At breaking point- it's just not working well enough

Hi frankied,
Like you I am only losing very slowly. I put it down to having been on and off SW for several years and so my body can't adjust so quickly to me keeping to the plan. I ate pasta yesterday and this morning I seem to have put on a lb, but I think there is something about pasta that gives me a 'false gain' as tomorrow that will be gone. Last time around when I was going to class my consultant advised me to have more red days as that seemed to work better for me. I just prefer green days as I don't feel so hungry. Maybe you need to mix your days up more. You may be carb sensitive like I am. I have been tested several times for diabetes. I'm okay but the nurse did say to be careful which is why I keep doing SW as it's basically healthy eating. Ask the doctor could you be glucose intolerant even if not actually pre diabetic. I think that means you 'hang on' to the carbs. Could be why we are slow to lose. Keep at it and don't be disheartened. I think your nurse should have aimed for a stone in 12 weeks. That would be more realistic. Any more would be a bonus.

Can I just ask how you got the vouchers? I love SW but struggling to afford it and don't want to give up!

Good lick and chin up, you will get there no matter how fast or slow!!

Just go to your GP/Nurse practitioner and ask. If you are in the "obese" BMI category you may be entitled.

But don't pin your hopes on it - its decided by individual health authorities whether to participate in the scheme, some do and some dont.

One other thing to think about - I think that you are only entitled to them if you are new to SLimming World - ie you cant transfer from paying member to Slimming World on Referral. Or it may be that the doctors wont issue them if you are already a member.

But I could be wrong, so don't take my word for it - the only way to find out for sure is to speak to your GP/nurse. Costs nothing to ask the question, but could save you about £120!

Hi you say you're on medication, but are you using contraception and if you are what. certain contraception especially if hormone based can affect weight loss, I've tried sw many times and I've found that when I wasn't using hormone based contraception i lost weight quite easily (2 stone in 12 weeks) any other time and I really struggle, so next week I'm having my implanon implant out and a copper coil put in.
I find the implant fools my body into thinking it's pregnant so it hangs onto my weight and refuses to give it up, hence i've lost 4lbs in two weeks and although that is bang on target I know I can lose more.

:hug99:Hi Hun,

Do think about trying some red/green days and maybe even the success express plan for a week and see if that makes a difference. I have a lot to lose too and sometimes it's hard to think about how long this journey is going to take. But ...... have a good look in the mirror and then imagine yourself 2 stone slimmer - even if you only ever lost 1/2lb a week then this time next year the person in the mirror will be much slimmer. Even if it took 4 years - that won't be four years of feeling like you do now. I've given up in the past when I've had a crisis very similar to the one you're having now and when I joined SW was about 2 stone heavier :doh:.......... I really wish I'd worked my way through that crisis and was now at target!!! I really do hope you carry on - and make full use of all the support you can get here:psiholog: :D

Hi Frankied,

I'm a real slow loser too. It's taken me 7 weeks to lose 6lbs. It is very disheartening especially when the 2 girls I work with and who started the same time as me have lost nearly twice as much as me :-( (one of them has lost a half stone in 2 weeks and she's not as big as me and had a weekend away!!!!)

I know ive got less to lose than you but i'm very unhappy with myself and it was really getting me down so I went a wee bit off the rails last week. However, I've gathered myself and remembered that it's still coming off!!!!! The alternative is to go the other way which is the road to no town!

Keep your chin up and remember you're not alone. There's always plenty of people to turn to on Minimins!

:hug99::hug99::hug99:Hi Frankied, I am also a slow loser. You have in fact lost more than me, so this may help you a bit! You must stay positive, I know how you feel, but you have made a good start. I dont do the ee plan, but stick with the red and green, mainly red really. Why dont you try mixing all three plans together for a while, it may kick start something. Whatever you feel, however you feel, just bob on here, there will always be someone on here to give you a bit of moral support. I understand although you want everyone at group to lose weight and will congratulate them, we are all human and think then of our own losses. I have never been a big loser and did S W many years ago, left and put it all back on again. But I did lose 2 and half stone. Keep going, we are all here for you, just as no doubt you will be here for others when they are struggling. Do you enjoy your slimming journey??

we STILL haven't seen your food diary.. your consultanat may not be as good as you think they are and there are a LOT of experienced SWers on here that will be able to see if anything is not right or needs adjusting..

I would recomend not having bread, pasta or rice for a start, and limiting things like potatoes and any other starchy veg.. ..

Keep on keeping on and you will get there , like others have said if you give up now you'll never know if the next weigh in was the one to make you grin from ear to ear and even if it takes a long time you will still reach the point where you are smiling because you didn't quit! You are also very right in seeing the value of going to groups to be with people you like who are all in the same boat and all rooting for you to do well, enjoy it and good luck x

Frankie, I`ve lost is slowly too. in fact despite going every week for 2. 5 years i weigh about the same as i did 13 months ago as i keep playin with the same stone on and off. look at it this way a dripping tap will still fill a bucket. you have got to be in it for the long haul try not to crash diet. you will still get there in the end

Hi frankied i'm doing a fishy week as from tuesday and have started a thread on here feel free to join in it seems in the past its been quite successful to some others on here so i'm looking forward to focusing on something different as i get bored easily.x

I would recomend not having bread, pasta or rice for a start, and limiting things like potatoes and any other starchy veg.. ..

I would advise not changing more than one thing at a time ... if there is a difference you have no way of know what the reason was

I do agree that the OP needs to post a food diary - there's not much can be done until then. We can posts lots of different reasons why losses might be slow but it's really just bumbling around in the dark.

I don't think you need to cut out carbs to be honest. Carbs being bad for you is a complete misconception. It is just the white variety of carbs you need to be careful with, as they are basically stripped of all their goodness. I find this a good read: http://www.shapefit.com/healthy-carbohydrates-brown-carbs-white-carbs.html

Just try switching to all wholegrain carbs where possible and if you do have potatoes, ones in skins, new potatoes or sweet varieties are better choices. Basically the low GI choices of the Slimming World free list, is what is going to keep you fuller for longer and have better benefits.

you can see a list here for an idea: http://www.the-gi-diet.org/lowgifoods/

However I do agree with Circes on taking one thing at a time, if you try and make too many changes all at once, you wont have a clue what is working and what isnt, so will be no better off.

Good luck!!

Thank you again for all the replies, I have had some new ideas from GP today about exercise and as a change this week I'm going to up my exercise by a lot and see what difference it makes if any.

I'm sorry I haven't posted my food diary yet I have had such a bad 2 days I just haven't had a chance to write it all down(the consultant has last weeks) BUT I am going to make a big effort to start posting tomorrow's tomorrow evening.

All your support has really helped though, I am NOT going to give up and I'm getting back in the fight :)

I would advise not changing more than one thing at a time ... if there is a difference you have no way of know what the reason was

that's all the same thing.. carbs... or as the poster below you put it, "white carbs"..

if I have bread, pasta or rice, I have bad losses

i have had my fifth weigh in tonight and im not happy, the first week i lost 5 lbs and was made up, second week i lost 3lbs and was really happy, third and fourth i stayed the same after being really good, fifth tonight i lost a pound. but this week i have been eating a lot more salad and veg etc and cnt see why i am not losing much. 9lbs in five weeks aint good to me. can anyone help ?

But you've done so well that is a fantastic loss better of than on ive lost 9lb in 4.5 weeks and im made up with that and really proud of myself i've seen a difference in my shape my clothes fit better already and i lost 3.5lb,1.5lb,2lb,2lb sorry to hear you're not happy post a diary on here and we can look.

hey becca

9lbs in 5 weeks is a brilliant weight loss. Okay so 2 weeks you stayed the same, but when you average it out, it is well over an average weight loss.

I hope you are not offended by what I say, but I really do think you have your expectations too high. While there are a small few that have big losses, it isn't ever a continous event. Weight loss can slow down or not happen at all on some weeks despite being on plan, it is not anything you can change. You just need to look at it as weight off. Imagine how you would feel if that was 9lbs on?

Try and focus on the fact that Slimming World is encouraging a healthy eating plan for life, experiment with foods and enjoy it. That way it doesnt become so much of a diet, but more a way of life and when the weight comes off in the process at whatever amount then BONUS!!!

Last edited:
Back