Aspartame headaches

Aspartame is the most controversial food addative in history, and its approval for use in food was the most contested in the history of the American Food Standards Agency. In the end, the artificial sweetener was approved, not on scientific grounds, but rather because of strong political and financial pressure from the corporate world. Asparatame was previously listed by the Pentagon as a biochemical warfare agent!.

The American government was fiercy lobbied by prominent scientists to prohibit the use of Asapatame in the States, however, they did not have the funding that the corporate world could command to fight the case. The US food standards agency later passed asparatame fit for human consumpion. Shortly after this the person who passed it joined the board of the company who manufuctures it.

Make up your own mind.

You cant just c&p bits of information written by gawd knows who and make an informed decision. That is madness. Somewhere online there is someone writing about the magic flying spaghetti monster and a teapot circling the planet!!!!
Of course you are more than welcome to believe whatever you like, but do try not to scare others with your 'facts'.

Circles is bang on referencing a credible source.

If people are interested enough they will research it themselves and of course nobody in our government could be every influenced in such a way ... could they.

As I said, read about it and make an informed decision yourself

Well, whatever the facts are, I know I can't tolerate any artificial sweetener at all! Aspartame and acesulfame k both give me blinding headaches, so it could well be that this is what is causing the OP's headaches. I also can't eat sucralose cos it goes in one end and straight out the other!

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we're all different and different things affect us in different ways, and sometimes it's trial and error to find out what's causing certain symptoms, so it can't hurt to try cutting out the aspartame and see what happens!

Last edited:
Three 'credible' sources, there are many many more out there ...

Full Reference: Aspartame Products as a Potential Danger to Infants, Children & Future Generations, Dr. HJ Roberts, director, Palm Beach Institute for Medical Research
Funded By: No funding
Conclusion/Findings: Aspartame causes a variety of disease in children including headaches, convulsions, unexplained visual loss, rashes, asthma, gastrointestinal problems, obesity, marked weight loss, hypoglycemia, diabetes, addiction (probably largely due to the methyl alcohol), hyperthyroidism, and a host of neuropsychiatric features. The latter include extreme fatigue, irritability, hyperactivity, depression, antisocial behavior (including suicide), poor school performance, the deterioration of intelligence, and brain tumors.

Full Reference: Increasing Brain Tumor Rates: Is There a Link to Aspartame? Olney JW, Farber NB, Spitznagel E, Robins LN. Journal of Neuropatholgy & Experimental Neurology.
Conclusion/Findings: Brain tumor incidence in the US implicates the introduction of aspartame into the American diet.

Full Reference: Aspartame: Clinical Update, Potenza DP, el-Mallakh RS, Connecticut Medicine, 1990 Apr;54(4):235-6.
Conclusion/Findings: Raises concern that so many reports of headaches, seizures, blindness, and cognitive and behavioral changes with long-term, use of aspartame have been reported that health officials need to be very concerned.

Last edited:
hi everyone!

looking from this, its plain to see either people think it does, or doesnt give you headaches.. and each to their own i say!!!

anyway, i dont suppose anyone on here knows off the top of their head any diet yogurts that dont have aspartame in them? last chance saloon i suppose would be natural fat free yogurt although im not keen on it!

I've never heard of this and have probably been consuming loads as i have sweetener on my cereal every single morning as well as drinks and yogurt and have never suffered. Could be that you aren't used to it in your diet? x

ive found onken ones doesnt have aspartame in them!

it would seem it effects some people and not others... its def not the change in my diet as im on a diet more often than not!

ive found onken ones doesnt have aspartame in them!

They are also no longer syn free as they now use sugar instead of sweetener, they vary on syn levels from 5 to 8 per pot.

I think anything can be found to be bad for you if you look for it, it's normally about moderation and it seems the body can cope just fine with the by-products of Aspartame if taken in moderate amounts.

Here's a study from the Guardian on how fruit and veg have been linked to Cancer Research links cancer to fruit and vegetables | UK news | The Observer

Grizzly_man said:
They are also no longer syn free as they now use sugar instead of sweetener, they vary on syn levels from 5 to 8 per pot.

I think anything can be found to be bad for you if you look for it, it's normally about moderation and it seems the body can cope just fine with the by-products of Aspartame if taken in moderate amounts.

Here's a study from the Guardian on how fruit and veg have been linked to Cancer Research links cancer to fruit and vegetables | UK news | The Observer

Is that link really sensible/appropriate on a weightloss support forum?? Just my opinion :confused:

Welshtigger said:
Is that link really sensible/appropriate on a weightloss support forum?? Just my opinion :confused:

I agree it's rediculous, I was trying to show that you can find information showing that almost everything can be bad for you if you look for it, just because I can post a link to a study, it doesn't mean everyone should see that as fact.

Obviously it didn't come over like that and I apologise for any offence.

Back