Approaching my big '40' diary

MummyMagic

I thought I would start a food diary today as I haven't done SW for sometime and I thought it may be good for me if other people could tell me where I may be going wrong I to give me any tips and advise.
I did SW about 2 years ago and managed to lose 2 stone in about 6 months. Then work commitments took over (I work long shifts and can't always make it to class), my daughters social life got busier (she's only 5!) blah blah excuse after excuse means I put all the weight back on and some. So here I am 2 years later and heavier than I have ever been!
It's my 40th at the end of the year so I have decided I need to take some action. Soooooooo, starting today I decided to get back on track and try and make a difference. I am going to start off by going it alone (with the help and support of this forum of course) and if that doesn't work for me I will try it online.

I weighed in this morning at 14 st 10.5
However I have decided to have my actual weigh in on a Friday cos weekends are always my downfall.

So wish me luck, and I look forward to sharing my weigh loss journey with you x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Ok so day 1........

I am worried about 'food abuse' and would really appreciate any advice if you can see that I am eating too many of the so called syn free foods that shouldn't be
Eg I LOVE smash scones at the mo and I found a recipe for synfree homemade cream cheese on this forum so I am in my element :)

Monday 09/06/12
Breakfast
2 quorn sausages - 2 syns
3 eggs scrambled - free
Apple juice - 3 syns

Snack
1 weetabix oaty bar - HEXB
1apple

Lunch
Salad with cucumber, celery, tomato, apples, herb salad - free
SW quiche (inc potatoes) - free
1 lemon shape delight greek style - 3 syns

Snack
2 smash scones with homemade cream cheese - free
Celery

Dinner
Homemade lentil and carrot soup with 2 x smash scones as dumplings - free
1 orange shape delight greek style - 3 syns

Coffee with skimmed milk throughout the day - HEXA
2 cans Pepsi max
1 can Vimto no sugar
Water

Total 11 syns

Welcome & congrats on taking the plunge to get on track again - you have obviously done well with SW before, so best of luck; your birthday is a good target to aim for. I'm doing SW too (since January)

Hi Fizzybee
Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)
SW does work, you just have to stick with it. My problem is that I can be a right lazy so and so (to put it politely)
My bday is definitely a good target, I don't want to be 'the big one!' in the photos anymore

Good luck with your weight loss and keep in touch xx

Oooh just read your post about "smash scones" - never heard of those (mind you I only have one recipe book from SW) - they sound fab and I will definitely try them! I only hope they havent been taken off plan!!! Hopefully someone familiar with SW previously can confirm for us...

Fizzybee said:
Oooh just read your post about "smash scones" - never heard of those (mind you I only have one recipe book from SW) - they sound fab and I will definitely try them! I only hope they havent been taken off plan!!! Hopefully someone familiar with SW previously can confirm for us...

Smash Cheese scones

1 packet instant mash (smash etc) - I use Asda smart price
1 tub of fat free cottage cheese - I use Asda onion and chive
3 eggs
herbs/mustard powder to taste
Can add cheese from HExA

Blend the cottage cheese and eggs ( I use a hand blender for this)
Mix all ingredients up in a bowl (use smash dry, not made up with water!)
Roll into scone like shapes or use a pastry cutter and place on a baking tray sprayed with frylight. Makes about 8-10
Cook at 180 degrees in the oven for about 30 mins + till golden brown! (may need a bit longer to get brown)

Also great for dumplings in soups!

Read up on these though and think they are now 1 syn each if not part of meal to stop food abuse!

Enjoy!

Todays diary
Started my exercise today as well...... Well a 45 min walk which I suppose is a start!

Tuesday 10/07/12
Breakfast
2 eggs scrambled - free
Apple juice - 3 syns

Snack
Pear

Lunch
Homemade lentil and carrot soup with 1 smash scones as a dumpling - free
1 orange shape delight greek style - 3 syns

Dinner
This isn't what I had planned but after I'd taken my daughter to rainbows and then went for a 45 min walk I didn't feel like eating
Then I realised that I hadn't had my HEXB today so had:
2 x ryvita with homemade cream cheese (made from yogurt and it is yummy and FREE!)
Had a shower then decided I did need a bit more to eat whilst I'm watching the new series of 'New Girl' so had:
SW chickpea Dahl loaf
Celery
Cucumber
Muller Greek yogurt - 1/2 syn

2 cans Pepsi max
1 can Vimto no sugar
Water

Total 8 1/2 syns

Wednesday 11/07/12

Bad day alert!

Breakfast - starting off good
2 eggs scrambled - free
Apple juice - 3 syns
Banana

Snack - (what was I thinking!!!!!)
Homemade rocky road -20syns
Couldn't say no to this! The kids from a local school had made it and I just had to buy a slice fir their funds. I know I should have given it to someone else but I couldn't resist. No idea what was in it exactly thats why I have said 20 syns. Was lovely though :)

Lunch
Salad with cucumber, celery, tomato, apples, herb salad - free
1 lemon shape delight greek style - 3 syns

Dinner
gammon steak with 2 poached eggs
Small glass of wine because I had had a bad day at work - 4 syns

2 cans Pepsi max
Water

32 syns

Not done very well today. Forgot to have my HEXB, the rocky road was so unnecessary and then to top it off with a glass of wine cos I'd had a bad day! This was my old routine which I need to get out off!
Right...... back on track tomorrow, wish me luck!

Thursday 12/07/12
Another bad day in work = another bad day on the food front!

Breakfast
3 quorn sausages - 3 syns (needed something to eat whilst driving)
Apple juice - 3 syns

Lunch
Apple
Celery
Muller Greek yogurt - 1/2 syn

Snack
Fig roll - 3 syns

Dinner
Chinese take away - egg foo yung and boiled rice - I've put this as 10 syns as I can't find how many this is and I think it is only the oil in this as it is mainly veg and eggs

Supper
Daughters left over bachelors mac and cheese made with HEXA allowance - 2 syns

1 cup of coffee with milk (saved my HEXA to have some of my daughters mac and cheese)
2 cans Pepsi max
Water

Total 21.5 syns

Hi MM, hope today is a better one for you work-wise. Have you tried the Linda Mcartney Rosemary & Red Onion veg sausages? They are really tasty IMO, and free so I prefer those to the standard quorn ones. I'm giving the scones a try; I have read the controversy about syns vs free, so I suppose I will count them, however I managed to get 24 (!) out of the mix (I reckon I used a smaller cutter) so I think 2 for a syn is fair. Will report back when they are out of the oven and cool enough to taste :)

We were talking about these at class as I make them and C told us to include them in a meal - with soup etc - but not to eat them will nilly during the day because they are "free" - free is fruit and veg etc. I also make mung bean wraps which are also "free" but again with soup or veg but not inbetween meals and do not count them then.
(I get 7 out of the mix - use 2 eggs - 100gms potato powder and 250gms of cottage cheese plus sometimes put in a HEX of cheese and some cooked peppers).

Not free on RED days.

Last edited:
Ah thanks Systema. In that case I will put several on a plate to make a meal, lol only kidding I can see the logic, as in theory you might have a spoonful of mash and cottage cheese on the side of your plate with a meal, but not a whole tub and pack of smash. I just tried one warm from the oven and they are very nice :D

24 but I used my smallest scone cutter and didn't make them very thick (slightly less than 1 cm) - I was decieved by the amount of mixture, it just kept going and going!

Hi everyone. I usually get about 10 out of the mix, probably because I just hand roll them and don't use a cutter.
I love adding them to soups as dumplings or have them in a meal instead of bread. I hope I am doing this right!

Loving the sound of the Linda McCartney sausages, will have to try them out :-D

Those LM sausages are fine if you like the taste of stuffing (and I don't :) ) Bought some this week and somebody else will have to eat them but sure that wont be a problem in this house.

I usually weigh the scone mix - 70gms each - then roll them.

systema said:
Those LM sausages are fine if you like the taste of stuffing (and I don't :) ) Bought some this week and somebody else will have to eat them but sure that wont be a problem in this house.

I usually weigh the scone mix - 70gms each - then roll them.

Is that 70g per scone? How many does that make in total?

Friday 13/07/12

So I weighted in today and I am down to 14 9.5. That's a 1lb loss from Monday, not bad considering :)

Better day today food wise as well

Breakfast
2 boiled eggs
2 slices bread HEXB

Snack
Crab sticks

Lunch
Apple
Celery
Cucumber

Snack
Biscuit - 3 syns

Dinner
Smoked mackerel - 4 syns (can't believe there's syns in this but I can't resist)
Cucumber
Cottage cheese

Supper
Quark mixed with sweetener - makes a yummy dessert which tastes like cheesecake, but it's free! :-D

3 cans Pepsi max
Water

Total 7 syns

30 min walk this morning as well. Surprised how much energy I had at that time of the day lol

Fingers crosses I can carry on like this ;-)

Back