Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

I spoke too soon, my first run after reverting back to my couch potato ways wasn't so easy peasy after all. It took a day and a half but then ohhh, were my calves stiff and sore! I just got in from a lovely walk - not much of a calorie-burner, but still nice. I am planning another jog this afternoon.

Calories actually came in way too low yesterday, I just wasn't that hungry plus I had two big spoonfuls of coconut oil in my tea and coffee. I'm off to a good start today - eggs for breakfast and a salad waiting in the fridge for dinner. I may grill some chicken breasts later on now that the weather is nice again.

Hope your calves are feeling better now!

They are thanks! As soon as I log off I'm going to go do it all over again!

I've been coming in around 25-ish net carbs each day lately, except for one where I went quite a bit over. I really need to swear off peanut butter for the foreseeable future... I figure under 30 is still good and should get me back in ketosis...not sure I'm there just yet but I feel like it's only a matter of time. I have been planning my menus a day in advance to help stop me from making poor impulse decisions. Sometimes I stray a little but I'm finding it helps to have an idea of what I'll eat and what the net carbs are. Otherwise I eat it first, then mark it down and get annoyed when I see it's put me over the day's allotment!

My calories have been way too low lately. I think the reason is I haven't been eating a lot of meat, and I could probably do with more fat too. The only real fat I'm getting is from the cream and coconut oil in my coffee and tea (which helps keep my hunger under control), then the rest is pretty much veggies. Sometimes I also eat eggs and cheese. I've not felt like cooking lately so am just making things that are quick and easy, but tomorrow I will try to plan a bit better.

I will weigh in on September 1...the end of August is just about doing damage control!! Considering the amount of weight I have to lose, I don't think 10lbs per month is an unreasonable goal for the next few months. If I could manage to be in the 170s - or maybe even 160s! - by the new year, that would be amazing. But really, I will be happy if I lose no matter what the amount.

Forgot to mention, I am trying to stay away from artificial sweeteners for the time being. Last night I did have some diet cola - it's the Soda Stream brand so it's sweetened with Splenda. But for the most part, my only sugar comes from what's naturally in vegetables.

I'm not sure if I'm one of the people who gets stalled by artificial sweeteners because before, I introduced a whole bunch of new stuff to my diet at once...nuts, Da Vinci syrups, Greek yogurt, etc. This time I will try to pace myself! I realize I'm not following the induction rules...or Atkins at all, for that matter. I'm just doing low carb. Maybe that's a mistake, but I think what happened before was I got tired of being so strict, got bored with my food and then went out of control. Right now I'm just trying to find a happy medium that I can stick with long term.

Last edited:
Your doing great, I was always about 30-35 during induction and lost with no problem. Maybe try a little liquid stevia or the powder (like splenda) as it's from a plant and the liquid is pure, but prob staying away from all of it is better. x

Thanks, it's great to hear that 30-35 worked for you! I find it takes a lot of planning - or deprivation - for me to stay under 20g day after day. Right now if I eat over 30 one day, I try to stay under the next. And I am trying to do the same thing with calories - more one day and fewer the next.

I did give in and have a little more Soda Stream cola tonight....I mostly just wanted the fizzy water but don't like it on its own. I have Stevia and Splenda in the cupboard but haven't really been tempted to use them. When I started making low carb desserts it woke up my sweet tooth and I started craving all kinds of bad stuff. These past few days I haven't missed sweets at all and haven't even been very hungry. I think it's thanks to the coconut oil in my coffee and tea! Usually I'm always hungry, so it's got me thinking I might be in ketosis again...not really sure though because I haven't noticed any of the telltale signs I had the first time around.

Yesterday I had another good workout - a 30 minute jog followed by a 20 minute brisk walk. I also did a bit with the weights, though I find it tough to lift very much after a bunch of cardio. I am using 5lb hand weights and feel like I don't know what I'm doing. I think I will have to find some instructional videos online so I know what exercises to do! I really need something that will target the flab under my arms! :p

In September I am going to:

1) Make sure I drink plenty of water.

2) Be better about tracking my food and (when necessary) taking my multivitamin and/or supplements.

3) Work out 5+ days per week for at least 30 minutes at a time - but ideally longer. Specifically, I want to keep doing my jogging! But I know it's important to switch things up sometimes too, so I also want to try some new things.

4) Stay under 35g net carbs each and every day...preferably a bit lower than that.

So that's the what. Now the how...

1) If I'm tracking what I eat, drinking water won't be difficult. I don't mind it and can drink a whole bottle in one go. My problem is simply not thinking of it.

2) I hate tracking what I eat. Hate hate hate! But I know it's necessary if I'm going to be successful. Keeping my meals simple should make it less tedious.

3) Working out first thing in the morning is probably the best way for me to make sure it gets done. So I will start setting my alarm and following a schedule.

4) To eat low carb, I need to plan my meals in advance so I don't make poor choices when I'm hungry or rushed. Coconut oil is also helping to curb my appetite.

So there we go. Sounds easy enough, right? ;)

Tomorrow I will weigh in and do my measurements. I am not expecting much...after the way I've been eating I will be happy with anything less than 203lbs, which is what I weighed the last time I checked. I would loooove to start out September at 200lbs (or 199!) but I am not holding my breath. I haven't been doing the work so it's silly to expect the results! Anyway, I will pop in tomorrow to update. I hope everyone has a great day - or night, I guess, since most of you are in the UK! :)

Sounds like a good plan. You seem focussed :) Do post whether it's good news or bad. New month, new start :)

Hi, your goals for the month sound great, I have started back today after being absent for a few months, I am not following Atkins at the moment but I will get there soon, at the moment i am doing a green smoothie diet. Good Luck

Right before I started Atkins I had actually been reading about the green smoothie diet! How are you liking it? I can do spinach in a smoothie but when I tried other things I found the taste or texture to be weird. I suppose I'm probably the strange one because if my smoothie looks green, it needs to TASTE green! I made one with kiwi, pineapple, spinach and I forget what else and it was really nice. I also quickly discovered I can't handle cucumber or celery in a smoothie! :p Anyway, good luck to you, I hope it goes well! It sounds like green smoothies have wonderful health benefits. I may even give it another go at some point in the future.

So this morning my alarm went off bright and early, but I'd had a horrible night's sleep so I just shut it off. No big deal, I'm up now and sitting here in my workout clothes all ready to go. When I finally did roll out of bed, I weighed in at 199lbs - I so wasn't expecting to be back in the 100s!!!!! I am going to try my hardest to drop 10lbs this month...so I guess I'd better sign off and go do my jogging!

30 minute jog, 30 minute walk, 100 reps with the 5lb hand weights, 100 crunches and some squats. September is off to a good start! I think my calves will be sore tomorrow!

37 net carbs for the day (whoops), just over 1,300 calories consumed. My workout apparently burned around 500 calories.

I have been incredibly grumpy for the past day and a half! Absolutely everything is getting on my nerves and I owe a few apologies for snapping for no good reason. I wonder if that means I'm nearing ketosis? I seem to be an absolute ogre every time that happens!

Hi Canadian - your plan sounds good and I know will work! Know what you mean about waiting for k - I've been starving & snacking all day! Keep reminding myself that this is the time to feed my hunger with good fats/protein & I worry about quantity later!
Keep it up
Xx

I can't remember if I've mentioned this here or not, so I may be repeating myself. The last time I went low carb (following the Atkins induction rules) I went an entire month without a migraine. For me that's absolutely unheard of. As I started adding more foods back in and straying from the plan, the migraines came back. I didn't want to get my hopes up in case it was a fluke, but now that I'm back at it my migraines - which usually make an appearance a few times a week - have quit again. If that's not a great reason to stay on track I don't know what is!

Today my calories were around 1200 and my net carbs were 23g. I went for a walk this evening - I decided to give my shins a break and not do another jog until tomorrow. I am still working on getting my 8 glasses of water for the day.

I agree it helps when staying low carb makes you feel better:). If I have wheat I get nasty boils and other grains horrible tummies - makes it easier to stick with food that suits me best!

Today didn't go well. I ate allowed foods, but from the moment I woke up I was incredibly hungry and no matter how much I ate, that continued all day. I went way, way over my carbs...and calories...and everything else. It caught me off guard so I didn't really plan for it properly. I will have to spend the rest of the week making up for it. :(

Today was slightly better but still not great. Interestingly I had a migraine today, the day after I cheated. Serves me right! I am going to try to be super strict the next few days so my slipups won't set my progress back too much. I was doing so well there for a few days...I want to keep that momentum going!!

Back