Atkins Starter

mattymoo

Hello people.

Im going to be an atkins starter and need alittle advice.

Ive read the books (for the most part) and think im ready to go.

Im currently on the Cambridge diet and lost 30lb and just getting alittle bored of just having shakes and a meal bar.

The atkins looks to go to be true.

Hopefully starting induction next week but I just want to get this right? as for a typical day on induction.

Breakfast :
1.eggs (omelette,fried etc), Bacon
2.boiled egg with cheese? (cheeder) or (motz)

Lunch :
1.Chicken breast with mayo with iceberg

Dinner :
1.steak with cheese
2.burger (minced meat) with cheese

etc just need to get an idea. Im not find alot of choice for breakfast other than things with eggs.

any help would be great,

thanks

Don't forget you should aim for 12-15grams of carbs to be from foundation vegetables, look at the stickies on this thread and drink plenty of water. The new book has examples of a week's menus to give you ideas. Best of luck, you will never look back :)

Hi Mattymoo, I am also new to Atkins this week and so far so good, The sticky's on this site are fab.. Breakfast is hard for me too bus i'm having bacon, mushroom and egg, Good luck xx

Welcome and good luck. The sticky "so you are thinking of starting atkins" has the full list of allowed foods. As slaj says - you need way more veggies - this is a veggie heavy diet:D. Also probably dont want cheese so often during day - it stalls many people so use in moderation. Well done on your journey so far and enjoy the food:D

I agree with the veggie thing, need to add veggies. I'm not a fan of veg at all and never used to eat it at all before Atkins. Infact for the first couple of weeks of atkins i rarely had my veg allowance each day. But your tastes change and in the absence of having carbs with your meals, the veg makes a great substitute and keeps things more interesting. Plus veg always tastes better when you are able to put melted butter on top, something that i always take great pleasure in after having butter off limits for most of the rest of my life ;). Oh, and if you don't get veg you might get a bit bloated/constipated, that happened to me when i first started but isn't a problem now i eat lots.

oh yes the veggies wont be a problem.

we have a blancher and love buttered carrotts, cauliflour etc.

As for the cheese I dont each that much, But I could live off bacon and eggs in the morning :).

Seems untrue?

What is the new book? i current have the orange one the diet rev.

Be careful with carrots, they are a no no! Carrots and parsnips are very high in carbs. The new book is called New atkins new you, I got it on amazon quite reasonably :)

Welcome and good luck. The sticky "so you are thinking of starting atkins" has the full list of allowed foods. As slaj says - you need way more veggies - this is a veggie heavy diet:D. Also probably dont want cheese so often during day - it stalls many people so use in moderation. Well done on your journey so far and enjoy the food:D

Hi Katie

I am now wondering about this veggie carb thing and am second guessing myself here, could you please post an average day's menu for yourself, thanks it will give us newbies an idea where we are going wrong.

Hi silver, i wont post my current maintenance diet as includes sneaky sf goodies :eek: But an example of my sort of veg heavy induction might be:

B: Bacon and eggs and mushrooms
L: Chicken breast (or 2) and a large salad (lettuce and/or baby spinach leaves or rocket etc plus cucumber plus few cherry tomatoes plus a bit of red or green pepper)
D: steak/lmb/fish and at least 2 veg - so cauli mash plus grilled courgettes and pepper OR celeriac chips and green beans OR cauli mash and some leeks/mushrooms/peppers all stir fried. Perhaps all added with spinach cooked on the side (as only takes 60 s in mwave). Oh and how could i forget brocolli and aubergine and mushrooms and red cabbage and sprouts.......:D i've made my own mouth water now!

Frankly i personally have always eaten as much as i like of the lower carb veg eg greens with a smaller portion of the slightly carbier ones. Think i posted my meals in the early part of my diary so feel free to take a wander:)

Hi silver, i wont post my current maintenance diet as includes sneaky sf goodies :eek: But an example of my sort of veg heavy induction might be:

B: Bacon and eggs and mushrooms
L: Chicken breast (or 2) and a large salad (lettuce and/or baby spinach leaves or rocket etc plus cucumber plus few cherry tomatoes plus a bit of red or green pepper)
D: steak/lmb/fish and at least 2 veg - so cauli mash plus grilled courgettes and pepper OR celeriac chips and green beans OR cauli mash and some leeks/mushrooms/peppers all stir fried. Perhaps all added with spinach cooked on the side (as only takes 60 s in mwave). Oh and how could i forget brocolli and aubergine and mushrooms and red cabbage and sprouts.......:D i've made my own mouth water now!

Frankly i personally have always eaten as much as i like of the lower carb veg eg greens with a smaller portion of the slightly carbier ones. Think i posted my meals in the early part of my diary so feel free to take a wander:)

Thank you I will defo take a wander around your diary, so did you not have any MiM's, cheese, sossies, bacon or cream on induction?

I caught myself tonight at the supermarket looking at cocoa and thinking mmmmm chocolate MiM's but I think that could be the beginning of the slippery slope for me..............

Silvermoonbeam said:
Thank you I will defo take a wander around your diary, so did you not have any MiM's, cheese, sossies, bacon or cream on induction?

I caught myself tonight at the supermarket looking at cocoa and thinking mmmmm chocolate MiM's but I think that could be the beginning of the slippery slope for me..............

Lol - i certainly did have them all - so sorry wasnt clear about the recipes. Lunch and dinner would nclude fat/cream/cheese as appro

Bacon every day for brakfast for over a year now
Mims from about month 2-6 - probably half a day to keep me regular:eek: when i had more then stalled
Sausages - once a week? But pepperamis a daily staple of induction
Cheese And cream- a bit daily but not excessive amounts

Guess i was focusing on how many veg form the bulk of the chewy filling empty spaces food - but i am very pro fat to get your appetie satisfied:)

hello and welcome.
make yourself a diary,we will pop in and lend a hand
or have a chuckle :D
don't forget to drink your water.

Lol - i certainly did have them all - so sorry wasnt clear about the recipes. Lunch and dinner would nclude fat/cream/cheese as appro

Bacon every day for brakfast for over a year now
Mims from about month 2-6 - probably half a day to keep me regular:eek: when i had more then stalled
Sausages - once a week? But pepperamis a daily staple of induction
Cheese And cream- a bit daily but not excessive amounts

Guess i was focusing on how many veg form the bulk of the chewy filling empty spaces food - but i am very pro fat to get your appetie satisfied:)

Thanks for the tips from a pro. ;)

Back