Anyone running whilst doing slimming world?

Hi all

Just wondered if there's anyone out there running at the same time as slimming world-ing?

As you'll see from my sig, I have to train for a half marathon in sept. I told my friend about restarting training (my willpower comes and goes) and doing slimming world at the same time.

She's done a half marathon once in the past but doesn't believe in dieting. She's a similar size to me and just believes in exercise.

Her reacting to me doing sw at the same time as training was that I wouldn't have enough energy, but my view is that carrying around 5 extra stone doesn't give me much energy either! And surely eating healthily whilst training is better than carrying on eating rubbish?

What's you guys experience if you have any? Has running sped up your sw loss or hindered it? Do the 2 go well together or does slimming world not allow enough food of some type to let me train properly?

I have to say I'm having a hard time getting my head around her theory, but as she's done a run like this before and I havnt, maybe I'm wrong?

Hello there :)

Fab that you're doing the Great North Run in September - I am too and I am very excited!!

To get to the crux of your issue. My belief is that what your friend is saying is absolute tosh. I would ignore her. By all means, let her do things her own way, that's absolutely fine. But it's none of her business to stick her nose in what you're doing. What I hear you saying is that your friend has run a half marathon before and is happy with her size. You're the same size, planning on training and running for a half marathon and are not happy with your size. Enter SW.

I have been running consistently since February 2014. I have followed SW this entire time too. I have completed multiple 10ks, half marathons and even a marathon a couple of weeks ago. I also have lost weight whilst doing this too.

For me, SW is not a diet. It is a healthy and sustainable eating plan. It works whether you run or whether you don't run.

You can't out train a bad diet anyway. If you want to lose weight, you have to do something about your food in addition to the running. SW is actually perfect as it allows plenty of carbohydrate, protein and fresh fruit and veg. Perfect for runners.

To answer your question, you'll be fine doing both :)

That's really encouraging, thanks Opal_lily :)

I'm only on week 2 of slimming world, and just done my first run for a few weeks, I really am a lazy git! I managed 3.25 miles though on my first day back (yay muscle memory!) and I'm hoping this will really help me to gain some muscle and get my metabolism going a bit to get the fat off faster! I'm kind of expecting a slower loss on the scales whilst I'm training and eating right, due to muscle gain. Is this correct or should I expect to see the same kind of losses as I would if I didn't exercise? I know what I'm like, I get downhearted if I don't see a couple of pounds off a week but as this is the first time I've run and slimming world-ed I'm assuming things will be different this time and I just have to get my head around that and not let it bother me!

My friend seems happy with her size (I'm really not happy with mine!), but she's never run a half since. She said it was really hard on her. I'm guessing as I get lighter I will find this easier... or at least I hope I will. I'm pretty slow - 13 min miles, kind of embarassing really when my 67 year old dad can run under 8-9! Oh well, maybe one day I'll be speedy too! Just can't see it right now, I feel a bit like a steam train, slow but steady and carrying far too much cargo!!

I would like to start running. I've been thinking that for ages. My treadmill is just gathering dust. I'm sat in Sainsbury's cafe right now and was thinking I'm going to go home and definitely get on the treadmill. Perhaps this thread will help to motivate me- I vertao hope so!

Last but not least, well done to you guys for doing so well!

That's really encouraging, thanks Opal_lily :)

I'm only on week 2 of slimming world, and just done my first run for a few weeks, I really am a lazy git! I managed 3.25 miles though on my first day back (yay muscle memory!) and I'm hoping this will really help me to gain some muscle and get my metabolism going a bit to get the fat off faster! I'm kind of expecting a slower loss on the scales whilst I'm training and eating right, due to muscle gain. Is this correct or should I expect to see the same kind of losses as I would if I didn't exercise? I know what I'm like, I get downhearted if I don't see a couple of pounds off a week but as this is the first time I've run and slimming world-ed I'm assuming things will be different this time and I just have to get my head around that and not let it bother me!

My friend seems happy with her size (I'm really not happy with mine!), but she's never run a half since. She said it was really hard on her. I'm guessing as I get lighter I will find this easier... or at least I hope I will. I'm pretty slow - 13 min miles, kind of embarassing really when my 67 year old dad can run under 8-9! Oh well, maybe one day I'll be speedy too! Just can't see it right now, I feel a bit like a steam train, slow but steady and carrying far too much cargo!!

It's hard for me to say as everybody is different. I think if you're following SW and running at the same time, it's healthier to look at your losses over a 1 month period. I think it's healthier for women too as our weights can vary depending on our hormone cycle At least looking at it monthly, if there are fluctuations week in/week out, you know overall it is going in the right direction.
It is important to remember though that you never burn as many calories as you think you do. So don't get into a habit of overeating (even free foods) to "compensate" for doing exercise. If you follow SW and eat the right amount of food in the right portions and get the balance right (veg/protein/carbs), your body will get what it needs.

Always remember too that when it comes to running, the finish line doesn't care how many miles you've run or how fast you've run them... all it cares about is that you finish what you started :)

I started doing the couch to 5k training program at the same time as starting slimming world as I have a 5k run to do in June and want less excess fat to carry on the run.

Sounds like your doing fab by deciding to eat healthy and run. I think you need to be eating heathy to train optimum and get the best out of your training.

Good luck with your run I hope in the future to be able to run a half marathon

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

Hey all- there is a thread on the off topic bit for bods doing the C25k, (on an iPad so don't know how to post a link......)

Supermassivewide load- your losses may slow in the early stages as your muscles hold onto fluid whilst they are recovering (lymph fluid brings nutrients and takes waste away, think about lots and lots of tiny ankle sprains in each muscle), but as they get used to the new exercise you may find they pick up again - but your overall shape will be better than no exercise either way

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins.com

I run a lot and although I'm at target, I do follow the plan still. I find that it is more than enough to sustain my running. In fact I did 8 miles last Thursday and ran a 5k pb within that plus clocked my fastest mile yet (6min34!) and I put it down to the fact I'd eaten so well during the day as I definitely find all the fruit and veg is great fuel.

I did a half marathon last October and I did find the training meant I was pretty hungry a lot of the time, but then I was doing 35 miles a week so it's understandable. I wasn't following slimming world at the time but I think even if I was, I'd have just upped my carb portion.

Good luck!

Hiya,

I've been doing SW since July last year and started running earlier this year. I did my first 5k a few weeks back and I'm doing another in 2 weeks.

As Opal _Lily said SW and running go perfectly together and your friend is talking Tosh. I've found that since I've been doing the running I have been losing inches as well as pounds and people are really starting to notice my weight loss :)

Hi I have invested in a Fitbit this way it logs yours steps sleeps active exercise an u can enter the food you have eaten that tells you how many calories to against how many u have burned maybe this can help you keep track of also registers your sleep to ice only had mine for the day but I like it to keep track

ohhhh an you can also compete against other friends who have one in daily challenges

I agree with Opal Lily.

I don't run any more due to a badly damaged knee in a car accident (partly why I found myself needed Slimming World lol!) so now I do a 35 minute intense workout on a mini trampoline 4 or 5 times a week. I have never felt lacking in energy! In fact quite the opposite. Before I started eating so healthily I felt sluggish and tired most of the time. You will definitely find your running gets easier as you get lighter, you will be putting much less impact on your joints, and be at much less risk of injury. What's not to like?!

It's a win/win situation :)

It also builds up healthy habits. The more I run, the more healthy food I want to eat to fuel my body properly. So even if I have a few days off plan or go on holiday, when I get back and start running again, my food falls in with it.

I think in the long term, you are just being a healthier person overall, and that's never a bad thing for when you get to maintaining :) x

I started sw then the following week started a couch to 10k training app. Best thing I ever did, it helps with the weight loss, makes me feel healthier and is starting to give me more energy too. I have never exercised in my life and have been doing this 6weeks now and has just slotted into my life. I think if you want the most out of your weight loss than exercising can only enhance it and its always good for you to exercise. Also for your mental health!!
I love doing my afternoon or evening run now and some weeks even add an extra run in as i feel so good afterwards. Keep going. If you want to do both, do both. Its your fitness, health and noone can tell you what is best for you :) xx

Sw fits in well with exercise because of the "if you're hungry then eat" rule. As long as you choose the right foods to eat then you'll be fine. I've been told (not by sw and not sure if its correct) that after exercise you should eat protein (thats why gym bunnies swig protein drinks down). I try to have a piece of chicken after a hard workout as its free lol

Though as said before "you cant outrun a bad diet"

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone :)

Well I weighed in today, and only lost 1lb in week 2. Not going to let it put me off though, I have to gain muscle running and even at 1lb a week that's still about 3 stone in a year! Plus it's about how I look more than how I weigh really to me. Trying to get myself a summer holiday booked to keep my enthusiasm going! (Like I need any more pressure with a half marathon to train for!)

Well done on your loss

I find it good to take measurements (chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf, upper arm) as I can have a loss of inches with no weight loss on the scales when I'm exercising. Stops you getting demotivated if you see something going down

Im running as well as doing the diet. My first few weeks i lost quite a bit. But has slowed now. I dont think running will build enough muscle to make any difference to your weight loss. You would need to be at the gym doing weights for that. Thanks

Back