Assisting fat loss through water walking & water running?

Fiftyx50

Hello!

A little background:

I started out using the warm water/rehab pool at my local council fitness centre and rediscovered a long lost enjoyment of being in the water. Persistant problems with my lower back, an old rotator cuff injury and weight-related occasional problems with my feet make my dream of doing clever things in the gym fraught with difficulty, leading to regular injuries and time off exercising.

In the pool I did the usual front, side and backward walking coupled with various exercises including hand-weights. All recommended by my long-suffering physiotherapist. I got to enjoy this exercise so much that I invested in my own Aqua Jogger (the big person version!) floatation belt, plus hand weights and other bits and pieces. It came with a very clear instruction book and DVD. So then moved on to deep water running and exercises as well as shallow running in the bigger pool. It feels fabulous!

At the same time, I have actually stopped eating rubbish and embarked on a healthy eating programme. I hardly know myself - I am actually charting my food intake and achieve 1600 - 2000 cals a day.

After weeks and weeks of this new ramped up effort; exercising most days, eating healthily and within a caloric limit I have lost next to NO weight! Sob! I really really need to lose weight, burn fat, improve my fitness....save my life essentially....you know the usual story!

Question:

I want to ramp this pool work up big time by creating some kind of programme that will assist me in my aims. I fear that my new found enthusiasm will soon diminish if I don't see some measurable results soon. Initially, I was concentraing on getting my technique correct (the ole pelvic tilt has to be kept under control in the water!) and have been a bit haphazard in my own largely self-created water programme. I would really love a more organized plan to follow, such as a couch to 5k for in the water, instead of my current philosophy of just doing a lot and hoping it is doing me good. I am better at following a plan as it gives me targets and so on. There is so little written about pool stuff in relation to weight loss (lots of rehab and other things though!) I can find various books and dvds, but they are more aqua aerobics focused, while I simply want running/walking in water. I do not plan on swimming as my back issues rule that out. This vertical exercise has the added bonus of strengthening my usually unreliable inner core and abdominal muscles!

Has anyone here used water exercise to help lose weight?

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could develop a plan to use water as my main exercise in my weight loss efforts?

Any thoughts on how effective it would be to adapt an on-land running/walking fitness programme for the water?

Your ideas would be most welcome!

50 x

Back