Are you eating extra syns by mistake?

Circes said:
Not even all the 0% fat ones are syn free I'm afraid - some have added sugar eg Nom or Yeo Valley

What ones are free then? Is there a certain brand I should be looking for?

I've been using Tesco Value Low fat Yogurt as free the entire way through my diet, am sure i looked it up at the beginning and was FREE, but just looked it up and is 1.5 syns ( for the whole 500g though) so dont think i will worry.

What ones are free then? Is there a certain brand I should be looking for?

There is a list of syn free yoghurts in the sticky section of the syn values sub-forum. I just noticed that you specifically mentioned natural yoghurts and I think you are okay this these as long as they are fat free. :)

By the way WW creme fraiche is only half a syn per level tbsp compared with other brands. I haven;t seen it any shops though.

Yeah sorry I should of been clear that I meant natural yoghurt and fromage frais. For other yoghurts I stick to muller lights.

Some very interesting points being made. I find the syns calculator difficult to use when its a liquid eg 180mls, what is that going to be in 100g portion.

A common mistake is the slice of bread from 400g loaf as hexb. I bet a lot of people get the 800g loaf and don't weigh the slices.

Then you get tempted to estimate.
Best sticking to what we know ( and then it will probably get changed anyway!)

Jean

Some very interesting points being made. I find the syns calculator difficult to use when its a liquid eg 180mls, what is that going to be in 100g portion.

A common mistake is the slice of bread from 400g loaf as hexb. I bet a lot of people get the 800g loaf and don't weigh the slices.

Then you get tempted to estimate.
Best sticking to what we know ( and then it will probably get changed anyway!)

Jean

for liquids you just add the amount of ml's in the gram entry box. There is info about it on the FAQ for the syns calculator on the slimming world website, which says to do this. So you would check the per portion button instead of the 100g button that is defaulted, then add your amount of ml's for grams per serving.

Hope that makes sense. :)

below is as copied from the FAQ for the syns calculator on the slimming world website re adding stuff that is in millilitres instead of grams.

Please note: To calculate the Syn value of drinks, insert millilitres instead of grams. The only exceptions to this are aerosol creams and ice cream (find these under basic foods).

hehehehe I weigh my bread (unless I have a specific bread mentioned), because I am that anal lol i have my digital scales on hand all the time, and I weigh everything, especially my cereal as its so easy to misjudge. I use measuring spoons for all syned liquids etc...like honey, maple syrup, marj etc because I just find it too easy to have that little bit more. I learned my lesson from before, If I am not sure about new products I dont buy them.

Only thing I am bad on is I dont measure my skimmed milk. I worked out I could have cereal and 4 cups of coffee (I did this consistently for a couple of weeks) and so thats all I have, then I syn milk after that.

hehehehe I weigh my bread (unless I have a specific bread mentioned), because I am that anal lol i have my digital scales on hand all the time, and I weigh everything, especially my cereal as its so easy to misjudge. I use measuring spoons for all syned liquids etc...like honey, maple syrup, marj etc because I just find it too easy to have that little bit more. I learned my lesson from before, If I am not sure about new products I dont buy them.

Only thing I am bad on is I dont measure my skimmed milk. I worked out I could have cereal and 4 cups of coffee (I did this consistently for a couple of weeks) and so thats all I have, then I syn milk after that.

yep me too, I weigh and measure everything that is not a free food. Hubby recently got some really good scales, which can calculate the calories, fibre etc in a certain generic food by weight. Very cool and then I love my measuring cups/spoons, they are always on hand read to use and are pretty much never back in the drawer as I am use them all the time. lol

I couldn't be without my scales, they are used several times a day too.
I know of SW's who somehow do the plans without kitchen scales, I know it can be done with jugs and spoons but, for me, these are the invaluable! I even keep a spare battery because I can't be without them, after all these years I still can't guess 28g of cheese....

Anyway, back On Topic.....

Extra syns on a WI night has got to be the biggest miscalculation of syns ever!!

Well I don't have access to a syns calculator so I'm a little worried. However, until this week I haven't had a battery in my digital scales so I've avoided anything synned which needed to be weighed. Which is why I haven't tried all the recipes I'd like to. Instead I have stuck to Laughing cow triangles as Hex and 400g loaves or wholewheat crackerbread and ryvita as Hex as I have the amounts set out in the book. I really haven't deviated from the book. Now I have batteries I'll be making more recipes with syns in but I'd always be careful to weigh them. I have a set of measuring spoons which I always use for sppoon measurements and level off when necessary.

I'll be watching out for this though and make an effort not to get complacent. I do have to rely on some of the information on here, however, on quorn products for instance.

Oh I did discover I'd been synning extra light mayo incorrectly as according to the book it was 0.5, I had been using Tesco's though and I read on here that is 1 syn per level tbsp. I had been well under the 10 syn mark for each day I used the mayo though so I didn't go back and change it in my diary. I have synned it correctly since however. I think this is why, when I am going it alone, I am overly cautious about syns.

Strangely enough I'm sat having this conversation with my OH as I've been eating low fat natural yoghurt as free but it's only the 0% fat ones that are free. I've been eating creme freche as free too and just found that there's not a free type of creme freche.

That might explain as to why I haven't seen regular losses.

I ate loads of creme freche with salmon last week convinced it was free, then looked in my book after, could have cried! Now I am being so careful and checking my book for everything! x

This is a really interesting thread and full of good information. Starting sliming world properly tomorrow(as first group then). I have a set of the spoon/cup measurement thingys(got them from poundland) and have always been careful with the how muches i put in. Might invest in a decent set of kitchen scales though as mine are not that precise.

My digital scales leapt from the top of the cupboard last week and broke, i was MORTIFIED! Have replaced them with the Argos value ones and i must say they seem great for the money (am broke as my old scales!!) I love to weigh!!

Bee x

What a great thread.
A common one could be people not weighing their cheese/milk when having them as Healthy extras. It all adds up!
Also using heaped spoons of items instead of level can add on double the syns.
As for Chinese takeaway if we ever have one I always weigh it out before eating it so I can write down the correct syns. xxx

Xtra light mayo is listed in the book as 0.5 per level tbsp, online its 1.5!!! I was having 2.5 more syns than I thought until I checked!

Xtra light mayo is listed in the book as 0.5 per level tbsp, online its 1.5!!! I was having 2.5 more syns than I thought until I checked!

I think it can vary per brand. Some of the syn values in the basic book are just for generic items. Hence why you should always check nutritional information and double confirm.

Plus online is always going to be more up to date, as books are only good for the date they are printed.

Back