Are you trying to work out your goal weight? This might help.

Caz

Repeat Offender
I think we've all struggled with trying to decide what our goal weight should be, lots of us haven't been close to it for a long time so knowing what would be right is difficult. I know it was like that for me. And BMI isn't the be all and end all, it doesn't take into consideration a lot of things.

Anyway, I found this calculator which takes into consideration frame to give you the ideal weight range for your gender and height. Seems pretty good to me, thought I'd share :)

Ideal Body Weight Calculator - MyDietExercise.com

Thanks for posting this, Caroline. You're right - it does seem pretty good. Realistic, even. :)

It's funny, but I was having this conversation with my CDC last night. She asked me what my goal would be now. Now in the past, I've always said that I'd like to get to the top end of my BMI - which works out at 10 stones 5 lbs. But thinking about it, maybe I'm sort of self-sabotaging by setting my goal too low (not that it is low by 'normal' standards, but you know what I mean).

I said that quite honestly, after being so overweight for all of my thirties, getting back to 11 stones would be great. And guess what - that's the highest weight suggested by the calculator you linked to. :D

Feel a lot better about my decision now. Thing is, I could always adjust it down a bit if I got there and thought, "Actually, I could probably cope with dropping a few more pounds..."

like it!
it says marginally overweight by 3.2lb.. thats about what i'd thought really, so think its spot on!
its nice to see it on the screen though!

That's brilliant! I'm large frame and it says Ideal weight range is 146 - 160.6 lbs. (66.4 - 73 kg.). Thats a whiole 1 and half stone more than I thought. Thanks Caroline xx

I think the thing I'm realising is about setting myself realistic goals, and realising that the numbers are distorted in my head, if that makes sense. Not everyone is meant to weigh 9 stone or something. So in my head 12 stone sounds like it's too heavy a goal, but actually, for me, for my body, that's probably about normal. And that I should stop being so hard on myself, and just work to my body, not the bodies I see splashed across TV, magazines and the like. Airbrushed bodies at that!

Thank you Caroline. The test has put me as small frame although maybe a mistake as I have exceptionally long fingers. Nonetheless my goal weight is ideal for my height and frame.xx

mine says

small frame
120-132lbs

I'm currently 139lb, and working towards 126lb, so it's about what i expected to be honest. However this says i'm 'overweight' by 7lb, but i have a healthy BMI already..... confusing!

I think it's going on what your ideal weight for your frame is, rather than your BMI, if that makes sense. As your 7lbs above that range. So you're not clinically overweight, but it's suggesting for you're frame you are slightly. I don't think I've explained that very well!

Gosh, mine says a weight range of 160-176 lbs (11st 6lbs and 12st lbs) and I was aiming for 11st 7lbs so that's encouraging as I was wondering whether what I was aiming for would be too low for me. The BMI healthy weight thingy for my height is 9st 9lbs to 12st 1lb.

Good find although i am not sure how it can measure your build based on the width of your wrist!! As Louisa says, you may have exceptionally long fingers...

Shouldn't your BMI be calculated against your waist measurement for a more accurate measure?

Computer says:
Ideal weight range is 114 - 125.4 lbs. (51.8 - 57 kg.).
You are overweight by 12.6 lbs. (6 kg.).

:rolleyes:

I don't like this calculator ;) I'm 5'3" and don't want to go that low. Mind you that would work well for my mum so if I try medium build and perhaps I have freakily small wrists (which is quite a possibility)

Ideal weight range is 124 - 136.4 lbs. (56.4 - 62 kg.).
You are marginally overweight by 1.6 lbs. (1 kg.).

That's a bit better. I'm at a fine weight for my weight and as I'm curvy, this weight is good. In a few months time I'm going to try to get down a few lbs more but want my leptin levels to stabilise a bit first.

This is the thing, everyone is SO obsessed with BMI. Even medical people. But the thing is there is a lot more to it than that. For some people their "healthy" weight is a bit over a BMI of 25, for some it's quite low. It doesn't take into consideration build, or muscle which is heavier than fat. It seems a lot more people are using waist measurements now too.

See I know all this but yet in my head I'm still obsessed with seeing a 'healthy' and 'normal' BMI. It's like it's been so drummed into my head I can't stop that way of thinking.

BMI isnt really that good, if it was then all police, firefighters, sports people etc would all be obese!

Yup don't think it's accurate for all.

Rebecca have you seen a calculator like that? I haven't, would be good!

Ideal weight range is 166 - 182.6 lbs. (75.5 - 83 kg.).
You are marginally overweight by 7.4 lbs. (3 kg.).

thats not too bad as i was aiming for 161 lb depending on how i felt, i was 190lb at wi last saturday and know i have lost a couple since.
still gonna go with how i feel in another stone or so

This is the thing, everyone is SO obsessed with BMI. Even medical people. But the thing is there is a lot more to it than that. For some people their "healthy" weight is a bit over a BMI of 25, for some it's quite low. It doesn't take into consideration build, or muscle which is heavier than fat. It seems a lot more people are using waist measurements now too.

See I know all this but yet in my head I'm still obsessed with seeing a 'healthy' and 'normal' BMI. It's like it's been so drummed into my head I can't stop that way of thinking.
I really like the idea of this calculator because I agree with you that BMI is not the be all and end all. Fat percentage with calipers is also an important measure.

I have to say muscle doesn't weigh more than fat (though I'm sure you know that, others dont). 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat. Muscle is just more dense so a bucket of muscle would weigh a lot more than fat as more muscle would fit in it.

I have to say muscle doesn't weigh more than fat (though I'm sure you know that, others dont). 1 lb of muscle = 1 lb of fat. Muscle is just more dense so a bucket of muscle would weigh a lot more than fat as more muscle would fit in it.

That's what I meant, thanks for wording it better!

Back