Are your thinner friends more confident?

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Lynn8124, 4 May 2010 Social URL.

1. Lynn8124

Lynn8124 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    seefood
    Ok, so slim doesn't always equal confidence imo, Especially in today's media-driven looks-obsessed society. so, what do you think? Are your thinner friends more confident?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. sugar_fiend

sugar_fiend Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st0lb
    Current Weight:
    15st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st4lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I don't necessarily think so, some of the slimmest people I know seem the least confident, but maybe because people tell them they're too slim? I don't know.

I know I definitely feel much more confident slimmer. It was like my personality slipped away with my confidence as I got bigger. I think some people have noticed a change in me just from what I've lost so far!

4. hchappyh

hchappyh Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Diet:
    GoLower
    I don't necessarily think slimmer people have more confidence.. My younger sister is a slim size 10/12 and has very little self confidence and self belief. The only thing she is really confident in is the way she looks! She is treated as a better person than me, yet ironically I've always had more self belief than her. But then I've had to work at that and some how she doesn't. It doesn't matter what she thinks about herself, she puts a powersuit on, looks the part and people believe it...I on the other hand put a powersuit on and still have to work hard to make people believe in me - weird.

xx

5. snuggle69

snuggle69 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    19st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st1.0lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    5st11lb(29.14%)
    Diet:
    Dukan Diet
    Im not so sure its down to confidence its more that you know people treat you differently, well thats my view anyway

6. Konvictz

Konvictz Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st10lb(20.99%)
    Diet:
    No diet just running and weight training.
    nope...

some of my friends are more of a larger build, especially one i know, and dam he is very confident. and alota girls like him, probably because hes so funny.

some of my friends are really skinny, and they are not the most confident. and me, well id say i was always confident, before when i was skinny, and now, when im fat.

however i do know a friend he was a bit chubby when we were small, but after he lost weight, he had become more confident and happy...

7. hchappyh

hchappyh Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Diet:
    GoLower
    Maybe it just depends on the personality of each individual and actually has nothing to do with size at all...

I wonder is there a website/forum for skinny people and would they ask the same question - are your fat friends more confident.....?

xx

8. Lynn8124

Lynn8124 Gold Member

Start Weight:
    19st7lb
    Current Weight:
    19st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    seefood
    Lol@ skinny people forum, happy.:D No offence to anyone but I think it's more a female problem as I think most men are just naturally confident, a short, fat bald man could look in the mirror and see george clooney.;)

9. elle_e

elle_e New Member

Start Weight:
    19st9lb
    Current Weight:
    13st10lb
    Lost(%):
    5st13lb(30.18%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    not really no. My thinner friends vary in confidence.
    However ive found as ive lost weight i have i think its because i feel like i dont need to blend in the background as the fat person. I didnt want to be noticed when i was bigger as i thought i would be judged.

But people have different feelings about themselves and confidence depends on more than size.

10. hchappyh

hchappyh Silver Member

Start Weight:
    15st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Diet:
    GoLower
    Like I say, each individual person varies in confidence and maybe size really has nothing to do with it..?!

xx

11. Emmaline

Emmaline Hippety Hop!

Start Weight:
    16st2lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st8.2lb(9.82%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting and low carbs
    Confidence?

Having been slim about three times during my life I can honestly say that I felt so much more confident then. Each time I would vow to myself not to put it all back on again. I have always been so addicted to chocolate and cream cakes but now being diabetic and having had a screening test on my eyes resulting in showing a deteriotion in one eye, it has made me sit up and DO something more determindly! But comfort eating is my demon and living on my own doesn't help - boredom and all that. Ther's always an excuse though isn't there?:wave_cry:

12. Lucky Cat

Lucky Cat A work in progress

Start Weight:
    19st3lb
    Current Weight:
    12st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    6st10lb(34.94%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating/exercise
    I've become more confident since I've lost weight.

I'm basically a very shy person but over the years I have learned to disguise it. My husband used to say that people would never know how shy and lacking in confidence I was because I always came over as very confident and would chatter and join in with conversations etc.

However, when I was really overweight my confidence took a nosedive, no doubt about it. I knew deep down that I didn't look good and I felt uncomfortable and unhealthy. I'm so much different now. People comment on it and I know it myself. Therefore, size has to be an element in it, it can't be just the person's personality.

13. FatSlinger

FatSlinger Member

It vairies, but I do find that my slimmer pals are the most confident...

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.