Atkins: The Diet I Never Thought I'd Try

That's true.

After my last post I cheated on my diet - I ate a bowl of cereal and then a bit later had ice cream. I know exactly why I did it, too: stress eating over some things going on in my personal life at the moment. I really need to learn not to do that, although it's my first unplanned cheat since I started (and second one overall). It wasn't so great. The idea of carbs and sugar is better than actually eating them. So I'm not really feeling satisfied in any way; just frustrated that I caved into temptation. Back to induction tomorrow...

That's true. After my last post I cheated on my diet - I ate a bowl of cereal and then a bit later had ice cream. I know exactly why I did it, too: stress eating over some things going on in my personal life at the moment. I really need to learn not to do that, although it's my first unplanned cheat since I started (and second one overall). It wasn't so great. The idea of carbs and sugar is better than actually eating them. So I'm not really feeling satisfied in any way; just frustrated that I caved into temptation. Back to induction tomorrow...

So I can confess to eating dominos pizza and cider!

So I can confess to eating dominos pizza and cider!

Haha yes, you can! Had I planned my cheat in advance I'd have gone with nachos and margaritas... I really dropped the ball on that one! ;) Maybe next month...

Maybe last night was actually a good thing. It's given me the kick I need to get really diligent about dieting again. I had been more or less following the rules, but I wasn't tracking as carefully as I probably should have been. So now I'm back to counting and measuring...at least for a little while.

Food today:

Decaf coffee with coconut oil and cream
One sausage
Green beans with butter
One hamburger patty
Yogurt with fresh blueberries

Total net carbs: 19
Total calories: 724

I am still working on getting my 8 glasses of water.

My calories are low, but I feel satisfied. I seem to naturally calorie cycle when left to my own devices, so I expect tomorrow I will eat more calories. I know the yogurt and blueberries aren't meant to be added in until the next stage of Atkins, but these days I'm concentrating more on net carbs and sugar content than the almighty list of allowed foods. I think the induction list is great because it helps simplify things back when the diet is new and overwhelming, but I feel ready to cautiously start adding a few things back in. As long as they don't stall me, I'm not going to worry about whether they're induction-friendly. I suppose what I'm doing lately is more a ketogenic diet than Atkins but hey, whatever works.

Today was spent running around doing errands and chores. Tomorrow I will have to get a proper workout in.

I almost forgot, I ordered a TON of Da Vinci sugar free syrups! Summer just isn't summer without delicious cold blended drinks. For now I'm avoiding alcohol, and I can't even do fruit smoothies at the moment...so this will be a nice compromise. I'm looking forward to trying all the new flavours! If they are half as good as the vanilla then I know I'll love them.

I almost forgot, I ordered a TON of Da Vinci sugar free syrups! Summer just isn't summer without delicious cold blended drinks. For now I'm avoiding alcohol, and I can't even do fruit smoothies at the moment...so this will be a nice compromise. I'm looking forward to trying all the new flavours! If they are half as good as the vanilla then I know I'll love them.

I'll have a look for those! How are you working out net carbs? What does that mean your total carbs are? I need energy foods so thinking I might do 30g carbs and add berries.

I'll have a look for those! How are you working out net carbs? What does that mean your total carbs are? I need energy foods so thinking I might do 30g carbs and add berries.

Net carbs are carbs minus fiber. But if you're in the UK I think the labels on food are different than they are here...I'm thinking ours show total carbs and yours already show the net carbs? I could be mistaken, but I know there's a difference of some sort! (I also use My Fitness Pal to track my carbs sometimes - it was especially useful when I was starting out.) 30g carbs and berries sounds like a good plan. I mean I'm certainly no expert, but from what I've read anything under 50g carbs is considered low carb, and berries are fine in the second stage of Atkins. :) Good luck!

Oh, and about Da Vinci, if you're in the UK ladyfelshem recently gave me some links to online retailers in the UK. It's near the end of her diary. The place I ordered from only delivers in North America. I can find the vanilla no sugar syrup here in stores but so far none of the other flavours. Since I don't know when the next time I'll be in the US is, I figured I'd just pay a little extra for the convenience of getting the flavours I want ASAP.

It looks like I'm cooking for company for the next four days. When I'm tracking, I like to cook simply. I find it very difficult to track food quantities when I make dishes with multiple ingredients, and I'm not exactly going to sit down at the table with a measuring cup. So I'm kind of winging it. I'm making mostly diet-friendly dishes and am just steering clear of the pasta, bread, rice, sweets, etc. I won't be tracking in MFP for the next few days just because I can't be bothered sitting down and trying to figure it all out when I'm busy, but I'm confident I've been staying on track. This is a good challenge for me.

It looks like I'm cooking for company for the next four days. When I'm tracking, I like to cook simply. I find it very difficult to track food quantities when I make dishes with multiple ingredients, and I'm not exactly going to sit down at the table with a measuring cup. So I'm kind of winging it. I'm making mostly diet-friendly dishes and am just steering clear of the pasta, bread, rice, sweets, etc. I won't be tracking in MFP for the next few days just because I can't be bothered sitting down and trying to figure it all out when I'm busy, but I'm confident I've been staying on track. This is a good challenge for me.

Sounds like you are handling it well. We do pretty much know what's ok. I like tracking - I was half back on it yesterday and will be today then serious from Saturday!

Morning hun

Sounds like you've had a lot going in life - so don't sabotage yourself with the guilts (although easier said than done, I know) - and you're back on plan, so all good. More leafy greens though :)

And very well done on the gym! I am absolutely pathetic at motivating myself to do exercise - I KNOW it will help weight loss, I KNOW I'll feel better afterwards - but boy can I come up with inventive excuses not to....:eek:

FYI the Da Vinci syrups are sold through the Low Carb Megastore here - big bottles so they take a while to use up.

Sounds like you are handling it well. We do pretty much know what's ok. I like tracking - I was half back on it yesterday and will be today then serious from Saturday!

I like tracking too; it makes me feel more in control. But I think I'm doing okay right now...probably. I've had willpower of steel avoiding off limits favourites these past few days! That said, I have indulged in a few chocolate chips here and there, but likely not enough to matter. I will weigh in soon to make sure I actually am more or less on track.

Morning hun

Sounds like you've had a lot going in life - so don't sabotage yourself with the guilts (although easier said than done, I know) - and you're back on plan, so all good. More leafy greens though :)

And very well done on the gym! I am absolutely pathetic at motivating myself to do exercise - I KNOW it will help weight loss, I KNOW I'll feel better afterwards - but boy can I come up with inventive excuses not to....:eek:

FYI the Da Vinci syrups are sold through the Low Carb Megastore here - big bottles so they take a while to use up.

I'd like to say I've been consistent with it, but I haven't. I must do better!!

The Da Vinci syrups should arrive toward the end of the month. It's taking that long because the company isn't getting some of the flavours I want in until the 19th. I've ordered something like 10 different kinds...nothing like going overboard, huh? But I wanted that free shipping... :p I'm so looking forward to trying some new flavours!

Typically I put my vanilla syrup in a smoothie. I find that when I blend it with ice, water and cream the consistency isn't what I like. Avocado is the best way to achieve that smooth creaminess that makes it seem more like ice cream and less like a snow cone. But I'd love to be able to have options other than avocado...I must look into that.

I cheated yesterday. Back on track today and determined to do better. The disruptions should be at a minimum for the rest of the month and I won't be cooking for company after tomorrow so it should be easier.

I'm not sure I'm back in ketosis yet - it was a BIG cheat the other day :eek: - but I expect I should be by tomorrow. At this rate I may not lose the 10lbs I was hoping to in June but I still want to try to come as close as possible. That means I have to put in more effort! There are 14 days left in the month so I'm aiming for 7 workouts (jog 30 minutes, weights, crunches and pushups). That will give me one day to recuperate after each session because that routine leaves me sore!

Food for yesterday was coffee, a bunless burger, salad greens and radishes and an avocado smoothie. I lost track of my water intake but it may not have been high enough. I will try to drink more water today!

Food for today so far has been coffee and two bunless chicken hotdogs with melted cheese, salsa and mustard. I found a different, lower carb salsa so am happy about that. But I'm still trying to limit it because it's very easy for me to get carried away with it.

I think I will have seafood of some sort for dinner. I don't eat nearly enough fish and I feel like I've been overdoing the red meat lately.

For the most part I've found cheating to be pretty unsatisfying, actually. (In the past, cheating on a diet would be satisfying in the moment and then I'd feel bad after...but now I usually am like "hmm, this isn't so great" even as I'm eating something that's off limits). There has been the odd thing that's been amazing I guess because sugar tastes so much sweeter now, but I try not to think about that. :p

Ugh last night and today I just wanted to eat everything in sight - and today I especially wanted carbs in general. I ate allowed foods but I ate a lot of them. I feel like I totally pigged out although in reality my calories while eating induction foods are always on the low side so it probably wasn't as bad as I think. I got some bad news earlier this week so it may be stress-related eating. But it could also be that I wasn't quite back in ketosis yet so didn't have its appetite suppression on my side.

I'm pretty sure I'm back in ketosis again now so hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

I didn't get my workout in today, I just haven't felt motivated. :(

I probably shouldn't have weighed myself this morning after eating so much yesterday, but I did. I'm hovering right around 200lbs - no surprise considering I've cheated twice this month and haven't been exercising. No one to blame but myself! I'm trying to eat very clean today and will do my workout for sure!

I keep looking at my stats when I post. 70lbs seemed insurmountable when I started and now that "Weight to Lose" says 53lbs it seems so much more attainable. I will be thrilled when it says 49! Hopefully that will be soon...but I know I need to be more focused if that's going to happen. I guess that's my new little mini goal! Well, that and to consistently stay in the 100s.

Back