Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

Yay on the jacket! :)

My appetite is back! I don't usually post my food here, but today I've had:

Decaf coffee with whipping cream

Caesar salad (lettuce with parmesan and swiss cheese, dressing and crumbled bacon)

Cheddar cheese melted on a beef burger patty with raddish and steamed cabbage, topped with black pepper, red pepper flakes and sour cream...mmm!

Apparently all that only comes to 870 calories or so. I guess I'll have to think of what I'd like for a snack later on. What a drastic difference! When I was calorie counting it was the opposite, with me desperate to eat something but already over my calories by evening. That led to an awful lot of binge eating, very little weight loss and a ton of frustration! I really truly think it was because I was eating low fat and light versions of everything...plus all those carbs. I haven't been hungry once while doing induction and aside from a few wistful glances at things other people were eating or food commercials on TV, I really haven't felt deprived. Not sure why I'm writing this all out but I know I'd read others' diaries whenever I was on the fence about starting a new diet, so maybe my oversharing will actually be useful to someone. :)

I came across an interesting article. It's about how low fat, high carb diets came to be the standard and why saturated fat is perhaps unfairly viewed as the enemy. It's written from an American perspective but sheds a little light on some of the political and monetary influences at play when it comes to devising nutritional guidelines. The article is lengthy but I'm going to share it here in case anyone else cares to read it - and so I can find it again easily if I want it!

The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease - WSJ.com

Well done sounds like your doing well with the plan and sticking to it. I always found it so strange to not be hungry for days on end but happens to us all.

Interesting article. Have a good day. x

Still no loss. The scale actually showed 204.2 this morning. :( I hope that whoosh I keep hearing about happens soon!

Today was my first day eating at a restaurant while on induction. I had a Caesar salad minus the croutons - yes, again - with grilled chicken and a bit of steak. I forgot to ask if the dressing was light or full fat, but I won't be over on my carbs anyway since that was all I ate all day. I know we're supposed to eat at least every 6 hours but my day was so chaotic that it just didn't happen. We didn't even get to the restaurant for lunch until 3:30pm.

These next few days I'm going to be extra diligent about making sure I get enough calories - so far I've fallen short of my 1500 goal every single day! Usually I come in around 1100.

I'm really tired so won't write any more. I hope everyone had a good day.

Sorry to hear you woosh did arrive but it still might. Maybe because you didn't eat all day and then ate in evening? I know my calories always fell short on induction too weird isn't it. Hope you get that woosh today x

Still hanging in there but the scale has not been kind lately. This morning I was really discouraged, was sick of my usual induction foods and felt like giving up. I know I'm still in ketotis and, though I've stopped tracking my food in MFP lately, I know I'm still following the rules. It could be that my body just needs time to adjust...I'm trying not to lose sight of the fact that I had a great first two weeks and my clothes are fitting better, but I still can't help but wonder if I'm missing something. I think I may stop eating cheese completely :)() and see if that helps the scale budge.

It's very normal to have a pause a couple of weeks in while you body catches up. You are still burning fat but body is desperately hanging in to it's previous norm. I HIGHLY recccomend you stick with what's been working. This is where people fail - either cut stuff out and then make it unbearable/go into starvation mode or give up and hit the carbs. Deep breaths and hang in there - it does work!

Tonight I tried a flax muffin recipe. I cut down on the flax seed because the book says to only have one tablespoon per day. I also used egg whites instead of eggs. The muffin was small but I was impressed by the way it fluffed up in the mug! Microwaving it is so quick and easy - love it! I only ate half of the muffin but it was so nice to have something different.

I also stuffed some peppers with cream cheese and bacon, made a couple different salads and a snack tray (sliced cucumber and raddish, nitrate-free chicken cold cut, a bit of gouda cheese and some green olives) and baked some bacon and egg breakfast muffins. I didn't follow any muffin recipe in particular but maybe I should have. The breakfast "muffins" taste good but are quite flat. I don't like to make breakfast in the morning so it will be nice to have something prepared in advance.

TMI but I wish the flax would start working! :( I know the book says only 3 cups of veggies but I've upped it a little - while still staying under 20g of carbs - in the hopes of helping things along in that department. No luck so far. The lack of fibre is having a terrible effect - no wonder I'm not losing any weight!

Now for the shopping news!

As I've mentioned I'm getting tired of the usual and have been wanting some different flavours. Yesterday I found some fresh salsa in the deli aisle that has low carbs and no added sugar. The real surprising part is I actually liked it! I'm usually quite picky about salsa and prefer a certain brand, but I would buy this kind again even if I wasn't on induction. I think I'll use some of it in the next chicken dish I make.

I also found Da Vinci no sugar vanilla syrup in the coffee aisle, which I've seen a ton of people (Americans?) mention. From what I've read people have trouble finding it in Canada. Since I don't live in one of the big cities I didn't have high hopes, so spotting it in my little old grocery store was a nice surprise! I got it for $6 whereas it's $10+ online plus shipping. I would have preferred caramel but I'll take what I can get. There is also a lime one that I'd love to get my hands on someday, but I don't want to buy a bunch at once in case I'm tempted to overdo it on the artificial sweeteners. The vanilla syrup smells delicious and I expect it will be nice with whipped cream or even in a blended drink.

I took my measurements again, but I'm not sure what to think. I had good losses in some spots - and I can vouch for having lost inches in the waist - but I'm actually larger in other places? I must have been holding the tape measure more loosely or measured a slightly different spot this time, I don't know. So take this with a grain of salt, but here's what I got after 2.5 weeks of induction:

Upper arms: Down 0.5"

Waist: Down 1.5"

Hips: Up 0.5" (?!)

Bust: No change

Under bust: Down 1.0"

Thighs: Up 0.5" (?!)

Overall I'm happy - as happy as one can be with dodgy measurements that may or may not be accurate, anyway! :D

Lots of downs so be happy happy :) Well done!

Well done on the inch loss! Susie is a Davici syrup expert. I have coconut and english toffee and they are delicious. Any online shop that sells low carb products may have them too. x

Ooh that's good to know,coffeelover! :) Last night I mixed the syrup with almond milk, cream, ice and water and it tasted just like vanilla ice cream. So good!

I made a mistake. I was shopping in a hurry the other night because the grocery store was about to close and I wanted to make sure I got everything on my list. I glanced at the label on the salsa I found and thought it said 0 sugar, so bought it and happily ate it yesterday. But I must have looked at the wrong line - it's actually 2g of sugar per serving! I'm annoyed, especially since I wasn't even intentionally cheating. Incidentally MFP says I get a small amount of sugar even when I'm eating induction-friendly foods, so maybe the salsa isn't that big of a deal.

Interestingly, for the first time since starting induction I just wanted to eat and eat last night. I wonder if the sugar triggered it or if it's a coincidence? I didn't eat any off limits foods but may have gone slightly over my 20g of carbs. I've read that many people can stay in ketosis on 30g or even sometimes 50g, so hopefully I haven't set myself back too far. I'm being extra diligent today to try to make up for it.

Back