APPLYING FAKE TAN - ANY TIPS?

rubyberrie

Working My Way to Thin!
Hi Girlies

As the the weather is gradually improving, I guess it will not be long before before the old 'milk bottle legs' will be out on show after being covered up by tights and trousers for the last few months

Has anyone got any tips on how to successfully apply fake tan, without looking like I have been tango'd?

Any tips gratefully received

Hi Sue,i have found this info for you on how to apply fake tan, hope this helps u xx
Skin care tips and advice How to apply self tanning lotion

How do self tanning lotions work ?

Self tanning lotions contain DHA (dihydroxyacetone) which temporarily colours the top layer of your skin. DHA is considered by skin experts to be completely safe. For the technically inclined the DHA reacts with the amino acids in skin cells to produce melaninoids. The melaninoids give the top layer of your skin increased pigmentation. The important thing to remember is a sunless tan lives in the top layer of your skin and does not extend any deeper. It is also very important to remember that DHA gives no protection from the sun. Even with a great sunless tan you should use protective sun screen if you are going to be in the sun.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Should I use a spray on or cream (lotion) self tanning product ?

The most effective self tanning products are generally self tanning lotions. Self tanning lotions tend to go on a lot easier and are more easily blended so you can better avoid streaking and patchiness. Self tanning lotions are also typically longer lasting and produce a more natural colour. Self tanning gels, sprays and mousses generally do not give the same even, natural tans as self tanning creams. That said you should use the self tanning product you feel most comfortable applying.

How to apply self tanning lotion: Step 1 Preparation

Remembering a sunless tan lives in the top layer of your skin preparation is all about making sure your skin is a good canvas for the self tanning product.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Shaving and waxing
Saving%20legs.jpg

If you are planning to shave or wax make sure you do it the day before you are going to apply your self tanning product. Shaving or waxing after you have applied the self tanning product will strip the tan off.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Nail polish

If you are planning a manicure or pedicure they are best done before you apply the self tanning product to avoid your nails being stained.

The first thing you need to do is take a shower and exfoliate. Exfoliating removes dead skin cells allowing the self tanning product to be absorbed more evenly and to also last longer. Apply shower gel to a wash cloth then scrub your skin in a circular motion (scrubbing up and down is okay for your arms and legs). Your stomach, back, arms and legs can usually take a more robust scrubbing but be gentler on more delicate places like your chest so you don't end up with a rash. When exfoliating pay extra attention to knees, elbows, ankles, hands and feet, or anywhere else you have dry skin. Rinse off and hop on out of the shower.

Bathrobe.jpg
While you are waiting to cool down tie your hair back and decide where you would like to apply the self tanning product. If you want an all over tan just put on a pair of underwear or a bathing suit bottom. If you just want to tan your upper body you can just wear a tight sports bra. It pays to have a "tanning" bra you are happy to use whenever you are applying the self tanning product. That way you can apply the self tanning product right up to the article of clothing without worrying about ruining it.

After you have cooled down and you are nice and dry you are ready to apply the self tanning product.

How to apply self tanning lotion: Step 2 Application

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Allow plenty of time

Set aside at least two hours when applying a self tanning product to allow time for the self tanning lotion to be absorbed.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Avoid dark hands

To avoid dark hands you can either wear latex gloves when applying the self tanning product or ensure you wash your hands with soap and water at least every four minutes. I would recommend not wearing gloves as you will have better touch and feel with bare hands. If you choose to use bare hands applying your self tanning product in your bathroom will give you easy access to a sink.

Hand%20lotion.jpg

Wherever your skin is ultra dry, such as feet, hands, knees and
elbows, the self tanning product will accumulate and result in giveaway dark patches. Moisturise these dry spots and wipe off any excess moisturiser before applying the self tanning product.

When applying the self tanning product begin where a tan would normally be darkest and then blend out from there. Only put on as much as can be smoothed into the skin and easily absorbed. Any excess self tanning product will give you a darker area. Remember to blend, blend, and blend. If there are any body areas which would normally not get as much sun, like to sides of your feet, don't apply the self tanning product directly to those areas. Apply the self tanning product on an adjacent area and just blend it over to the less tanned areas.

Squeeze some of the self tanning lotion onto your hands and begin to rub it in. Start with your legs, rubbing the self tanning lotion in light circles and working quickly. Don't apply the self tanning lotion in up and down strokes as this may lead to streaking. Rather than applying the self tanning lotion directly on to dryer skin areas such as your feet and knees smooth it up or down from a part of your leg that already has self tanning lotion on it. This will also help avoid getting too much self tanning lotion on these dryer parts. It should take less than five minutes to do both legs. If you are not wearing latex gloves don't forget to wash your hands regularly.

Lotion%20chest.jpg

After your legs start on your chest and work your way out to your shoulders remembering to always apply the self tanning lotion in circular motions. Make sure you get your neck and the top of your back. From there apply the self tanning lotion to your arms remembering to treat the drier areas such as your hands and elbows the same way you treated you feet and knees. Again don't forget to wash your hands regularly if you are not wearing gloves.

Continue applying the self tanning lotion to your stomach and back. You may want some help from a friend with the more difficult to reach parts of your back. Make sure you also cover your sides and, if you wish, your armpits.

Finally apply the self tanning lotion to your face. Use a makeup
Sponge.jpg
sponge for a more blended, natural look. Always apply the self tanning lotion in circular motions until your whole face has been covered. Take care to avoid the eye area and, to keep the tan nice and even, watch out for any self tanning lotion build up around the hairline. Make sure you don't forget your upper lip, behind your ears and the back of your neck.

If you were wearing gloves finish with your hands. They will need only a very light coverage. The little left in your makeup sponge after you finished applying the self tanning lotion to your face may be enough.

How to apply self tanning lotion: Step 3 After application

Now you will need to wait for the self tanning lotion to dry. It will take between 15 to 30 minutes for your skin to absorb the self tanning lotion enough so that you won't risk rubbing off the self tanning lotion by getting dressed. If you are in a hurry you can use a hairdryer on a low setting to speed up the drying process. Once you think the self tanning lotion is pretty well dry get dressed in very loose fitting clothes like nightie or robe. As some of the self tanning lotion may rub on to your clothes wear clothes that you don't mind getting a few marks on. About two hours after applying the self tanning lotion it should be OK to get dressed normally.

The tan should show around 3 to 4 hours after the self tanning lotion has been applied.

Waking%20up.jpg
How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Apply self tanning lotion before you go to bed

A good way to pass the time waiting for the self tanning lotion to dry is to go to bed. Apply the self tanning lotion about two hours before your bedtime. Making sure you don't have your best bed sheets on the bed go to bed at your normal bedtime. The next morning you'll wake up nice and tanned.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: What happens if my tan is not dark enough ?

If you have a very pale skin colour it will take 2 to 3 applications to get a deep dark tan. Simply repeat the self tanning process over a few nights until you achieve the colour you want.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: What if I get streaks ?
Exfoliating%20legs.jpg

Exfoliating will help with streaks. Exfoliating will help to remove your tan. You won't see a noticeable lessening of the streaks immediately but exfoliating will help lighten your tan and thereby even out the streaking. You will need to reapply the self tanning lotion to restore a dark tan - remembering to use circular motions to avoid a repeat of the streaking.

How to apply self tanning lotion: Step 4 Caring for your new tan:

Once you are happy with your tan you will only need to apply the self tanning lotion a couple of times a week to maintain it. If you regularly exfoliate you may need to reapply the self tanning lotion a little more often to maintain your tan and reduce the chances of your tan looking patchy.

How to apply self tanning lotion tip: What's the smell ?

The smell you'll notice when using the self tanning lotion is the DHA at work. A small price to pay for looking great while avoiding the dangers of sun exposure.

To keep your tan intact as long as possible avoid shaving your legs for 24 to 48 hours after you've applied the self tanning lotion. It also pays to avoid long baths or chlorinated pools which can soak off the tanned top layer of skin.

Sun%20tan%20shoulders.jpg
How to apply self tanning lotion tip: Fall or winter tan

If you are applying the self tanning lotion in autumn or winter you could probably get away with only tanning your shoulders, neck and face.

Enjoy your beautiful tan !!

Hi Roch

wow - thank you so much for all that information, I will have a good read later as I am meant to be working at the moment :(

much appreciated Roch

Hiya,

I am a queen when it comes to false tan as I have used so many and use it all the time..

The KEY is to exfoliate before putting on your tan especially your knees and elbows as thats where the colour will cling to the most, anyway that is dry & rough..

Shower, exfoliate, moisturise, wait until moisturiser has soaked in however long it may take then slap on the false tan girl....

:D

also when you have finished applying wash hands very thoroughly then dry them , put a blob of fake tan on the back of one hand and with the back of the other hand rub the cream in, repeat on the other side, this stops you having orange palms but you still get brown hands:)

Hey Kelly Fake Tan Expert!
What do you think is the best way to exfoliate? And which is the best fake tan you have found? Cheers
MrsP

What do you think is the best way to exfoliate? And which is the best fake tan you have found? Cheers
MrsP

And which ones don't smell, that's what puts me off, I hate the smell, even the tinted moisturisers that you use daily and build up a tan have that awful fake tan smell.

MrsP

Love me name you have gave me hun... :D

Best way to exfoliate - dont think you can go wrong hun to be honest, Make sure you buy a decent exfoliator, rub it all over your arms, legs, chest & a little on your face, basically everywhere your tanning, I dont bother with my belly and back etc as no-one sees that, lol.

I wouldnt advise putting exfoliator on your face or chest if you have sensitive skin as you will end up very red with exfoliators being quite rough.
After rubbing it in for a while, simply rinse off the wash as normal with shower gel & your sorted..

I have tried alot of tans out there & I have to say the one I use most of to date is St Tropez, I have tried the lotion, mousse & spray, although on my 1st few days I am quite dark until its faded a bit, St Tropez have just brought out a gradual tan moisturiser although its £12 which is a bit expensive but I had to try it & it does give a nice tan & its not as harsh as the normal St Tropez. My Boyfriend doesnt like me using St Tropaz as he says it stinks & it sometimes makes me look orange, which as I said before the 1st few days I look dark but not orange, what do men know after all!!

I like Fake Bake too, think I might try that again after my St Tropez has gone as its supposed to be a new & updated formula.

As far as these gradual tans go, which now I do think they are better than normal tans as you can stop at the shade you like, I have tried a few and my favourite is the avon gradual tan (not that being a rep has nothing to do with my decision) No but seriously its really natural the tan & is the best tan I have tried for 'the smell' as I do know every woman hates the smell of a false tan.
Thats the only downside with St Tropez, you smell like curry the next morning, my b/f wont go near me in bed when I apply that on a night, he thinks it stinks, which it does, but if its good enough for Jordan, lol..

So Madamdotty thats my answer, the avon gradual tan smells quite nice,even the next day its the best one I have smelt to date, Even the b/f likes the smell & cuddles me in bed with it on, so that says alot, lol..

Hope this helps girls..

Kel ;)

x

Thanks for that Kelly :)

Hi guys, I don't use fake tan, so know nothing, but my favourite blog IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD is doing a testy thingmajig on fake tan, so thought I'd share

beauty addict: a little obsessed with makeup

Didn't think there was anyone more obsessed with make up and beauty products than me, but turns out I was wrong!

thanks Kelly
Do you think St Tropez would look weird on me as I am blonde? Not keen on looking like I've been Tango'ed!:p :p

Hiya Mrs Pink,

If I were you I would start by using a gradual tan as at least u can stop when u like the colour with St Tropez you go really dark and if you dont like it then its tough as you have to wait till it fades..

Let me know how u get on..

Kel
x

Hi guys, I don't use fake tan, so know nothing, but my favourite blog IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD is doing a testy thingmajig on fake tan, so thought I'd share

beauty addict: a little obsessed with makeup

Didn't think there was anyone more obsessed with make up and beauty products than me, but turns out I was wrong!

Hiya,

Had a look at this blog,

I have to say with being a body shop consultant, One of my Fave products is the Body butters.
They are fab..

I have loads of body shop products girls so let me know what your fave products are and I will see if I have them, if so I will do you a good price if anyone is interested.... :D

Kel
x

HI Kelly Bodyshop used to do a gorgeous fake tan that smelled like watermelon! Haven't been in the shop in years - is it still available? And do they have vanilla bath stuff? Again I know they used to ....Am using Dove moisturiser with fake tan - working well so far! Might give the St Troez a go when I am in Fracne on holiday though! Cheers
Mrs P

HI Kelly Bodyshop used to do a gorgeous fake tan that smelled like watermelon! Haven't been in the shop in years - is it still available? And do they have vanilla bath stuff? Again I know they used to ....Am using Dove moisturiser with fake tan - working well so far! Might give the St Troez a go when I am in Fracne on holiday though! Cheers
Mrs P

Hiya,

No the tan they do doesnt smell like watermelon no more I'm afraid and they dont do any vanilla bath stuff.
Although I am sure I have some Vanilla stuff will have a look for you..
I quite like the dove tan, it smells ok too I think..

XX

I have bought the tan I was on about Girls, its called Beyond Bronze by fake bake, Its has to be my fave tan up to now, like it better than St Tropez ,, :eek:

I applied it at night, my boyfriend couldnt believe the colour of me as I seriously looked black as the tan is a deep chocolate colour and its like a thick consistancy.
It hardly had no smell either which I was over the moon about, applied it 2 nights running & I was a lovely natural colour, I didnt wait until I was completley dry though on the 2nd night & got a small amount of tan on his sheets.. :eek: whoops, lol.. It doesnt stain though so thats ok..

So thats my top tan at the moment girls.. :D

XX

Here is a pic of me last saturday, so you can see what colour I went after 2 applications, I am the one on the right (as your looking at the pic)..

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 59
Looks good Kelly!

Back