At breaking point- it's just not working well enough

I am another one who loses weight slowly. Is part of the parcel with PCOS, I just have to try and stick to wholegrains where possible, which means no unhealthy white carbs for me.

However I just see Slimming World as a way of life now, it isnt a diet to me and I will never go back to eating unhealthily again. So as long as the weight comes off, I really dont mind how long it takes, as I love Slimming World.

I do think anyone should look at any healthy eating plan as a new way of life and not focus on it being a diet. As long as the weight is coming off then that is the main achievement done. You have done remarkably well with what you have lost so far and you should be proud.

Just think of all the weight that could be going on if you had not of taken the step and joined Slimming World. Okay it might not be coming off as fast as you like, but it is coming off and not everyone loses huge amounts every week. It is quite normal to lose 0.5lbs and even STS occasionally.

That said it doesnt hurt to go and speak to your GP, as others have pointed out, there are various medical problems which can make weight loss hard.

Good luck!!!

Last edited:
There are much more knowledgeable people than me here to give you advice. I simply wanted to give you a hug! {{{{Frankied}}}}

do you add salt to food when cooking/eating? try cutting it out if u do as can cause u to retain water.

I think the bigger question is this: do u like slimming world? Do u like the plan? The food? The support? If the answer is no then u will trudge along and ultimately go off the rails because u resent it. If u Do like it - any or all of it - stick with it. U may not be dropping weight like a champion but ur still dropping weight. And in the process ur making your body a healthier place to live.

Its frustrating. I KNOW. And I would feel horrible too! So u can choose to put the 10 lbs back on or u can choose to continue taking it off.

Go to the Dr and check for any major problems. If u check out normal Just keep on keeping on. Also make sure u aren't hungry or eating the portions of a 117 lb model.

This can be really hard at times. There are weeks where I'm sick of the food. But it gets better with time. Right now I'm trying to find my niche. I've started taking pictures of my food. Its a great way to share the experience. Food diaries can be so boring! Much more fun to SEE the food than just read about it!

This is my diet coke chicken made with turkey mince, carrots and sweetcorn and served on a jacket potato. Side of spinach for color and more superfree! Talk about filling!! Tonight is flank steak pinwheels with a garlic cheese filling. Mmmmmmmm

Eat up and be good to your body!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110224_140330.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110224_140330.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 168
Are you on any medication?

Have you had a baby & post baby weight is harder to lose.

Are you exercising (exercising a lot?).

Although it says we can eat fruit freely - are you eating loads?? - Once when I was on my first week on plan I ate loads of grapes and cherries and bananas - I know they say they are free but I only lost a very small amount. The C said to cut out the banans, grapes and cherries for a week & up the veggies - I did - was on RED with 2 heb's and lost 5.5lb's the following week.

You have to tweek and see what is good for you. Have you tried all green?

Have you tried all red? (IF you have followed EE) maybe it's just that plan that isn't working for you.

Good luck. Let us know how you are getting on, don't give up - it could just be something little.

AND stress and worry can also cause weight to stay put.

Best Wishes.

sorry your feeling sad. guess much of what i would say the others have already said. I would post a diary here of amounts and every bite of food you eat. maybe take photos as well of portion size etc. I know you said your C has looked and cant see anything a miss, but shes only human and not a SW computer robot, each person can see something different. With minimins you have a LOT of different people with different experiences, so they may have a idea that your C wouldnt have. Until you get to know your body its trial and error, each trial has to take a week at minimum.
try red only, green only, more fruit, less fruit, vary EVERY meal, change HEBs every day, just dont change EVERYTHING at once, else you'll never know what worked.
Check out others diarys for inspiration for food, and the Pictures of food thread.
My Recipe thread ( *honeys recipes) has lots of ideas all with pics.
I NEVER have the same evening meal 2 weeks running, i do have the same breakfast, but change that every couple of months, and i occasionally have the same lunch each week, but id be bored bored bored of the same meals.
Stick at it, SW is a way of retraining your eating habits, not a diet. It just has a fab side effect of losing weight. and you ARE losing. if your weren't doing SW you may have gained 10lbs not lost them. a loss is a loss.
Try not to judge yourself on others losses, some do get big losses each week, but were all different.

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed with your loss, it is so frustrating when you have stuck to plan 100% and you don't see the results you deserve on the scales.
Try and stay positive you have done so well, good luck this week.

I can't post my last week's food diary as my consultant took it, but I have been eating breakfast now. I don't add salt to anything I have done walking and Wii fit but not loads as it's not making a difference. I am on a lot of medication but it shouldn't be affecting this much the only side effects related to weight gain are increased appetite but I'm not eating too much and I've been on them years.

If I'm really honest I'm not bothered about doing this for health reasons just to loose weight so telling myself I'm now feeding my body good stuff isn't helping.

Right now I can't stop crying, I know it sounds really pathetic but this has really hit me so hard, I don't want to feel this **** from being fat for another 4- 5 years and I know it' a loss but it still feels like complete **** when I've tried so hard. I've lost so much motivation. I feel terrified of facing the scales next week and bursting into tears again. I don't know what to do with myself.

Thank you for all the replies, I'm really sorry everyone for such a sad post.

So pick yourself and stop look backwards - there is nothing you can do about what has already happened. The only thing you have control over is what you choose to do now. So you can sit and mope, hating yourself and your life or you can do something concrete to change it. Okay no food diary for last week - start recording your food diary online this week.

Sorry you are feeling so sad Frankied, give it one more week, let everyone here help you! You can turn this around, sw might not be for you, but you still have options to try, like red days. Just take one day at a time: only you can fix this and we believe you can!!
X

Ask your self what and how are you eating differently than you were before you joined slimming world. Are you remebering to measure everything that needs measuring especially things like cheese and milk. Are you eating only when you are hungry and stopping when you are full. These things take months to accomplish sometimes. It is still early days and your body is still adjusting. Don't fret because you are now looking after yourself and you may be one of these people where the inches come off first and then the weight. But DO remember you are lightler than when you started good luck

You mentioned that you get free passes from your doctor, was it your decision to join SW or do you feel like you've been forced to lose weight by a health professional?

I never lose weight under pressure and you mentioned that you wouldn't get passes if you didn't lose a certain amount, I think this stress isn't helping you either!! xx

Sorry things are not going to plan for you. I think you need to draw a line under what's happened so far, read up on red and green plans, pick one and give it a go for a week. Maybe EE just isn't for you. I'm veggie, but people on here swear by having a fish week - give it a try. You've got to pick yourself up from this, so make a change and try and get back the positivity you started with. Wishing you lots of luck and hope that you have a change in fortune soon x

Mate- just to add to the excellent advice already here:

Your target is exactly what mine was- to lose 112lb (8 stone)

I did this at less than 1lb a week (a rate that you are upset about)

Do you think I am crying now?

Yes it took over 2 years, but so what? I had to live through those 2 years anyway. I shudder at the thought that I could have given up at 10 weeks in because it wasn't quick enough.

Check out my photos, mate. It is possible.....just not overnight!

You need to try and keep your chin up honey, if you don't try and stay positive or at least see the positive's from what you are doing you won't do anything and you will continue on a road of distruction!

You don't like your weight, you want to be thinner then you need to keep trying otherwise it'll never happen!!! Yo may find next week is a big loss but it won't be if you don't put in the effort!

Be honest about what you eat, write EVERYTHING down and do a wee bit more excercise. You'll get there!

Last edited:
Hey Frankie, try not to feel so sad (I know it's not easy) - look at just how far you HAVE come, rather than how far you still have to go - imagine if you were right back at the very start of all this and how bad it would feel if you had to start again from scratch - now that would be awful.

You have done really well, honestly, and a couple of slow loss weeks is not the worst thing ever (you could have gained, imagine how gut wrenching that would be!), it is still one more step closer to where you want to be, even if it's a smaller step than you would like.

I echo what everyone else has said, your loss WILL speed up, and then probably at some point slow down again, then speed up etc etc..it's just how it goes I think, but you WILL get there, so don't give up.

My own loss (and I have a LONG way to go, it's going to take me years) has been slow, just 1lb a week for 3 or 4 weeks (and thats with going swimming 3 or 4 times a week) and then suddenly it speeded up (for no reason I can see) and I got 2 or 3lb losses, which is fab, but I know it will go down again too, and I'll have STS or even gains.

Please, don't give up, stick with us, you really HAVE come so much further than you think (even mentally getting to the place where you are prepared to do it is a huge thing) and to give that success up would be a tragedy, we're all on long journeys, and we are all with you xx

You mentioned that you get free passes from your doctor, was it your decision to join SW or do you feel like you've been forced to lose weight by a health professional?

I never lose weight under pressure and you mentioned that you wouldn't get passes if you didn't lose a certain amount, I think this stress isn't helping you either!! xx

I went to this nurse for the vouchers it has been my decision completely. I just feel dis-hearted as she put pressure for me for loose nearly 2 stone in 12 weeks!

I am trying again, I'm going to fight through however hard it is:) Thank you all sooo much for all your support. I think I need to expect about another half pound and anything more is a bonus. I need to stress about it ait less. I beginning to love my group because of the people in it and I'm making such nice friends. I have lost weight (my 11 year old brother told me so!- bless him) I need to stop comparing my losses with everyone else's. I'm going to also keep up walking EVERY day. I have a handy Dr's
appointment later (for something else) so I'm going to ask what he thinks and maybe discuss slimming tablets to give me an extra hand.

Can I just ask how you got the vouchers? I love SW but struggling to afford it and don't want to give up!

Good lick and chin up, you will get there no matter how fast or slow!!

Back