"As I got slimmer, the urge to over-eat got less and less"

Gillian576

I'm having a tough time staying focussed today and this sentence jumped out at me as I read through the last magazine.

Now, I'm really hoping this is true! If you've lost quite a bit, do you find this?

Oh God yes! Part of its because my stomach just seems to have shrunk, it cant fit as much in as it used to. :)

But also so many other things, I just dont *care* about food in the same way I used to, I can take it or leave it... I mean I still love my food but I dont feel the urge to gorge on something just because its there (well not often anyway ;) ). I dont feel the urge to buy junk food or stuff I just dont need when Im in the shops, I can just walk right by without it even crossing my mind. My tastebuds have changed, I just *dont like* cr@ppe food anymore, and unbelievably I DO like fruit & veg, I snack on it all day long because I WANT to (which looking back at my previous life is quite surreal! :p ) I don;t havwe to finish something just because Ive started it, I dont open a pack of biscuits and need to eat the whole pack any more (well I dont even really buy them any more!), or the whole bottle of wine just because its open - I can just say, "No, I just dont fancy any more" and put it away. Even if I do have a day or two off plan (cos Im going away or whatever) I can just come back and say that's it, I dont want any more, back to the eating properly again.

Its fab! Youll get there! :)

Erm, I want to be you!!

I'm the complete opposite - to put a different spin on things. I still want things I shouldn't have, I can still eat a pack of biscuits, a big bar of chocolate, a whole bag of sweets, big back of crisps and dips etc. I can still eat massive portions BUT I choose not to most of the time.

My willpower is stronger though and more often than not I don't give into the desires.

I do however, crave the good stuff when I've been away for the weekend and I also think that you unconsciously make the right choices when away, for some things, so diet drinks, skinny milk, tomato rather than cream sauces etc.

Things do change, we just change differently.

I still wish I was more like Erm though!!

Erm, I want to be you!!

I'm the complete opposite - to put a different spin on things. I still want things I shouldn't have, I can still eat a pack of biscuits, a big bar of chocolate, a whole bag of sweets, big back of crisps and dips etc. I can still eat massive portions BUT I choose not to most of the time.

My willpower is stronger though and more often than not I don't give into the desires.

I do however, crave the good stuff when I've been away for the weekend and I also think that you unconsciously make the right choices when away, for some things, so diet drinks, skinny milk, tomato rather than cream sauces etc.

Things do change, we just change differently.

I still wish I was more like Erm though!!

I still do it sometimes but not very often :) I dont buy stuff like biscuits now anyway. Its still tough to open a bag of nuts and not finish them but I can do it - not every time, but most times I can do it! Its a few months since I last snaffled a whole one :D

I dont get the urge to open things at all now though. If its still sealed it stays sealed :D

I haven't really lost much compared to a lot of people on here - still got the majority to lose- but have noticed my taste buds have changed, had half a white chocolate and raspberry cookie 2 weeks ago when I had a real sugar craving (TOTM) -- and yeah, first 1 or 2 bites was "mmm" but after that I found it disgusting, too sweet, and I left the rest.

Whereas 4 months ago I could've eaten 2/3/4 of them no problem!

Also look forward to making my own meals rather than "pour this processed sauce on" or "stick this in oven for 20mins"

I don't crave sweets and things very much anymore, the thought just never occurs. Restaurant foods seem to be too rich and give me stomach ache. I wouldn't say no if someone gave me something sweet but I wouldn't be able to eat as much as I used to!

Apparently it takes 21 days to break a habit and I'm definitely seeing an improvement on my bad habits. I've been dieting since 28th December and I've hit that point where I can go for days without craving unhealthy snacks. I've even gone off wine, which is big for me, and apart from one little slip up this weekend I haven't smoked since Xmas :)

I bought a box of 24 Velvet Crunch at the beginning of Jan and I've only had 3 packs- super proud of myself for that one :D

I think this is true but maybe because it takes time to lose a lot of weight and in that time you're building up habits.

For example, when I did my first slimming world shop I was buying food that I never ever would have considered buying before. Now it's second nature to pile my basket high with fruit and veg and lean meats and fish. I also never used to cook for myself and would have takeaway twice a week on average. Now I cook for myself automatically every evening and batch cook lunch for the week every Sunday night.

I do still have cravings for sweet things which are my major weakness but they're (usually) satisfied by something like a fibre plus bar.

Keep at it and changes will come!

Oh gosh, I hope it's true. I would think it's maybe seeing how good you look as you get thinner that might make you lose the need to over eat and habits as everyone else is saying.

I'm already finding myself being satisfied about half way through a meal but I have yet to manage to stop eating at that point, but one thing at once, hopefully the will to stop will come soon!

Pre slimming world a bad day would be a large dominos pizza to myself and a chocolate bar for pudding...now it would be a fibre plus bar and a packet of walkers baked crisps..... If I get tempted I just ask myself if I want to give up the way I feel about myself now and go back to the size 22 I was and thats an easy decision to make !

I have been on SW since 21st December 2011 and lost 10.5lbs and have a long way to go yet but somehow food is not my main focus any longer. Previously I ate because I got bored and just something to do but now I make myself busy with other things. A couple of weeks ago I noticed that my appetite has shrunk. Since starting SW I had gone off plan for a couple of hours but as soon as I realised what I had done stopped and got back on plan straight away. I decided to do EE and ensure that I eat my 1/3 superfreeand more. I make all my food from scratch - cheaper, I know what is used and free from artificial flavouring which I think is one of the reason for weight gain.If I fancy something, I look up the syn value and then decide whether to use my syn on that or for something else.

Thanks for your responses. Seems there's definitely hope!

When I have dieted before I've never gone past 2/3 weeks without having a "bad day" so probably never broken the bad habits completely.

I am very pleased with myself today as it's been a real struggle but I've stayed on plan. Hopefully these days will become less frequent.

I am very pleased with myself today as it's been a real struggle but I've stayed on plan. Hopefully these days will become less frequent.
This! :) Exactly the same here Gilian :)

I have lost 1 st so far and what I've noticed is I struggle to finish my dinner now! Admittedly my portions are obv too big and i now stop when I'm full and think I could get another meal out of that lol

Back