Attack Anyone in France?

slinkysuz

Hi just about to go onto Cruise but am going to France on hols - just wondering if anyone can tell me some of the brands to look out for in terms of cottage cheese and yoghurt?
x:character00180:

I believe there a few long term members (didn't want to call them older members! :eek:) on here who are based in France. Maintainer I believe is one.
I am sure I read that they have a better choice for fat free cottage cheese than we have here.
I'm sure someone will be along soon to help you out.
Well done for planning ahead for your hols! :)

Were off next year again with our caravan so will def make a note of what to have :)
Love France, we wished we'd still booked this year but after buying new car and caravan we thought best to save a few pennies lol but now we wish we'd just gone for it!
Have a fab time and yes considering DD originates there you won't have any problems sourcing ingredients :) x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Well I'm in France at the moment and I find the choice is much worse than the UK but perhaps I just don't know where to look.

I am REALLY missing quark I can't find it anywhere.:sigh: I would try a little extra light cream cheese instead but it isn't available here either.

I am sure cottage cheese exists here but for the life of me I can't find it, not to mention rhubarb. goji beries and no fat cocoa. France is a desert for me on this diet outside of loads of 0% fromage frais, fromage blanc and yogurt. But I really miss my 0% Total Greek yogurt from the UK.:rolleyes:

I'm going on Tuesday, flying to Rennes then into the country with family, so little access to range of shops, a smaller than usual Super U is all. Think I'll need to go Conso style and eat fish and yogurts as much as poss. My aim is to hold what I've lost, if I can sts for the week I'll be happy. Wedding party on Saturday and Sunday, which will be hard.

I should have added that for a holiday it shouldn't be a problem finding lovely things to eat that are Dukan friendly. I am here for a while and just struggling for some of my basics.

Hope everyone that is going to France on holiday has a lovely time.:)

I live in France and this is day 1 of DD for me and I have to say that in my experience I am finding it difficult to fat fat free cheese, cottage or other. There is ff plain and vanilla yoghurt and plenty of ff fruit yogs with 37 cals in. Oatbran had to be purchsed from the health food shop. i do believe that Leclerc sell Jockey cottage cheese but unsure of fat content.
You can always find lots of fish and crab sticks are great for snacking on.

Hi, I live in France, and you can buy quite a few things in the supermarkets, although you do have to scour for them a bit.
*'Son d'avoine' is oat bran and you can get this at most supermarkets (not the small village ones). It can be found in the 'dietique' aisle (with health foods)
*Germe de Ble is wheat bran, again in same aisle as above.
*Skimmed milk is 'ecreme' and you can only normally find longlife milk (it's ok when chilled)
* Cottage cheese is really hard to find. The only place I've found it is in a 'Geant' hypermarket. It is called 'cottage cheese - recette anglaise' and is made by Jockey (in a green packet). It is made with skimmed milk (ecreme) and is 3.9% fat for 100g (2 x 200g in a pack)
*Quark - I use '0% Fromage Blanc'
*Yoghurts - unfortunately I've never found a low fat Greek yoghurt, and Muller lights don't exist (sniff, sniff), but you can loads of 0% yoghurts - brands include 'Taillefine' and also 'Ferme et Fondant' (which is what Dukan recommend), all in a variety of flavours.
*Cheese - there is generally a small section for low fat cheese - Bridelight do a low fat cheese similar to 'Vache qui rit/Laughing cow' and also a hard cheese.
*Creme Fraiche - again Bridelight is only 4%
*Rhubarb - as this is a seasonal product (and French supermarkets tend to only sell seasonal fruit & veg),you can only get this frozen - Thiret or Piccard are frozen food shops.
*Tinned sardines - you can get some lovely tinned ones that are in lemon and basil (no oil), which are lovely on the Dukan bread (which I grill or toast so that it is slightly crunchy.

If there are any other things you need to know, I'll try to help out!

JaneyPenny, that is very helpful, thank you very much. I have never been in a Piccard and have never seen a Thiret so will definitely check them out for rhubarb.

I personally really miss Quark. I do use Fromage Blanc but for me it doesn't compare. I adore Quark with sweetener, to me it tastes like cheesecake.

I had some of the goji berries and fat free sugar free Tesco cocoa in the UK just wish I had thought to bring supplies of them with me as well as a cooler full of Meadow Churn Quark of course. However, I didn't know he recommended the Ferme et Fondant so will definitely try them. Thank you again.:)

Hi, I live in France, and you can buy quite a few things in the supermarkets, although you do have to scour for them a bit.
*'Son d'avoine' is oat bran and you can get this at most supermarkets (not the small village ones). It can be found in the 'dietique' aisle (with health foods)
*Germe de Ble is wheat bran (NO... sorry but it's "son de blé", not germe...), again in same aisle as above.
*Skimmed milk is 'ecreme' and you can only normally find longlife milk (it's ok when chilled)
* Cottage cheese is really hard to find. The only place I've found it is in a 'Geant' hypermarket. It is called 'cottage cheese - recette anglaise' and is made by Jockey (in a green packet). It is made with skimmed milk (ecreme) and is 3.9% fat for 100g (2 x 200g in a pack)
*Quark - I use '0% Fromage Blanc'
*Yoghurts - unfortunately I've never found a low fat Greek yoghurt, and Muller lights don't exist (sniff, sniff), but you can loads of 0% yoghurts - brands include 'Taillefine' and also 'Ferme et Fondant' (which is what Dukan recommend), all in a variety of flavours.
*Cheese - there is generally a small section for low fat cheese - Bridelight do a low fat cheese similar to 'Vache qui rit/Laughing cow' and also a hard cheese.
*Creme Fraiche - again Bridelight is only 4%
*Rhubarb - as this is a seasonal product (and French supermarkets tend to only sell seasonal fruit & veg),you can only get this frozen - Thiret or Piccard are frozen food shops.
*Tinned sardines - you can get some lovely tinned ones that are in lemon and basil (no oil), which are lovely on the Dukan bread (which I grill or toast so that it is slightly crunchy.

If there are any other things you need to know, I'll try to help out!

Hi - just had to intervene there re "germe de blé.

As the above poster remarked, the recommended yoghurts are the Sveltesse Ferme & Fondant ones (and ONLY the 0% ones, not the chocolate, etc. ones which have been added to the range which are "1.something" fat).

For cheese, there are fat free cheeses called carré frais. There is a plain one, and a garlic + herb one (similar to Boursin).

Cottage cheese isn't ok in attack here as it's not fat free. Quark I've never found. Stick to 0% fat fromage frais or fromage blanc.

Being in France, and seeing what is and isn't available actually makes it rather blatant how many things have been ADDED IN to the diet to suit the overseas palate!!

Thankyou so much for your replies - feel better armed to at least vaguely stick to it when I'm away! Think I'll try as much as possible but not to the extent it spoils hol - then do a quick attack when I get back!

x

You started Dukan last week and you're going on holiday when? You'll find it a heck of a lot easier to CONTINUE the diet than to restart after holiday...

We go away on August 17th. I guess you're right about sticking to it - I guess mentally I am preparing myself that if it doesn't go right on hol then I will get straight back to it when I get back if you see what I mean?

ooooh trust me, I do know EXACTLY what you mean... but those sort of thoughts usually lead me into great temptation... so best not have them and plan what you will eat to stay in sync with this diet.

The first time at it is the easiest. Kind of like when we used to try vaulting in the school gym (I typed pole vaulting first then realised that was ridiculous!!!!). Our first shot was usually our best. Subsequent attempts to get over that darned "horse" thing were usually more feeble as we became progressively more tired and weak.

<trust me... I know...>

Back