anyone having success with slimming world despite pcos?

*Trying-again*

Plodding on til its gone
Hi Ive not been going to group but have been following Slimming world mainly green days on and off for a long time. Ive read in the last couple of days that carbs are not good with those of us who suffer with pcos which has made me wonder if this is why im not getting good results this time round. Ive not really lost any weight for ages and what i do lose goes I gain again within a couple of days.

I lost 2.5 stone about 4 yrs ago with Sw but its getting so much harder the older im getting.

Wondered if anyone has had much success with the red (original) days more so than the green high carb days?

Id be really interested to hear of your experiences with weight gain/loss alongside the ongoing battle with this dreaded pcos. I found out i had it 20 yrs ago its a dam curse as effects weight, mood, hair growth and many other things. Thankfully i found out i had it when my daughter was a year old so didnt effect fertility for me which im grateful for.

Karen x

Hi Karen,

I've been doing SW since April last year & have a constant battle. For every lb I lose I'll gain two. I've had hormone trouble since my teens & like you I have PCOS as well as two other things. It's very hard as I stick to SW 100% but don't get the results others get, I can only put it down to the hormones, there seems to be no other reason.

I'm veggie so I do either green or EE. I think if you search on the SW bit on here there's a lot who are in the same boat as us. The weight does come off, just VERY slowly.

And to add - I'm only 26 & I've never found it easy to lose weight so I'm unsure whether getting older can effect it when you have PCOS.

Hi Lisa

Well done on your weight loss so far. Like you say though its so slow going and very easy to give it up, but every time I do I gain the weight again plus more then every time I attempt to lose it again its harder than the last time. Im trying again now and on day 2 of slimming world im trying to stick to mainly red or EE as i feel carbs are my number one enemy for me. So cutting down on those for the time being so ill see how it goes, whether it makes much difference to the rate of weightloss or not.

Having PCOS is like taking one step forward and 2 steps back and people really dont get it or understand it unless they suffer from it. Friends of mine dont even try to understand where im coming from hence why i get my support from mini mims as there are loads of us in the same boat to support eachother on here.

Hope it all improves for you Karen x

my weight is up and down with slimming world but it is coming off slowly, but i'm not sure if its the pcos or just me in general cos it took a while to come off before when i lost 2.5 stone.

i've been doing slimming world since last summer and started off doing EE with good results to start with then i hit a wall so switched to mainly red days, have seen better results since cutting out the carbs.
like everyone has said though it seems so much harder with pcos :-( i seem to lose weight, then either put some back on or maintain for weeks on end

I have also been diagnosed with PCOS along with a Bicornuate uterus. I was recently in hospital with a burst cyst (so painful), but have realised that the best way to get through this is to lose weight. Its such a struggle as I feel like I'm a let down when I can't do it, I don't know whether having a medical reason makes this easier or harder. Sometimes I use it as an excuse, but I know deep down I can do this.

I've just started slimming world (after converting from WW) and am determined this time around I will do this, and hopefully one day have the body I've always wanted!!!

Hi well done on starting the healthy eating i have been on cambridge for a week now and its been a struggle but im keeping at it because the sooner i have an healthy bmi the sooner i can ttc, i know cambridge is not food related but i found the south beach diet good for my pcos it was based around low gi and sensible choices the first two weeks were tough but i felt great im on cambridge simply because im wanting results yesterday lol....keep strong and keep going im sure you will have some good results, any loss in my eyes is a good result :) xx

I've only just seen these posts.

I've been having acupuncture to try to sort my tummy problems as no medication even touches it. Even my acu therapist said to me losing weight will help, it's just hard knowing week in week out I stick to plan & give 100% & very rarely lose weight. Some months I'll have a fluke & lose three weeks in a row, other months I'll gain every week, hence why I am losing & gaining the same 7lbs all the time. Very frustrating :(

I know how you feel LisaC, previously to being on Slimming World, I was on WW and got down to 14st 7lbs, but for some reason I just couldn't stop putting on and losing 5 pounds around that weight. I seemed to just stick and it got so frustrating that I gave up and put it all back on again. I only wish now I'd spoken to someone or had someone to really encourage me to lose the weight! xx

Hi. I've been successful with SW in the past losing almost 1.5 stone in about 3 months or so. However this time around I am struggling with losing weight and am considering switching from green to extra easy?

Ive found slimming world hard to follow. I find that after a plate of white pasta i crave sugar. The cravings drive me crazy. I find a low carb diet transforms my eating habits moods, cravings, hair and periods! I really wish there was an alternative to WW and slimming world that prehaps was sugar free and low carb. Ive heard that the new WW plan is much better for us PCOS ladies than the old one but i havent tested it.
The only diet i seem to be able to both do without cravings and loose weight is a VLCD, Cambridge exante. Can you believe this is easier that slimming world for me!

have you considered switching your carbs for ones with a lower GI value, brown rice, whole wheat pasta?

I have had a couple months off slimming. World. I have gotten straight back to it and lost 11 pounds in3 weeks. I have been following extra easy and love it. I have cut down pasta and rice and am having grated cauliflower instead which is lovely. Slimming world does work for us pcos ladies! X

hi ladies

i have been doing slimming world and also have pcos, and have lost1st 4.5lb in 9 weeks, doing extra easy. i tend to stay away from too much bread and pasta but eat constantly

I'm also doing slimming World Extra Easy. started there on the 19th Jan and have so far lost 25.5lb (need 2.5lb for my 2stone and .5 for my 10%).
I find that just having extra variety has helped me, i dont generally eat much bread and mayb pasta 1 or 2 times a week.

Hi, this is my first post on this site, I kinda didnt feel qualified to give support when I was struggling so much myself. I was diagnosed with PCOS 14 years ago and have only ever managed to lose 1 or 2 stone following different diet clubs (inluding slimmers world) as soon as I stopped the weight piled on again. This time I am doing a low GI diet (putting all the dieticians information to good use) and exercising.... and I dont mean working out 3 times a week... I mean breaking a sweat for an hour EVERY day. It's hard, but if ur determined you can do it.... sugar is ur enemy and that unfortunatley means fruit and root vegetables too so ditch the carrot sticks in favour of a few cucumber sticks :).

weight.png

Hello, I'm Caroline and I also have PCOS. Well, I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2005 and at the same time my periods were all over the place, I'd rarely ever come on. Then I lost weight, got down to just under 11 stone and for ages my periods were regular. I have many of the other symptoms of PCOS, including a blood test that indicated it, then an abdo scan showing my ovaries were enlarged evenly all over, though they could not see detail.

I'm a bit self diagnosed from there on as I was suffering with naxiety I didn't want to go back for further scans etc. I don't want children anyway, so it's not a huge deal for me.

I'm on Metformin for my diabetes anyway but I've found losing weight just SO difficult. It feels like I have to put in 300% extra effort to somebody who hasn't got PCOS/diabetes. I'm now sticking to SW diet and making good Low GI choices but even PRIOR to that I was mostly mindful of Low GI choices and I was exercising regularly...anyone else would've lost weight but I simply maintained.

I'm positive that sticking to my EE SW plan will work this time as I can feel it working slowly already.

Much love to others going through this!!

I've lost 3stone with slimming world in 5 months! I think it works with it as it is low sugar. Also the fact we can't have processed food with contain high sugar content aswell as who knows what else definitely helps. Good luck & keep going x

I recently made it to my target through Slimming World. Took me ten months for 2.5 stone but there were plenty of times when I did NOT stick to it 100%.

I did a fair few Green days (I'm pescetarian) but I did on the whole try to be mindful of my carbs - having wholegrain whenever possible, and sticking to sensible portions (I always use the same cup to measure my rice for example). As a rough guide I often (though not always) tried to have 1/3-1/2 superfree, 1/3 protein and 1/3 carbs. And a couple of meals a week without basic carbs (so maybe beans, but not pasta).

Carbs are important - I believe they actually help us retain muscle when exercising - but it's all about balance.

I exercise a fair deal and I think this was key for me.

Back