Time to move up?

CraftyLittleRat

Hi all,

Started in October at 18 stone 6 and I'm now at 14 stone 11. I still have at least 3 stone if not more to loose and I'm on SS+ at the moment.

Ever since Christmas my loss has slowed down. I'm managing 2lbs a week at the moment.

Started the Gym in January and loved it. Started doing a couch to 5k running program (with a storyline and zombies so really motivated me).

On the advice of my consultant I stopped going to the Gym as she thought it was causing my slow losses. She said I could go to the Gym but really should be doing step 3. It's been nearly 4 weeks since I stopped and still 2 lbs a week.

She's a bit worried about me going up as she thinks I'll gain muscle and the scale will stay the same or drop even more slowly. To be honest it's really put me off going up but I MISS the Gym and can't help hoping that my losses would stay stable or even improve. Does anyone think I should go up?

I can't moan at 2lbs a week - I never managed that before on any other diet but still feels achingly slow - half of the "a stone a month" that most others seem to get. If it remains stable that's 6 more MONTHS of SS+ to get to my goal which seems ridiculous (and heart breaking, I do miss food a bit!) any ideas why my losses might have slowed down this much.

Only other thing I can think of is I had an underactive thyroid. My last readings were within range and they took me off tablets; think it's worth getting them checked again to see if that might be an issue?

Hiya, with the gym and c25k you need to be on at least step 2. You won't build much muscle (you certainly won't bulk) and will lose more fat than you gain in muscle. You will still be eating at a deficit and though you will have an initial lb or so water weight due to your muscles getting used to it and healing that'll go.

If I were you I'd do step 2 for a few weeks and see how you do. You'll still be in ketosis but the extra 200 cals will get you through most exercise sessions.

If you had been exercising on ss you might find your losses slow due to our body entering starvation mode. So you were right to reduce it.

If you've had thyroid issues def get that checked regularly.

Xxx

I would defo try going up to step 2/3 and continue with the exercise, since your exercising you will have the equivilent deficit on step 2 with exercise then you would on ss+ without, with the added bonus of the toning that exercise will do. The trick is going to be tailoring your exercise routine to burning fat and toning rather then building muscle weight which FYI you'd need to be eating a very high protein diet and exercising a lot for it to start effecting your losses - you may however gain a little water weight from muscle repair, but it should only effect you for a week or so, so give step 2/3 a month with your excercises and let us know how you get on....

Thanks guys for your help.

Weighed in today after 2 weeks and had a loss of 6lbs. 4 of those were from this week (weighed at home so can compare!)

Consultant thinks I maybe sent my body into a panic with exercising and not enough calories and it's taken a few weeks tor right it and recognize that I'm not going to make it do exercise on 400 calories any more.

I've frozen my membership for now and I'm going to carry on SS/SS+ until I get a bit nearer my goal - wherever that might be!

Back