anyone else find this?

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by crazycrafter, 19 April 2009 Social URL.

1. crazycrafter

crazycrafter I have collar bones!

Start Weight:
    11st2lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4lb(20.51%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I've got to go to the doctors tomorrow - I think I've got yet another kidney infection. He'll give me a long course of antibiotics, but I always find I get bloated and put weight on with them. Am I the only one?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. paperclip

paperclip Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    Hiya,

Sorry to hear about the suspected kidney infection. Putting my pharmacy hat on....Feeling bloated while taking antibiotics (and the short period afterwards too) is not uncommon at all. Unfortunately antibiotics aren't yet capable of only targeting unwanted bacteria in your kidney - they also hit the bacteria in your stomach pretty hard (especially oral antibiotics obviously). This includes both the 'good' and the 'bad' bacteria and the lack of bacteria results in the bloated eeling when you eat food (explanation available, but I don't want to bore anyone!).

The best you can do to alleviate any side effects like this is to eat probiotic yogurts like Activia (fat free ones are syn free), or even better is to drink something like Actimel or Yakult. No syn free version of these as far as I know but Actimel are now doing a 0.1% fat version (1.5 syns each) which is a lot better than the regular ones (4.5 syns each).

I don't know why you put on weight as antibiotics don't usually affect that sort of thing...

Hope this bit of advice helps - get eating that 'good' bacteria!

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.