Anyone successfully moved from VLCD to SW or WW?

wannabeminime

Gold Member
I am thinking about moving to a different programme, either SW, WW or even Rosemary Conley. I have lost 5 st with Cambridge, and i have completely run out of steam with it. I have have so many day 1's i have lost count. I think i just need to eat 'normally' again, even if its just temporarily, but i dont think i could do 790 or 1000 successfully as they are too boring for me. Dont get me wrong, i love cambridge for totally transforming my body, but i cant do it anymore.

Has anyone moved over to SW/WW without gaining? Which one should i choose? Which is best? I have done both in the past, neither particularly successfully, but i think it would be different this time as i have lost the 'unmanagable mountain' that i wanted to loose,and i just have a couple of 'managable' stones to go.

Im not sure of anyone who has switched but I am sure many have, my tip though would be to follow through the steps to stabalise your weight and then join a club rather than jumping in to eating straight away x

I went straight onto WW when I had to come off Cambridge. Stayed on it for 3 weeks, then had the okay to go back onto SSing.

I didn't lose any weight in that time, but possibly could have if I stuck at it longer.

Hey wannabeminime....I tried a VLCD diet so many times and its just not for me. Im so miserable when Im on the diet and I feel like my social life crumbles. I started WW 3 weeks ago and have lost 10.5lbs to date. I absolutely love the diet. I never feel deprived or hungry and Ive even had a few very drunken nights out! You have to do what diet is best for you! I stick to WW 100% but as I say VLCD is a no no for me! xxx

Last edited:
Hey wannabeminime....I tried a VLCD diet so many times and its just not for me. Im so miserable when Im on the diet and I feel like my social life crumbles. I started WW 3 weeks ago and have lost 10.5lbs to date. I absolutely love the diet. I never feel deprived or hungry and Ive even had a few very drunken nights out! You have to do what diet is best for you! I stick to WW 100% but as I say VLCD is a no no for me! xxx

Hi LL!

Thats a great loss so far! Youre doing really well! Are you doing the points diet? Or the no count?

Bex xx

I count points. Started on 22 a day and dropped to 21 by my 2nd week! Its more than enough and it encourages you to eat the right things. If I do want a blow out day (like this week) I can easily save my points and over enduldge without feeling at all guilty! 21points a day get me alot of food and theres lots of low fat low cal products that barely ammount to any points. Most salad and fruit is also free, sometimes I find myself using points for no reason as I cant drop them too low!! xx

No not at all! I find it really simple. I have an electronic calculator. You press the calories, then the saturated fat and it tells you the exact points value. The only thing I ave to work out is my chips! WW that is! Things like cheese etc where you have to limit your ammount you may need to point but its really not complicated at all!! x

Hi KD,

Why do you think you didnt loose on WW?

Probably because I went straight from a VLCD. The ol' glycogen filling up and all that.

I did no count, but I did watch my portion sizes. Personally, I didn't see any point in doing the point one (get the point? :D) Might as well count calories, at least that's written on all your foods, but that just my preference.

The thing I like about WWpoint plan is that it takes into account fat content that will saturate. If you count cals only your likely to eat high fat food which will hinder weight loss and is not very healthy! With WW the lower the saturated the lower the points value,hence your eating more of the good stuff!! xxx

The thing I like about WWpoint plan is that it takes into account fat content that will saturate. If you count cals only your likely to eat high fat food which will hinder weight loss

Umm. Not necessarily. A calorie is a calorie after all. Might not be healthy to eat too much fat though, but then it's not healthy to eat too little either.

Anyway, it depends how you count your calories. Most online ones have a target fat you try to aim for.

I'm not knocking WW. I've done it many times myself, and SW, and Slimming Magazine club, and RC. They are all good plans if your head is in the right place for the one you're doing. That applies to calorie counting too!

Hhmmm, think i may do the free trial on WLR, see how that goes, and join a diet club too as i think the weekly weigh in may keep me on track. Need to do some thinking over the weekend methinks...

Hi Bex

I did CD and lost the majority of my weight on it. Once I got close to my target I slowley switched over to WW. I followed the CD maintenance up to the 1000 plan..and then started to convert everything into WW points including the CD packs I was still having. :)

I will check my diary later at home and post what I converted 1000 & 12000 Cd plan into WW points. I think it worked out fairly low, and a bit lower than what you would normally start WW on for your weight etc.

I gradually started to up the points to the 'normal level' over a few weeks... as I didnt want to suddenly put loads of weight back on by filling up my glycogen stores. :eek:

By doing it slowly I didnt put back on, and am pleased to say I have lost since fully coverted over to WW. I was 10st 11.5 when started going over to WW and am now 10st 5lbs. So I have lost.. it is a lot slower though!! so bear that in mind, and it can be agonising at times.... am finding that I stick for ages, and then loose a couple of pounds overnight! Its wierd but going in the right direction. :D

I am so pleased I had no massive increase in weight when I converted over, and do think that if you do it slowly then thats best. Gives your body time to adjust.

I did mull over what I was going to do after CD, and for me as I knew WW (did it years ago and knew the points system works very well) it seemed the perfect choice for me. I am happy with WW, I know how much I can eat, and pointing is easy once you have got the hang of it. :D :D

As long as you count it, add it up and try not to bust... you will loose weight.

You get extra points for exercise too, I havent used any of these yet as still have a few pounds to go to get to target. So prefer not to use them.

I would seriously give WW some consideration or Slimming World, thats good too. I couldnt get on with SW when I tried earlier last year... because for me I need to 'limit' my food. WW points does this, SW doesnt. If I have my set points I know where I stand. :D :D

Hope that helps a bit. :)

Good luck with which ever plan you decide on. If you do do WW, look forward to seeing you on the minimims WW sub forum.

Deb x

Thanks for posting that Deb, its really good to know thats its possible to switch over without gaining!
I think your way sounds really good, converting cd1000 to points, it would be useful to know their points value! I have never done the points system, and find it a bit daunting though. I too think i need to limit my intake. I have done SW, and find that i eat too much, then dont loose, so get depressed. In fact, i think i gained on green days! Too many carbs!

Hi Bex

I was told once (but not sure how true it is) that approx 60 cals = 1 point. But that doenst take into account the saturated fats so its very approximate... but is a good guideline. When I am out and about, if I pick something up I can roughly guess how many points by diving the calories by 60. If there is a lot of sat fat in though it will be a lot higher.

So CD 1000 is approx 16 points!

When I was on Cd 1000 I started converting everything over into WW points. The CD packs, the bars and the evening meals etc.. and pointed it all up.

I cant recall what it came too points wise, but will check tonight when get home and look at my food diary so you can see how much it worked out.

Did that for a few weeks, and then started adding a few different foods..like fruit, cereal, more veggies etc. Made it a slow, gradual increase in intake in normal foods..and a few treats too. :D :D :D :D

Points are easy, honest. I would recommend you get one of the WW points calculators or a WW database.

Starlight has one spare

http://www.minimins.com/weight-watchers/8644-weight-watchers-database-calculator.html

I have the database, mines quite old but I find it invaluable. It has some foods in there, the basics, and the points calc so you can work out the points value of ANY food as long as you have the cals and sat fat. Its so easy to do, and will soon get the hang of it.

Like you I cant do SW as I gain on that plan as I eat too much. :D :D :D . I like the simplicity of WW points. I have my daily allowance and I know where I am then.

You can save some of your points, up to 4 a day to save for special occasions etc. Thats very handy.

You can do WW online but its a bit pricey. A class may be best and then you would get all the books and guidance on how to start pointing.

I really can recommend WW, its a good system. :) :) :)

Deb x

Thank you so much for taking the time to post Deb! I have asked Starlight about the database. I will take a look, and i THINK i will start WW next week. My local one is on a Thurs Eve, so i think i will go!

Thanks again!

Hi Bex,

just checked my daiy for when I started working over to WW

On CD 1000 + following WW points

Typical day eg:

Breakfast
CD pack. = 2
Cereal + milk= 2

Lunch
CD soup. = 2
Large salad with quorn style beef or chicken = 1.5

Dinner
40g pasta + 100g Quorn + free veg. = 4
Apple. = 0.5
Low fat yogurt. = 1

And carried on that theme..varying each day with different things on CD 1000. The points averaged out at about 14 a day.

The points do work out quite low when you start, but as you are introducing food back in I dont think that will hurt. Better to go slow and let your tummy get used to things. I remember it felt uncomfortable when I was on 1000 as my stomach had shrunk.

I carried on following Cd 1000 for about 2 weeks, and then cut back to one CD pack a day for the following week, but added more food in replace of the one stopped.

Upped my points to 16 a day then. Did that for a week. Then went onto 18 a day, which is what I am on now today. This is the correct amount of points for me to still loose weight. I am doing so but a lot slower.

Its nice to have food again. CD is brilliant and i wouldnt hesitate to recommend it to anyone, WW is excellent to help you maintain and get back on track whilst keeping in control.

Ok, you can have blips but you can pull back if you do. Afterall we are all human. :D

Wishing you all the best if you do decide to join WW, am sure you wont be disappointed and will enjoy your eating food again.

Deb x

Back