Appetite

dreamer85

Hi guys, about 5 weeks in now and my appetite is back with a VENGEANCE!

Last week i could barely face food n this week it seems my stomach is a bottomless pit... Is this normal?!

Not really normal for the appetite to come rushing back - with Atkins you tend to loose all appetite.

Have a look at what you are eating - if you are eating too many carbs this could be why you feel so hungry

A one off is possible - just a nibbly day. But if it's that monster hunger in your belly then more likely an insulin response. Either carbs or something you cant tolerate even though relatively low carb or polyols - had any atkins bars?

If anything some days i think i eat too little carbs, maybe thats where im going wrong?!

I dont eat any SF foods or atkins bars etc, they dont agree with my gut. The only thing i treat myself to is dr pepper zero once every few days. I guess i'll stop that n see how it goes :/

Maybe you're just hungry because you need more? I eat plenty and always need extra when i exercise :)

Oooh actually katie im so silly, ive REALLY upped my exercise regime the past week... I think the answer was staring me in the face haha!

That's the problem with exercise it actually increases your appetite....that's why I'm only walking this time around. I found that I was so hungry & felt I needed to treat myself, so I ended up consuming more calories than I was working off!!

Be careful not to eat too little. That causes stalls. Atkins is not like other diets! And yes, over-exercising will make you much hungrier. Having said that exercise is good, just don't go for the burn or whatever. With Atkins, moderation is definitely the key note.

Looks like you found the cause! But just in case it helps anybody, it seems that food allergies/intolerance can trigger a very persistent hunger. I wonder whether in fact that's why cheese or nuts can stall some people- they have a mild intolerance?

So if i do 30mins of med/hard cardio and 30mins of weights (burning approx 500 - 550 cals) how much should i up my net carbs allowance?

boggins said:
Looks like you found the cause! But just in case it helps anybody, it seems that food allergies/intolerance can trigger a very persistent hunger. I wonder whether in fact that's why cheese or nuts can stall some people- they have a mild intolerance?

Oh wow really? I didnt know this, ive started snacking on walnuts, maybe they are a cause too?

I don't know, but I imagine the exercise is a more likely cause. I suppose the only way to be sure is to experiment- cut out the walnuts for a few days and see how you feel.

Back