Anyone else with kids to feed?

sunnyslim

I am having a bit of a crisis.... I am relying WAY too much on microwave meals and soups for my two girls. (10 and 13mo.) Every time I slow cook something or cook it I just can't seem to help myself so I gobble, nibble and then realise what I'm doing and EEEEEK! Diet boom...:cry:
So I have gone onto processed avenue of 'most things I can't stand' to try and sort this out, but this is not healthy for tots main meals or a growing tween-not that she minds (so she says) but I REALLY do. :cry:There is salad in the fridge and fresh fruit, but as for main meals... I am hitting a wall!
What do you feed your kids to avoid the temptations?...quick easy foods that you find hard to nibble on until things really improve diet wise?
Any answers/help/peeps who have been here REALLY appreciated!:)

X

Pasta and noodles never tempt me and my boys (11 and 6) could eat them 24/7. So that's what I usually give them. When I feel stronger, I make more of an effort and make them something else that they like.

I'm also teaching them to fend for themselves, so they tend to make their own cereal for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch, with my older one taking responsibility.

It's really hard but this is what helps me.
Good luck x

baked potatoes, very a variety of different topping, ham , beans, cheese tuna, stir frys with chicken, quorn or prawns. , have some water to hand to drink when you feel yourself reaching for the food.

Im a childminder so im serving food to kids all day

Some days Im feeding 3 kids at the same time , they all bring their own food and some of it is so tempting , ha ha , should really admit i want to eat their food

I have no control over what they bring , i open their lunch bags and there it is cake , chocolate , crisps and I have to feed them

8.00-8.30 breakfast
9.30-10 snack
12.-1 lunch
230- 3.0 snack

you get the picture ....it just goes on all day long to be honest

Then Im thinking abut my son coming home and cooking him dinner and by this point Ive only had one pack

Some days its torture

At the moment Im cooking my son, pasta and meatballs ,rice tuna and sweetcorn , spag bol that sort of thing , i think if i was serving up dog food some days Id want to eat it

Things i definitely wont give him at the moment , pizza, chocolate cake , biscuits , crisps , chocolate bars , just cant have certain things in the house at all

Which isnt really much of a hardship for him , he has a pretty good diet anyway and these things are treats , he eats alot of fruit , which doesnt really tempt me , so we have plenty of apples, bananas and grapes in

It would be so much easier if I lived alone , I would miss him though lol

As your girls are 10 and 13 would you be able to use it as an excuse to get them cooking for themselves more? Maybe get them doing themselves a meal a week with you supervising in the background. Good for helping them learn to cook and less temptation for you.

Other than that I can't really help as I have no kids but I do sympathise as I live in student halls and have no control over what's happening in the kitchen. For the last week there has been chocolate cake sat in the fridge (which I was offered) and currently there is the remains of a different chocolate cake sat on a plate on the side. Also doesn't help that my american flat mate is addicted to cheesy chips so has them quite often which I can always smell.

Omg my son had chips last night and I can still smell them now :( :(

I'm lucky as my OH is doing most of the cooking for himself and the kids. But when I have to do it I'm just drinking water at the same time. Or a coke zero xx

i have 2 boys 5 and 6.5 yrs old,

i feed them things i dont like at the min :)

they eat alot of fish and boiled pots :)

or i do them chicken and veggies like i have then to theres i add a little rice and sweet n sour or something like that

that way they are eating better, im not tempted and we can all eat together, which is very important to me :)

good luck with finding a way that suits you x

Thank you for all your answers so far, great knowing I'm not the only one who is having a hard time juggling it all x

Back