Anyone out there show dogs?- photography

Maximus

Gold Member
Just wondering about protocol in these things.

A friend/colleague of mine, Carol, shows Rottweilers and has showed me a few pictures of her dogs which are very poor quality. They are gorgeous dogs and she is becoming very succesful at the shows - or at least they are.

We're not talking Crufts here, just local shows.

Anyway, I do photography and have all the kit and after seeing her pics of her beloved pooches, I said I would do some for her with the dogs at work, rest and play.

September 11th is a fairly local show and I've arranged to go with camera kit and lenses for some in-show shots. Does anyone know the protocol for this regarding taking pictures at said events?

I assume it is ok as she has invited me, but is it ok to do them as they "show" or whilst "on parade" or does it have to be outside the judging circle or environment? I don't want to go getting anyone in trouble or causing a paparazzi-style incident!

Also, might seem a silly question, but is flash photography allowed? - I can shoot without flash if necessary.

I'm sure a few of you out there will have or currently show your pooches and I wondered how easy it is to photograph. Maybe Carol can get me some sort of visitors pass for up-close stuff?

Any help appreciated.

Steve

I would suggest you contact the shows secretary and ask what the protocol is. Every show is different and has it's own set of rules.

Normally only press photographers are allowed in the ring.

I was just about to suggest asking Sue, as I believe she is pretty familiar with stuff like this, but she already beat me to it lol :D

Don't forget to show off your talents afterwards Steve! I love Rottweilers, I used to house sit for two and had a boyfriend who had one called Boris who used to sit on my knee facing me and gaze adoringly! We weighed about the same back then and it was a tad uncomfortable!

I would suggest you contact the shows secretary and ask what the protocol is. Every show is different and has it's own set of rules.

Normally only press photographers are allowed in the ring.

I still have some old press badges somewhere from a previous career;) - as I don't know the secretary, I will ask Carol to find out for me. After all it is me doing the favour and for free:cool:

I was just about to suggest asking Sue, as I believe she is pretty familiar with stuff like this, but she already beat me to it lol :D

I thought about that, but in truth Sue knows very little. It's Paul who's the brains in that outfit. Common knowledge is that;)

Don't forget to show off your talents afterwards Steve! I love Rottweilers, I used to house sit for two and had a boyfriend who had one called Boris who used to sit on my knee facing me and gaze adoringly! We weighed about the same back then and it was a tad uncomfortable!

I'll put a few pics on here - I'm sure it is allowed:)

I've been called some things in my time, young man, but never a show dog. :eek:

I'd never pass the teeth :D inspection anyway! :8855:
Win, lose or place you're always best in show Minxie:p

Aye, 'tis true what they say....you can choose your friends but you can't choose.......

Right back at ya mumsie;) x

Back