At what BMI would you class someone as 'slim'?

Interestingly professional rugby players can have a BMI that classes them as obese but they do not carry much fat and are certainly fit! Your BMI should be used as a guide, everyone is different and dropping too low is dangerous.
My fave way to keep on track is to take my measurements and I have certainly changed my mind on what my ideal weight & measurements should be, higher than I thought!
You are the only one who knows when you feel good but you do need to listen to your family and friends who may be seeing a different picture.
Stay strong and your eyes will catch up with your body.

bmi has nothing to do with how slim someone is. a person with high bmi can be slim.

the amount of fat in your body should be how you check how slim someone is.

Konvictz said:
bmi has nothing to do with how slim someone is. a person with high bmi can be slim.

the amount of fat in your body should be how you check how slim someone is.

I want to be a princess.... Will I get that lol? X

Yes it's true that someone with considerable muscle mass can still have a higher bmi and still be slim, but the majority of us do not have to worry too much about this, that said bmi is only a guide and fat percentage is more important. Not everyone has the means to test that though so we have the somewhat vague bmi. Men are more likely to have inaccurate results from the bmi but those with enough muscle mass to affect the result would in most cases be 'in the know' anyway.

Yes it's true that someone with considerable muscle mass can still have a higher bmi and still be slim, but the majority of us do not have to worry too much about this, that said bmi is only a guide and fat percentage is more important. Not everyone has the means to test that though so we have the somewhat vague bmi. Men are more likely to have inaccurate results from the bmi but those with enough muscle mass to affect the result would in most cases be 'in the know' anyway.

I agree, it is a very vague scale but even if you had 35% body fat at BMI 23, there's no way in a month of Sunday's I could ever considered that to be 'fat'!

Conversely I've also had a very low body fat content yet still been 'fat'. I think it also depends on the background and people you around. From my stats I might not seem fat but I am still larger than anyone I know which does contribute to your mental image of yourselv in your head

I've given up on BMI now :) I just get confused lol my target weight going by BMI just seems soooooooo low that I feel I'll never ever do it so i just concentrated on getting out of the RED zone so my docs would stop harping on!! I'm not obese anymore (woooooohooooo) and I'm not thin. I have weight to lose (been saying 50lbs but I have no real idea lol) and I'm plugging away at that.

I'm quite tall 5"10 and built fairly broad so 9st for me looks horrendous! That's what I was the day after my son was born (hard pregnancy and I actually lost weight dramatically) and I looked awful!! I liked myself at my pre pregnant weight of 11 but my body has changed after ten yrs an 3 kids so I have no idea what I want to be!!

I've given up on BMI now :) I just get confused lol my target weight going by BMI just seems soooooooo low that I feel I'll never ever do it so i just concentrated on getting out of the RED zone so my docs would stop harping on!! I'm not obese anymore (woooooohooooo) and I'm not thin. I have weight to lose (been saying 50lbs but I have no real idea lol) and I'm plugging away at that.

I'm quite tall 5"10 and built fairly broad so 9st for me looks horrendous! That's what I was the day after my son was born (hard pregnancy and I actually lost weight dramatically) and I looked awful!! I liked myself at my pre pregnant weight of 11 but my body has changed after ten yrs an 3 kids so I have no idea what I want to be!!

I know you're probably sick of people saying this, but you'll know when you get there. My original goal was 10 stone (just within my healthy BMI) but now it's 8 stone. My mum however is the same height as me and her goal weight is 12 stone, because she feels at her age that's a weight she'd be happy with appearance wise and also easily maintainable. 9st on you must of been soo thin!

Ha it was lol really not a good look!! Altho it was that long ago now I'm not sure I still HAVE ribs under there lol

Ha it was lol really not a good look!! Altho it was that long ago now I'm not sure I still HAVE ribs under there lol

Haha! No ribs in show is not a good look. So are you going to aim for 11 stone as your dream weight?

Legomom said:

I'm 5'8" large frame too and I feel great at 11 stone... Not quite there yet but not too far off... Any smaller and I look ill x

mmm i think 11 is the rough guesstimate at present ;) i'm nearly 14 at the mo so a ways to go yet! but this time last year i was 17 an a half!!

Legomom said:
mmm i think 11 is the rough guesstimate at present ;) i'm nearly 14 at the mo so a ways to go yet! but this time last year i was 17 an a half!!

Wow go you I'm 11'10 now but working hard to lose it... So difficult when you get to the last bit.. Well done... What plan are you following ? X

Wow go you I'm 11'10 now but working hard to lose it... So difficult when you get to the last bit.. Well done... What plan are you following ? X

People aren't lying when they say it -the last bit is the worst! . I don't think that question was directed at me but I'm calorie counting/healthy eating/gym.

Cool I'm basically low carbing / well no carbing....lol... Intensive workouts and eating small portions of just protein and minimal salad or veg x

People aren't lying when they say it -the last bit is the worst! . I don't think that question was directed at me but I'm calorie counting/healthy eating/gym.

This is SO true. it is particular hard when we're short and small framed. My goal wight used to be 102lbs but I already gave up at 107 lbs. I could lose a bit more because I have a small frame and people usually guess I'm heavier in weight/bmi than I really am (how frustrating), but everyones seem to agree than I look normal and godd, so I'm just learning to accept my current weight and trying to maintain it.
I may say that sometimes maintaining is almost as hard as losing...

Cool I'm basically low carbing / well no carbing....lol... Intensive workouts and eating small portions of just protein and minimal salad or veg x

Do you have a diary sigourney? It sounds like you're very dedicated, maybe you could send me some of your willpower ;)

xx

Aline said:
This is SO true. it is particular hard when we're short and small framed. My goal wight used to be 102lbs but I already gave up at 107 lbs. I could lose a bit more because I have a small frame and people usually guess I'm heavier in weight/bmi than I really am (how frustrating), but everyones seem to agree than I look normal and godd, so I'm just learning to accept my current weight and trying to maintain it.
I may say that sometimes maintaining is almost as hard as losing...

Do you have a diary sigourney? It sounds like you're very dedicated, maybe you could send me some of your willpower ;)

xx

Well today for instance I had two eggs before the gym.. A tin of tuna after... At 3 I had a little turkey and ham... And just now I had some minced beef( rinsed after cooking in boiling water 4 times to remove any fat) about 6 ounces cooked so a nice amount.. And a little lettuce and onion as a side... Black pepper , vinegar and carb free Peri peri sauce...to spice it up a little.. Ands that's pretty much a normal day.. That and 2 coffees 3 teas and 4 pints of the dreaded water ( 2 of which I drink whilst working out) I'm really trying at the min after a bad few days pre period... I would love to do my lipo trim shakes again but I can't do it I need to chew and this way is just as effective whilst giving me some energy to exercise ... Hope that helps... I have a little semi skimmed milk.. No more than 4 eggs a day and no more than 7 ounces of cheese weekly.. No yoghurt or butter or anything.. Hope it helps... It's not easy but it's the only way I lose , tried every other way and I don't lose an ounce... I know how to maintain my weight now.. So I just want this last 10 gone... Realistically even though it's not a massive amount I think it will take me about 6-8 weeks because my muscle mass is increasing ... But I figure heavier and toned and happy beats lighter saggy and miserable... X

That's really low carb:p I'm a vegfie so I couldn't eat like that but I could do that with tofu and other fake meats (some brands made them really low fat/carb and high protein). However I think I wouldn't last long because I love fruits. I can go for a day or two without grain, but I can't go without (lots of) fruit.

I fluctuate a lot but I know it happens because I'm not consistent with healthy eating all the time.

Talking about consistency, do you never eat fruits and grains?

Back