Appalling 0.5lb first week loss

I'm a bit of a newbie - this time around! I did SW very successfully a few years ago and have just started again.

Although I stuck rigidly to the plan I only lost a half-pound, which was very disappointing. A few things may have affected the loss: (a) I never drink enough fluids. I hate water so I have Diet Coke, diet fizzy orange, no-added-sugar squash and Ribena but I still can't make myself drink enough; (b) I do very little exercise due to an arthritic knee and various back complaints; and (c) I do have the occasional alcoholic drink although I save my syns up when I know I'm going to and definitely did not exceed my syn allowance during the week.

Not sure if anyone else has had a similar experience. For information, I am a 62 year-old, 5' 7" man weighing just over 14st and I attend a very good group in Balham, London. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi
Have you posted a food diary?(just in case) Have you just finished another diet? It can take a while for the body to readjust, especially after Dukan type diets. Keep at it and I am sure you will see a bigger loss next week. And a loss is a loss!
keep us posted

I lost 1lb in my first week and was equally disappointed, although during image therapy I realised that I wasn't having enough superfree food, for example for my breakfast I was only having beans on toast (HEB) and no superfree, I changed to fruit, weetabix crunchy bran and a muller light and found that that helped me to get a good loss the following week.

There are so many people who feel they have a disappointing 1st week but things catch up eventually but I would still say this is a loss and it's not to be sniffed at. Stick to it and see how this week goes. Make sure you write everything down that passes your lips and also check the syns of your alcohol. Saving syns doesn't work for everyone and maybe it worked in the past but sadly might not work this time (def doesn't work for me). Not sure about all the fizzy drinks with sweetener as, again, people sometimes don't lose as well (there have been some studies looking at this recently), but other people drink loads and have no problem. Would suggest as the other poster said, post a diary and if you are doing EE do make sure that you are having your 1/3 superfree. However despite all that, you have lost so well done you :)

Thanks everyone for the comments. Yes, I have been doing the Dukan and tried one of the ones where they send you the food (Diet Chef) but the food was so awful that I gave up and went back to SW. I forgot to do the food diary the first week but am doing one this week so will post it later. I'll keep my eye on the soft drinks and alcohol, sticking to sprirts and diet mixer rather than wine.

It's probably the shift from Dukan then as your body adjusts to carbs again. Just stick with it and you will keep losing. Think keeping a diary is a good idea and will be good for you to look back on the week. Might seem like a faff but I do often look back and you can begin to see patterns emerging. Have a great week :)

Good luck Ian. I did Dukan back in April and lost a stone in 3 weeks...but they were the most miserable 3 weeks of my life!! I couldn't keep it up and once i began to eat normally it all came back on...then a stone more! So here i am a SW, where i should have been all along...i just love carbs too much :D

I had a 0.5lb gain my first week despite following the plan. I came from WW so think it was my body adjusting, most weeks I lost since though except for round TOTM when I usually gained 0.5lb.

Maybe your adjusting following Dukan or is it TOTM? Either way a loss is still a loss even though I know you a disappointed that's 0.5lb less than you weighed last week!

Heh! We have TsOTM too, when we feel a tad crap but in different ways - usually after drinking too much. And I'm 62, so I am in continuous pain of some kind! :)

I maintained the first week :) so don't worry about a slow start. The people with the most significant losses are usually the people who have to make the biggest lifestyle changes - if you had a fairly healthy diet prior to joining that may be why you haven't seen a massive loss this week. Drinking loads of water is definitely a good way to get rid of any excess water weight and to fill you up rather than eating (dehydration = hunger).

my other half gained 1.5lb in his first week LOL!

Well, a disappointing third week (0.5lb loss) after a 2.5lb loss last week. Can't work out what I'm doing wrong. My consultant went over my food diary with a fine-tooth comb and says it's fine. All I can think of is that I don't drink enough water or do enough exercise. I get the feeling that I may have to go back to the dreaded Dukan! :banghead:

ok Ian, I am tempted to slap you a little here (sorry!):copon:. You have lost 3.5lbs in 3 weeks (correct me if I am wrong), you have done this whilst eating healthily with a good selection of fruit and veg, whilst not being starving hungry and miserable, whilst getting your body back into a new eating regime after Dukan, whilst not have a huge amount to loose and whilst probably having a slower metabolism as you are in your 60s.

If you continue at this rate you will loose 1/2 stone per month, which is a healthy rate to loose it. All in all that's great and Rome wasn't built in a day! Stick with it!

Right, rant over:eek:.

Grr...OK then. Maybe my expectations are too high after the big losses on Dukan. I'll try to lower them! Thanks for the supportive words - much appreciated.

Hi Ian, I am 66 years old, have severe arthritis in hips, knees and spine, I had problems getting up and downstairs, walking, sitting in the car, housework, had to give up nursing because of the damage. I had steadily gained weight, occasionally losing a little but it all came back, with friends!! Back in February I went to my first meeting in desperation, since then, despite being unable to do exersize, I have lost steadily and now at 4.5st down am able to cope with a little walking and light housework and can now manage to get up and down the stairs mainly on two feet instead of all fours. Its pretty obvious that the actual arthritis hasnt improved as such because if I carry anything a little heavy the pain in my knees hips and spine is still excruciating, but obviously the loss of weight has improved the way my drugs work and lessened the pressure on my damaged joints.
Stick with it, SW really does work, it may not be as fast as some programmes but it's far more sustainable in the long term.

Back