At what point shoud I reduce my syns to 5 per day?

cara78

HI Guys! I started at 15 syns per day then had a week where I gained and after looking at my food diary my consultant suggested dropping down to 10 which I have done...... is 10 ok for life? or should I reduce them to 5 if I stop losing? any feedback will be really welcome!!!! C x

Never!!!

Not long term anyway, I only reduce to 5 a day if I'm having a week where I really want to put my all into it and often combine it with Success Express. Also I did this during the last few weeks of reaching target.
You shouldn't really have to reduce syns at all, not even down to 10 and not long term.

Agree with Jaylou. You shouldn't have to.

I'll repeat the 'never'

This is a long term change to your eating- this would be completely unrealistic if it didn't allow a realistic amount of 'off-plan' food.

You could not maintain only 5 syns a day and would end up going off plan BIG style

thanks for quick reply guys!!! I really did not realise this!!!! I was certain at some point I would need to drop to 5!!! So it's good news really as I thought 5 was pretty low!!! to be honest i think I would still lose on 15 per day as since it's been ten I've been losing 3 pounds a week! (for 3 weeks anyway) whereas it was 1 or 2 before! I think that gain that time was just a blip!!!! thanks all and get luck with your losses xx

Good advice from Jaylou, never reduce your daily syns unless you are really struggling to get those last few lbs off, and only under your Consultants supervision.

I started at 15 a day and then after about a year on plan I was plateauing so dropped to 10 a day and it kickstarted my loss. I only have 5 a day on the weeks when I've got social events and want to save up a few syns to put towards the weekend or event. Otherwise I stick with 10 a day.

thanks stacey! do you find it's okay to have your 70 syns spread through out the week and/or saving them up for nights out?? thanks c x

I'm an old-school girl who joined SW when members were advised to work to 10 syns a day rather than 15. I've always followed that and never needed to reduce mysyns to get to target. After all it would be a strange diet that rewards you for getting to target by saying you can have fewer treats!. There are other ways of keeping the weight coming off and I would always recommend people do this rather than cut back on syns which could have the opposite effect by making you feel deprived and prone to straying. Even now I've been target for several years I still work to 10 to 15 syns a day, although it does feel ever so slightly naughty when I go over 10 :D

Don't reduce! I totally agree. I think a 70 per week guideline is sensible and it gives you 35 to play with for 'emergencies'.

There are other ways to help you out if you stop losing. There's the success express plan, speed food challenges, fast forward (for extreme emergencies), the water challenge, body magic....lots!

thanks for this - and wow congratulations on your weight loss!!!! I've asked a few people the following question and haev received various answers and wondered what your take was - is it vital to have 10 syns per day, or as long as you're having 70 a week does it matter how you you use them? I.e having them all on the weekend or sperad over four days? any feedback would be greatly appreciated! C xx

thanks for this - and wow congratulations on your weight loss!!!! I've asked a few people the following question and haev received various answers and wondered what your take was - is it vital to have 10 syns per day, or as long as you're having 70 a week does it matter how you you use them? I.e having them all on the weekend or sperad over four days? any feedback would be greatly appreciated! C xx

I use mine weekly, but you'll get differing answers to this question because some people prefer to use them daily.
I lke to have more treats at the weekend and can happily go without syns most days during the week.

I've been a member of SW for some time now, and have always worked on a 10-syn per day basis, but I have never stuck rigidly to making sure I have the full 10 EVERY day ....... sometimes I might only have 5 ....... but by preference, rather than "plan" ........ I reckon that so long as you don't go over the 70-105 per week, your weight should be ok! ;)

Some people like to "save" them up for the week-end or whatever, but I feel it's all about "fitting into your lifestyle" generally ....... you could "play around" with your syns a bit, and see how it works for you, and your body basically! Please DON'T deprive yourself by cutting back to 5 per day, that's only 35 per week!!!! ........... no, no, no Girl, you can do it without going to those extremes! :D

Best o'luck'n'stuff!

You need to experiment and see what works for you. Some people can eat less during the week and splurge on syns at weekend, and are able to lose weight doing this. Other people find that binge-synning like that prevents them losing weight and they need to eat them evenly for a steady loss. Everyone is different.

Back