Aspartame

OMG just been reading up on aspartame... Do you think it could be coincidence that horrendous toothache starts the day I use artificial sweetener containing aspartame?!

To be honest probably :)

The peer-reviewed, properly conducted, academically and scientifically rigorous studies into aspartame have showed that there is no risk to health from it at all, even at high concentrations. The only 'evidence' is theoretical, anecdotal, and internet chinese whispers. However each to their own.

So, do I think it's a coincidence? probably not. Lots of things ache and twinge when you drastically change the conditions under which your body is operating. Do I think it's the fault of aspartame? No. :)

Hey, thanks for the replies. Well, I decided not to have the sweetener with aspartame in it yesterday and the toothache has disappeared. May just be a coincidence but I was literally climbing the walls in pain on Thursday. Anyway, as long as it's gone, I don't care what caused it!

Karen x

Can I get some advice girls in relation to aspartame ... Which is the best brand of sweetener to take in ur coffee/tea I'm using hermesetas at the moment .. Are they ok???

Hi Z1000rider

I don't think it matters if you have aspartame or not, it's just down to the individual. As I mentioned above, I don't know if it was connected to my toothache, it probably wasn't, it was just me over-reacting when I was in so much pain lol! Having said that though, I've decided not to use the sweetener that contains it and instead bought some different ones.

I looked on the Hermesetas website and it states "Hermesetas Gold contains a blend of Aspartame and Acesulfame-K, a very popular sweetener because its taste is so similar to sugar. Hermesetas Tablets contain Saccharin and is appreciated by many consumers for its clean, sweet taste".

So, its up to you really. Sorry if I was scaremongering!

Karen x

Back