Anyone a bit anxious about getting thin?

I have never been thin, and can't imagine myself that way. I don't actually think i will ever be thin - even if i get to target i probably won't look thin as my target will be at the upper end of my healthy range. Tbh - i don't want to be thin - i like my curves. I just want to be healthy.

This is a really interesting topic. I've never been slim in my whole life so literally cannot imagine it happening. I want it very much, but the idea of looking at myself and seeing a slim body feel too impossible to believe.

My only anxiety relates to how others might regard me, in particular, men. I've never had a lot of male attention in my life and have always been used to my prettier, slimmer friends attracting attention. Because of some events in my past I have very low self esteem and confidence and get very nervous around people. The thought that one day I might appear more attractive to others is a slightly scary thought as attention makes me extremely scared. In many way, I suppose my body has become a bit of a protective layer, distancing me from too much attention or contact with others. The idea that maybe I might be more appealing to others makes me a little scared.

I kind of understand how you feel. Ive never been thinner than a size 12 so i cant picture myself being any thinner. Tbh ive decided just to aim for that weight now rather than go lower cos i had trouble maintaining that!!!

I was a 'natural' size 8 until my early 20s. By natural, I mean my lifestyle enabled me to be that size without trying, I didn't aim to be a size 8. Then life/marriage (bad)/unhappy at work happened and then I ballooned and never really lost it. I'm aiming for 10 but if I find it difficult to maintain then I'd be happy with a 'comfortable size 12'.

wintersyve - I'm so glad it's not just me!!

I posted some before and after (well "during" technically as I still have 24lb to go) on the forum last weekend and totally freaked myself out! Someone else had put a photo of me facebook and the only thing I could think of was "look at my scrawny arms"! I'm still a size 16 so I am far from scrawny but it is so different to how I am used to looking that it has thrown me slightly.

I want to get down to a healthy BMI and/or a size 12 but people are already telling me to stop losing weight. At a size 16 I don't think I should stop but my husband is now starting to worry that I have some sort of problems as I am only focusing on the numbers.

I'm hoping that I will get used to my new body and know when I am at the right weight. It's very difficult.

Yes, I'm only half way to my target and people are starting top say "you'll disappear" but I don't see that at all. I'm definately happier with myself but some bits of my look (*I* think) the same as when I started SW. Perhaps people's comments are because they're used to seeing us so much larger and they can't visualise us as slim?

I know we often have a goal figure in our heads but I think you'll know the right weight/size when you get to it. I have my pre children weight stuck in my head but that was many years ago and I really dont want a slim body offset by a haggard face!!! My mum has told me she'll teall me when I've gone far enough and believe me she will!

Yeah, Mums are great ike that, aren't they? I have 2 very honest and up front sisters to rely on too :)

Hi Wintersyve

Getting slim wont happen overnight so you will have time to get used to the changes. If you are worried about your face looking old, make sure you have a good skincare regime to keep moisturised and try to include healthy fats (such as olive oil, nuts, avocado) in your diet. You look lovely in your picture I so don't think you have anything to worry about :)

Thankfully, my Mum's drumming in to me of looking after my skin started at 13. Always cleanse and moisturise so I definately think that has saved the state of my skin so far. Oh, and thank you :) :D

I lost 60lb (a similar amount to what you want to lose with similar heights and starting weights) and I think you can see a difference in my face. However, I feel all the better for it :D Remember if you get there and you don't like it, you can always bring yourself up to a weight that you feel comfortable with. It's your body and you're the best judge of what's best for you.

If you click on the link below, and about 5 posts down you can see the change in my face. :)

http://www.minimins.com/before-afte...ad-inspiration-post-your-photos-here-129.html

You look amazing. You still look like you but.. simply amazing!

Silly is right, you have a beautiful and elegant face! I noticed that too!

Awww..shucks. Thank you x :D

I definitely understand what you mean, I'm 21 and have NEVER been slim, so it'll be like revealing a completely different person and I have no idea what that person will look like. It's very scary to me!

Totally scary!

Not sure if this will make sense, but this is the best way I can get it out into words:

What worries me - having not been slim since my late teens/early twenties (having a baby and having a partner who turned out to be a feeder) is that, by the time I hit target, I will be 29 years old and I'm scared to death that I won't be able to get away with nice pretty clothes anymore.
I don't look my age, I still look like I'm 19 but I won't feel like I can enjoy the sort of clothes I want to be wearing.

Now I regret not really being bothered that i was so slight and could wear anything as a teen, it wasn't as important then as it is now. :(

I am sure that as you lose the weight your confidence will increase and you may find new clothes/styles hat you would not have thought you could wear. After all, the style of clothes you wore as a teen have moved on since. Plus there are a lot of different styles of 'pretty' out there.

I am 57 and have lost quite a lot off my face. My hubby looked at me this morning and said "yr face looks a lot thinner" I said, "you mean I look older since I have lost weight" He didnt say anything!!!!! Its a pity we cant just lose weight where we want to. I would like to lose more off my hips and tum, but hold it now on my face,arms,legs,and bust (dont know where that has gone but got nothing at all now except two fried eggs on a plate)!!! Think we all understand the worries, you have to be a slimmer to understand and happyhealthy you look lovely!

Yeah, it would be nice if we could target our weight loss woudn't it?
I'm weighing up how much I'm prepared to lose at the expense of my chesticles. I think that I will still have something left by the time I get to target but ultimately, being a healthy weight is my primary goal.

i think i look older and more tired in my face, its the only thing thats bothering me, because i have never been the weight that i am now and my face has always been chubby. i have never really worn makeup or used any kind of skincare regime, however i have decided to get myself to boots when i get the chance and invest in some good products that will hopefully give my skin a bit of life. i'm only 29 so i really should not been feeling like this so i know that its time to be taking more care of myself.
i think my husband is keen for me to set my target pretty soon, he has only ever known me at a size 16 or above so i think its a shocker for him too. he calls me scrawny now....in a nice way lol. but i set my target and he knows i will get there, i said i was going to do it so i will. i have areas that i need to lose a bit more from and i do lots of exercise to tone my body. its slow progress but i promised myself i wouldn't be disappointed at my target and i definitly wouldn't take it any further than my target weight. i'm just glad i've got a grip of controling my food intake and making healthier choices, i FEEL healthy now and thats my main thing. :)

Boots No 7 Protect and Perfect skincare (especially the serum) is very good if you don't want to spend a fortune.
I've had to bite the bullet and started exercising to improve the tone of my body. I hate exercise...

We seem to be about the same, I've lost 2 1/2 stone, and plan to lose at least another 2 stone.
Someone at work told me to stop as I have lost so much.[gone from a size 22 to 18] But also I can't 'see' that I have lost the weight, yes my clothes don't fit and I can move without getting out of breath. So its not just how you look that matters its how you feel, and at the moment I don't feel slim.

It's a good feeling isn't it when you can walk and talk without getting out of puff?

I have the same fears as it seems a lot of you have, getting the weight off is fine, Slimming World is great, I wish I'd known about it years ago! But I do worry as I'm close to target now, about keeping it off! :D

I don't think I'll struggle to keep my weight off, I feel great healthwise as I am now and that is my motivator (it's the vanity side that I'm anxious about!). I wish I knew in my early 20s what I know now about healthy eating.

People around me keep telling me I'm fine now. This is clearly not true. I want to get to super-slim while I am "in the zone".

I'm 46 now - so no spring-chicken. I'm the lightest/slimmest I've been since pre-teen - that's a few oceans of water under a few zillion bridges!!!

I want to be fit at 50 - not fat at 50.

I sometimes question other people's motives/reasons for me to lose no more weight, or maybe I'm paranoid?

I am also paranoid about putting any of it back on, let alone all of it! - my recent Florida experience (9.5lb on in 2 weeks) shows the potential, although to be fair I did conscientiously decide to eat everything I wouldn't normally as it was pre-paid.

It always seems to be a fine line or balancing act really......

Steve

Why is it so hard for someone to say "you look great"? You definately sound motivated, I'm sure you'll get there :)

This is a really interesting topic. I've never been slim in my whole life so literally cannot imagine it happening. I want it very much, but the idea of looking at myself and seeing a slim body feel too impossible to believe.

My only anxiety relates to how others might regard me, in particular, men. I've never had a lot of male attention in my life and have always been used to my prettier, slimmer friends attracting attention. Because of some events in my past I have very low self esteem and confidence and get very nervous around people. The thought that one day I might appear more attractive to others is a slightly scary thought as attention makes me extremely scared. In many way, I suppose my body has become a bit of a protective layer, distancing me from too much attention or contact with others. The idea that maybe I might be more appealing to others makes me a little scared.

I can't begin to imagine how you feelm but with enough support from friends and people on here, hopefully you'll learn to become confortable with a new and improved you. You know where we are xx

Thing is have been a skinny mini before but have had a few hiccups on the way. But tbh it is still aking feel anxious. This is for a multitude of reason but i want to be skinny and tbh i feel like i need to be(sorry if that sounds shallow lol). Urmmm i;ve lost 3st 6lbs this year. A stone was on my own, slimming world have done the rest. I look at pictures now and think wow opk thats a bit difference. Also i'm notcing it and eh hem when i go out other people are noticing it(which is not always good seeing i have a long term partner, like not interested lol). But i feel more confident but I will still feel like hiding away a little bit. I suppose we can never win at times -_- lol

I worry about what i will wear !,after just wearing what fits im not sure what my "style" is ?

I worry about what i will wear !,after just wearing what fits im not sure what my "style" is ?
I definitely agree with this! I don't really have a "style" just whatever evans are selling that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
It'll be interesting to see what I actually like when there are more options open.

Back