Aspartame headaches

eye6769

Vegetarian who lives2eat
I have been back on SW for a week and am suffering the most horrendous headaches, think it is connected to Aspartame products , it is in everything from drinks to yogurts to peas to hot choc drinks to cheeses, nearly all the extras I use to aid my diet is full of Aspartame. I just read up that it can lead to seizures . I am really going to have to find food stuffs that have no Aspartame in, Not going to be easy , think it better to eat foods with natural sugars in than eat 'diet yogurts' that may play their role in your death. What do you think?

There has only ever been one study into aspertame. ONE STUDY, Im not saying what you think or feel isnt true but this "diet yogurts' that may play their role in your death." is a little strong!

just because there had only been one study does not mean that its not true, if there had only been one study into cancer would that mean that cancer wasnt as bad as people thought...
Aspartame was denied fit for human consumption numerous times before it was accepted, and that was after they bought out the people who where denying it. Its big buisness. Money=who cares about human health!
If you dont want to have aspartame then dont, you can get all kinda of things without it, even diet drinks. I find it gives me stomach upsets if i have too much of it but i still have it anyway lol

I am vegetarian and would eat a lot of wholefoods, from today I am going to stop wating foods with aspartame in and see if I still get a headache. Funny I can drink diet coke and that has it in and I dont suffer, maybe its overload from the yogurts that is doing it. I have bought soem diet drinks from adsa and they have sugralose in which suppposed to be the better alternative. They are many 'studies' on Aspartame and its links to headaches, and if you are sensitive to aspartame headaches then you could be susceptible to seizures , try having one of them whilst driving , soon die. Im not taking the chance, would rather my weight loss was a bit slower.

I have been back on SW for a week and am suffering the most horrendous headaches, think it is connected to Aspartame products , it is in everything from drinks to yogurts to peas to hot choc drinks to cheeses, nearly all the extras I use to aid my diet is full of Aspartame. . . . .

Aspartame in peas? Good heavens. Can't stand peas so I didn't know.

None of the cheeses I have in my fridge at the moment (cheddar, parmesan, Laughing Cow Light) have aspartame in them - what cheeses do?

I can't think why cheese should have sweetener in it anyway.

Avoiding sweetener in yogurt is easy - buy plain yogurt and add fruit.

The softer cheeses , ones with nuts and pineapples etc, the peas are tinned marrofat type. yep yogurts will be easy to sort out .

The softer cheeses , ones with nuts and pineapples etc, the peas are tinned marrofat type. yep yogurts will be easy to sort out .

OK - I don't eat that kind of cheese. The only tinned vegetables I have are sweetcorn and artichoke hearts, and they don't have any sweetener in them (I just checked). All the other vegetables I use are fresh because I don't like the texture of tinned.

Headaches can be caused by dehydration. Are you drinking enough non-caffeinated drinks? If I was worried about headaches I would be giving diet coke and Asda's sucralose drinks a wide berth and drinking some water.

Which yogurts have you been eating?

It is more likely that you are suffering either from dehydration as already said or going through sugar or caffeine withdrawal

A lot of people get this when they move to a healthy eating plan but it does get better - drinking water will help

just because there had only been one study does not mean that its not true, if there had only been one study into cancer would that mean that cancer wasnt as bad as people thought...

I do understand what you're saying, but if I did a study into Ham and coincidentally I started vomiting and therefore concluded that eating ham, for me, caused excessive vomiting...that may not mean its the ham, or that my study was fair. To be conclusive you need multiple studies from all angles to deem the study conclusive. I am sure excessive consumption would cause issue, I could kill myself by drinking too much water...doesnt mean water it a death related substance now does it!?!

Anyhoos my point is lets not scare people saying its going to cause death etc etc.

Anyhoos goodluck in whatever you choose and I hope the head aches stop soon.

I have to say, since I changed my sweetener from aspartame to sucralose based, my headaches haven't been anywhere near as bad. Asda do both granulated and tablet form NON aspartame based sweeteners, and tbh I think they taste nicer. Splenda is also non aspartame based, but more expensive.

An American girl friend sent me some lo/no cal drink granules. During the summer in the very hot months here I was drinking several litres a day of it.

My headaches became severe, really painful.

At this time I had an appointment with my oncologist and mentioned it to her. Alarm bells rang and she booked an MRI of my cranium. It showed nothing, thank goodness.

The headaches continued.

She booked an appointment with a neurologist for me.

Before the appointment I started to read about Aspartame Headaches on here . I checked the foods I had in and was horrified to see how much aspartame I was consuming a day. The majority of which was in the drinks. I cut out the drinks but not the yogurt............headaches gone.

I also checked it out on line and the conclusion I came to ( for me ) is that it would take about a kilo a day to kill you and the small amount in my yogurts is inconsequential.

10% of Asapartame is Methanol (aka wood alcohol/poison) which breaks down into formic acid and formaldehyde in the body. Formaldehyde is a deadly neurotoxin. An recent assessment of methanol states that methanol "is considered a cumulative poison due to the low rate of excretion once it is absorbed. In the body, methanol is oxidized to formaldehyde and formic acid; both of these metabolites are toxic." They recommend a limit of consumption of 7.8 mg/day. A one-litre of aspartame-sweetened beverage contains about 56 mg of methanol. Heavy users of aspartame-containing products consume as much as 250 mg of methanol daily or 32 times the recommended limit.

I have given this up. For good! And I have also thrown out the Splenda.

No wonder my headaches were so bad.

That made scary reading. I am off to the kitchen to check the amount in my yogurts. If it is over the recommended limit I will change to natural with fruit added or even sin a teaspoonful of honey. I love natural yogurt and honey so no problem there.

Thanks for the factual information Carol

That Circes is why I'm not worried about aspartame! Thanks for the actual FACTUAL stuff with references too!!

People have to judge for themselves, I know I am not going to be drinking or eating anything that contains it in future. I think we are all aware that these tests can be skewed anyway they want to. Especially when they are being and funded by big business and there is billions to be made on the back of it. Why else do they continue to allow the sale of cigarettes.

Mostly cultural reasons, the out cry would be crazy. Plus I'm not a fan of the nanny state. I'm happy enough to make my own decisions, virtually everything I do will have negative consequences anyway. Heck sure we've all been dying since the day we were born.

You are welcome to eat and drink what you like, obviously. I won't be taken in by the scare. I will enjoy some aspartame products in conjunction with whole foods, all things in moderation. :)

Back