articficial sweeteners

Nettee

Silver Member
Probably overthinking the plan but have been reading up on asparteme etc and found evidence out there that sweeterners can cause weight gain via various mechanisms including increasing insulin production and causing overeating. I have been having quite a lot of fat free yoghurts and sugar free squash as part of the SW plan. Does anyone have an opinion on this? have you done SW without the sweeteners and lost more? Do you think the plan compensates for the over eating thing as the diet is controlled to some extent?

In all honesty, yes I think you are overthinking the plan. I have used sweeteners every single day since starting SW, and have 4 tablets in each cup of tea (I like it black but sweet). You will see from my stats, that it definitely hasn't hindered me.

I think the key to SW is not to overthink the plan. If SW say it is free, then it is free. Simples.

I read something similar about artifical sweetners a while ago.

In my first week I had quite a few muller lights and still drank diet coke. Have only had about three 500ml bottles since then and no other atrifical sweetners mainly due to the headaches I'm sure the sweetners in the yoghurt gave me!

I did however buy some stevia sweetner today, hoping it doesn't have the same effect as it's a natural sweetner....

I've used artificial sweeteners for a long time now. As Jaylou pointed out somewhere else recently, you google and you can find evidence that pretty much ALL foodstuffs are bad for you. I got to target drinking diet coke and using sweetener for pretty much everything that needed sweetening.

I limit them as much as possible. I dont think they're good for you in a large amount. As for weight gain I dont know

I have always avoided sweeteners but never been one for fizzy drinks. Since joining SW I have become converted to mullerlights and diet tonic with my gin. It does concern me that I now eat a lot more sweetener and try to limit my mullerlight intake. I was having a mullerlight with every meal but now try to limit these to 1-2 per day by having plain yogurt for breakfast or not taking one for lunch. I also went through a phase of buying diet soft drinks but soon stopped when I realised how much sweetener I was having and started having herb teas instead (the Lipton Moroccan Spice or Licorice Root are lovely). I never add sweetener to SW recipes - they're fine without them in my opinion.

I think there are dangers in having too many sweeteners but I also think they have helped me with my weight loss. Now that I am at target I plan to cut out sweeteners by having semi-skimmed milk (if I don't have plain yogurt in the fridge) with my oats at breakfast and returning to normal tonic for my G&Ts (I have already cut down the amount of alcohol I drink). I would rather have natural sugars but just a lot less of them.

I have read this type of information too, but i just avoid the recipes that ask for a cup or half a cup of sweetener as I just don't like the idea of that! I've tried the new-ish Truvia sweetener if needing a spoon, which seems ok and it claims to be plant based and more natural - but it probably has bad stories related to it somewhere out there too. At breakfast, I use lots of cinnamon instead of sugar which is nice.

Just cooked the 1/2 syn roulade using stevia - never again!!!

Hmm so the jury is out. I can also see the chemical vs natural sugar argument. Might try without for a bit and see how much I miss them. Thanks for the replies.

MadameLaMinx said:
I was in a supermarket yesterday and I saw a small jar of Truvia - for £4.99!!!! Whut? I'll go with the chemicals thanks.

My husband got me some, and was really peed off when I said it was revolting .... He got me the box of sachets, it's very expensive !!

I've always used sweeteners and used diet drinks as I've been diabetic since age 5.
I've carried on and had no problems with my weight loss.

im another in the "you can find evidence that most things are 'bad' in some way or another these days" camp!
theres no way im paying that much for it either,i think its disgusting the over inflated prices they put on these things!!

I think it's very much down to the individual. I avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague because I've tried most of them and they all affect me in various unpleasant ways. I'm sure they're a great tool for some people though. I've got some Truvia in the cupboard, but haven't been brave enough to try it yet!

The only thing I would say is that if you're "having quite a lot of fat free yoghurts" you could be taking in quite a few extra calories without realising (I know SW doesn't count calories, but if you're having 200-300 calories worth of yogurt a day, or thinking you can eat as many as you like, it could make a difference). But as you're losing OK, doesn't look as though that's a problem!!

Good luck with your weight loss,

Trace xx

I have stopped using sweeteners pretty much now. My kids eat everything I cook and I weary of them having them.

I have started using coconut sugar. It comes from the sap of a coconut tree, it doesn't affect your insulin levels like other sugars, so it supposedly a lot healthier. It looks like brown sugar and is a lot sweeter, so you need less of it. It has the same calories as normal sugar, but as you need less, it is less calories overall.

The taste is great too, tasted just liked normal sugar to me.

I used to use agave nectar, but that is a actually worse than normal sugar because of the way your body processes it.

I am going to get some coconut oil next. You can use it in cooking. Is the same calories as al the other oils, but much healthier, as you body doesn't store it like other fats. It burns it straight into energy. Pretty expensive though.

Well early results are looking good. I think I am less hungry without the sweetners and strawberries are tasting amazing. Could just be the placebo effect and that strawberries are in season. Might continue for a bit longer and see if the weight losses pick up. My problem is I don't need to be hungry to graze - it is a bad habit I should break.

Back