Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

As long as today is better than yesterday, everyday, you'll get there. Keep it going x

Hi, forget the highcsrb day, we all do it, the important thing is getting back on track

Well done getting back on the wagon!

Sorry I haven't been checking in as often lately, I've just been busy with other things.

I'm still at it. I still really hate tracking my food and sometimes just estimate rather than bother with MFP. I feel like that can be a slippery slope for me. I am planning to weigh in again on Monday (and measure, which I forgot to do the last time I weighed in). I guess that will be my moment of truth - either what I'm doing is working or I need to be more strict.

Exercise is still hit or miss - I either have a fantastic workout or skip it entirely. But I'm less sedentary than I used to be and I haven't had any knee pain at all during my 30 minute jogs. Apparently just dropping 10lbs or whatever it was made a big difference!

Hope everyone is well! I will check in again after my weigh in.

Tonight I went for a drive and ended up going through a drive thru! One step forward and two steps back...

The first time I got into ketosis I didn't feel great. I didn't get the keto flu but my stomach felt bloated and uncomfortable for a while and I just felt kind of off. It wasn't pleasant, but it made it fairly easy for me to stay under on my carbs. I got into ketosis pretty fast, which made my appetite go away, and then I did well until I started taking too many liberties and got off track.

This time around I feel fine. It's a good thing, but it also means I'm struggling a lot with hunger while I wait for ketosis to set in. The cold, damp weather isn't helping either - I always just want to EAT (usually carb-y comfort food) when it's miserable outside. I think the answer is probably just to plan my meals in advance and make sure I'm getting enough fat to feel full those first few days...and to be sure to stay busy so I'm too preoccupied to cheat. I will give it another go tomorrow.

The good news: I had a great workout last night - 30 minute run, 30 minutes brisk walking, some weights, pushups and situps that I can still feel the effects of today!

Today has been better. Breakfast was my usual coffee with cream and coconut oil. Lunch was tuna and mayo wrapped in swisschard. Dinner was crockpot chicken with salsa and melted cheese, sliced cucumber and tomato. I've been looking at some low carb muffin and bread recipes and may try one this evening. Pumpkin muffins sound good. Pumpkin EVERYTHING sounds good this time of year! :D

After pretty closely scrutinizing the nutrition labels of different brands, I've recently switched from heavy cream to light. I like A LOT of cream in my tea and coffee, so to me it just makes more sense...especially because I get fat from the coconut oil I usually mix in. I am thinking though that I should switch to decaf coffee at least some of the time because I've started drinking A LOT of coffee lately. I don't do it for the caffeine, but to help stave off hunger.

I still need to decide what to eat tomorrow. Having at least a vague plan seems to help me stay focused.

It was good!

I completely forgot to weigh in this morning. I did it a few minutes ago and the scale was hovering between 199 and 200, but that was after drinking an entire pot of coffee so who knows. I will try to remember to weigh in first thing tomorrow or the next day! At least I haven't gained after my massive cheats, so that's something.

Well done. All you can ever do is keep going:)

Any liquid will add to your weight for the first few hours after drinking it.

Back at it today, finally. I don't know where my head has been at lately, but no more of this cheating nonsense. All this going on and off diets is probably confusing my body...I need to just make a decision and stick with it, and I choose low carb! Sometimes I think to myself if I could just stick with a plan for even a few months, I could see some pretty significant results. So that's what I am going to do. Time to get back in ketosis and STAY THERE!

Hi Canadian, I've been low carbing for weeks and lost a stone but keep getting to the stage I give up at. I think this is the reason I keep knocking myself out of ketosis by making the wrong choices. I choose low carb too! Good luck and hope to keep up with your diary x

Ugh, I could do without this time of year! :)

Hi Whimsyfae, congrats on losing a stone, that's wonderful! I struggle a lot with making the right choices. Right now I am back to planning my meals in advance and meticulously tracking carbs. It's kind of a pain but I know it will work if I can just stick with it, so I am going to try. Good luck with your low carbing, keep us posted on how it's going! :)

I'm still at it. I must have done a lot of damage the last time I strayed from low carbing (not surprising) because right now I'm hovering slightly above 200lbs. I really want to change that! I am not noticing the acetone smell that told me I was in ketosis before, but then I haven't been working out much either. I need to get back to my running. Yesterday and today I did FINALLY notice some appetite suppression so I think I'm on the right track.

I am here to confess. I had a bad day and immediately looked to food to console myself. Tsk, tsk!

I am just thinking out loud here but before I tried low carb I was doing calorie shifting (JUDDD). I liked the idea of it and dropped a few pounds fairly quickly. I had trouble sticking with the diet mostly due to getting bad migraines. I thought skipping meals was triggering them. Then I found out eating low carb keeps my migraines under control. Even if I never lose another pound, that discovery makes low carbing SO worth it!

Now I am wondering if I should give JUDDD another try. Maybe this time I won't have issues with the migraines, so long as I watch my carbs and sugar. In theory it should be easier to do the low calorie days if I'm in ketosis and not hungry anyway, right? Do you ladies know of anyone who has done calorie shifting and low carb at the same time? I would love to read about others' experiences!

Last edited:
Back