Attempting a Healthier, Cleaner Lifestyle free from Refined Sugars :)

Thanks for the support guys, I really need it right now! Ive not posted the last couple days not because they have been awful, just as I've had no time! Tuesday was good for food, I went out for cocktails in the evening but I don't count alcohol so I would say it was a good day! Then yesterday I just had it in my head that I wanted something 'nice' aka chocolate! I worked a really long shift in work as they were struggling and wanted to use that as a justification to eat badly. I'd gone well in the morning - banana for breakfast, then 2 plums, then a nice big sweet potato salad. I was really hungry when I left work so ate an apple on the way home, but had to do a food shop - literally the worst trigger for me. I'm going to admit now that I did eat too much - but it's all 'clean' so not going to beat myself ups about it. I ended up having a Nakd bar, then came home and had 3 yogurt coated rice cakes (not clean but not bad) and 5 mini clean homemade brownies. I then had soup for dinner (no bread!) and before bed had one more brownie, along with 3 dark chocolate coated strawberries. So although I was annoyed at myself for eating too much sugar, it was all mainly non-refined sugar so I am not classing it as a fail!

Back on it today with a late brunch of an omelette, as I know that will fill me up properly and I'll be good until dinner time. But I'll update later!

Chocolate brownies!! Did you make them? If so, Any chance you can give me the recipe for those brownies? They sound delicious!!

Sugar is the problem with me to do anything you can give me will be greatly appreciated!!

You don't seem to have done too badly - your treats are pretty healthy and lovely at the same time!

How did today go with the food? x

So another day similar to yesterday. Not the best, but everything I have eaten as been 'clean'. I had a nice big omelette (1 egg 2 whites) with spinach, pepper and mushrooms, with some cottage cheese for breakfast/lunch. I knew that I didn't want a full meal for dinner as I had a class at the gym, so snacked for most of the afternoon. I had: kale chips and asparagus spears with cheese, 4 mini homemade clean brownies, about 6/7 dark chocolate strawberries and a homemade granola bar. What is good is that all my 'treats' e.g. brownies are gone now, so I can't be tempted when I'm at home! So I actually haven't eaten that much today - probably good as it will give my body a bit of a rest and do some proper digestion/restoration work whilst I sleep. Think that will also be helped by the fact that I went to the gym tonight and haven't eaten anything afterwards - hopefully the exercise will get rid of the glucose in me and burn my fat away whilst I sleep. Maybe I'll wake up looking like Kelly Brook ;)

I have a long day again tomorrow, and going to a friends for dinner so a bit wary of that. I will just make good choices in the daytime that I'm more than prepared for, and do my best in the evening. Feeling so much better about everything today.

Oh, I forgot to mention as well - jumped on the scales this morning as I feel like I gotten into the right mind frame. The scales read 10.6.25, so whilst it's not bad, and nowhere near my start weight, it still needs to be kept under control. But I have around 12 weeks until I go on holiday, so plenty of time to get ready! Will also be weigh training, so will be looking for changes in myself rather than on the scales - although that will be difficult!

Eurgh. Had the worst week.
I've just not had my head in the right place. I have been starting the day well, then just binge eating so much in the evenings. Like, so much it hurts my stomach. I'm really upset as I'm pretty sure I have put on all the weight I have lost, when it took so long to lose. Just really annoyed at myself over it.

Why does food have to have so much emotional impact? Why can't I be one of those people who couldn't care either way about food? Who can buy a pack of biscuits and not eat them all in one sitting?

But I need to face it - I do have an emotional problem with food. I know that. I eat when I'm happy, sad, lonely, bored. I think it will make me feel great, but actually it brings so much sadness. I actually feel ashamed of myself, especially after tonight's binge.

But I am determined to start fresh. There can't be another way. I don't want to see any of my friends because I'm embarrassed about the weight I have put on, I don't want to be intimate with my boyfriend for the same reason - I'm actually dreading seeing him, which makes me so sad because I actually love him so much. I just want to be perfect for him. And I know I'm so much more confident when I'm slimmer, and we have a better time together as I'm not consumed with paying attention to how I sit or making sure he doesn't touch a wobbly part. I just want to be that person again.

So I've been thinking of ways to get myself back on track. I could restrict myself, and only eat one meal tomorrow as a kick start - but I'm scared I will just end up binging tomorrow evening. But in the same respect, I can't eat too much, even if it's all good stuff - I know psychologically I need to feel thin, I need to feel empty to remind myself what it feels like. So I think the best way to deal with this is to eat small snacks, but regularly, throughout the day tomorrow. Mainly fruit and veg, and lots and lots of water to try and get all these toxins out of my system. I think the main thing for me is to keep busy.

Wish me luck, for tomorrow, the start of no binging.

I could have written that! It's so my whole day yesterday!! Started with chocolate cake at work and went down hill from there! It's so hard to keep going sometimes!

Remember though, when you feel like a binge, you can read that last comment and you'll remember how you felt the last time and it may help you to stop? I don't know, it's just a thought!

I also can't believe that you could have put on much weight in a week? And it won't take too much time to shift! Be positive. You've done it before-you can do it again! I believe in you!!

Thanks els - it's just so hard sometimes. Why is it so hard?! Yesterday ended in a binge, after I had all that positivity. I think because I knew I was going out tonight for dinner - kind of thought, well I'm going to ruin it tomorrow, so might as well start on Monday. Which is what I wholeheartedly am going to do. I don't want to make it sound like excuses, but sometimes I feel that once I have ran my body down so much (e.g. after Christmas, when every day is a binge) I'm actually excited to start making healthy choices again, and feel like it is something I want to do. I woke up feeling like that this morning - I was craving healthy foods, which is a definite sign my body is deficient. But I also know I'm going our for dinner later. So last night make the decision to start on Monday (tomorrow). I am currently making a week plan with all the food I am going to eat, to make my life a bit easier and so I know I have planned in advance. Fail to prepare prepare to fail I suppose! So going to spend the day eating what I want, getting it all out my system, then tomorrow is the big start. And for the first time in agessss, I'm really looking forward to it!

Good idea to start again tomorrow. Enjoy today, allow yourself to eat whatever you want guilt free. Maybe don't have chocolate tomorrow and promise yourself you can have some on Tuesday? That's what I do and it seems to work for me.

So I ate what I wanted today - but weirdly enough found myself not really wanting that much. I mean, I did pig out, but not nearly as much as I have been doing the past week or so. I think thats a sign my body is getting sick and tired and neeeeeeeds a healthier lifestyle, rather than just wants it. Happy days! I've made a plan for myself for the week so no more excuses. It's tomorrow or never! I have an event coming up in 2 weeks and would like to just feel less bloated for that.

Also that is a good idea Els - I'll do tomorrow, chocolate/binge free and then if I complete that I can have some chocolate Tuesday. IT's all about moderation :)

I just feel in a happier, better place about starting fresh tomorrow. It's really my time!

And she's back :)
Didn't get to post yesterday as I was really busy, but had a good first day. Weighed in at 10st10.75lbs - a massive 6.75lbs gain!! Really annoyed at myself, but I suppose I must see it as a kick up the ars*! Had a bit of a picky day as I wasn't very hungry.

B - scrambled eggs (1 egg 2 whites)
L - banana, packet of wholewheat cheese crackers, roasted spiced chickpeas
T - tuna stir fry with leeks and tamari, half a pack of frozen grapes

So it was all pretty good, and I drank nearly my whole 3lr waters! I'm not going to lie - the thought did go through my head that I should just forget about healthy eating and start again next week. But I challenged that, and although I know it's going to be a long road, it will all be worth it. I have an event in two weeks and want to feel better about myself by then! So have decided that if I stick to my goals and not binge, I'll buy myself a new top for this event.

Today was pretty good food-wise as well
B - Rachels bio-live yogurt with buckwheat granola and berries
S - Orange, almonds
L - massive salad with sweet potato, quinoa, ham, tomatoes, beetroot, feta and lettuce
S - 2 handfuls of prunes

I didn't get to eat dinner as I was home from work really late, so just had a handful of prunes and came to bed. Feel like I'm definitely less bloated today, although I havn't drank much water really. Overall I'm happy though! I'm going back to the gym tomorrow for the first time in a while, quite looking forward to it. I feel so much better now I've started and committed to eating this way!

Nice menu, Yummy you really chose lots of healthy foods, I would personally drop prunes they have a tonne of sugar(naturally and added), sweet potato also.

Nice menu, Yummy you really chose lots of healthy foods, I would personally drop prunes they have a tonne of sugar(naturally and added), sweet potato also.

Thanks Mary - I'm trying to cut out refined sugars so working on that at the minute. I eat a lot of fruit so will try and cut back on that once the refined stuff is gone! I didn't know prunes had added sugars though, nightmare as I love them. Thanks for the heads up :)

Had a bit of a wobble today. I had been battling with thoughts of eating chocolate and binging all day - I'd had a hard, long day at work and times like that I would usually reach for the ready meals and galaxy. I was doing well and had really lovely breakfast and lunch, then when I got home I didn't want to eat a proper dinner as I was going to the gym at 8pm so didn't want to eat too much. I wasn't even very hungry, so just thought I'd have a snack. I had to nip to the shop on the way home (bit of a trigger) and ended up buying some Urban Fruit dried banana and a bag of Nakd bites. I ended up eating them all - they are just so good! I don't think they were the worst choices I could have made though - Urban fruit increadiants are just bananas, no sugar, preservatives etc literally just bananas. Then the Nakd bites just contain Dates, Cashews, Raisens, a bit of Cocoa and some Rice flour and natural flavourings. So although I shouldn't have had them all (portion control!) at least there is no refined sugars! That's what we're going for here! So my food today ended up:

B - big mushroom and leek omelette (2 egg 1 white - the second yolk fell in by accident lol) with a bit of feta and some homemade sweet chilli sauce (containing white wine vinegar, arrowroot flour, chills and honey)
S - Almonds
L - Quinoa salad with beetroot, ham, pepper and tomatoes
T - Bag of Urban Fruit bananas, bag of Nakd bits, one energy ball

I also made Banana Bite energy balls today. They are made with dates, almonds, bananas, maca powder, flaxseed and a bit of cinnamon. They are really nice, and I plan on taking them to work with me to fight that afternoon slump! I also might dip some of them in dark chocolate for a bit of a treat. So all in all, today was OK, could have gone better but there was NO refined sugar and that's my number 1 goal!

I went to the gym today, which was good. I don't feel like I pushed myself too hard though, so when I next go on Friday I'm going to try and really push myself. Also need to drink lots more water, as only got about 2l in today.

I would say you had a huge victory yesterday rather than a wobble. The fact that you could have given in to your chocolate binge craving but didn't is a huge achievement and should tell yourself that you have tons of will power and self control! Remember that next time!

Alternatively if you do crave another chocolate binge, do you think you could have just one bar instead of a binge? That would also be a significant personal victory!

Don't worry about overdoing the healthy snacks ( personally I don't think you did) focus on the positive!! Well done!! X

I would say you had a huge victory yesterday rather than a wobble. The fact that you could have given in to your chocolate binge craving but didn't is a huge achievement and should tell yourself that you have tons of will power and self control! Remember that next time!

Alternatively if you do crave another chocolate binge, do you think you could have just one bar instead of a binge? That would also be a significant personal victory!

Don't worry about overdoing the healthy snacks ( personally I don't think you did) focus on the positive!! Well done!! X

Thanks so much Els! You are totally right - I did have a good day. I need to remember that I don't have to be perfect to be good! I would love to just be able to have one chocolate bar, but really don't trust myself, not at this stage anyway. And from lots of health blogs etc I have read, it seems that once you properly embrace the 'clean' way of living, you don't get any/many cravings at all. I know that's what I was like when I first started this, I didn't crave or even want chocolate after about 2 weeks. So hopefully I'll get this first week out of the way and start craving celery or something :p

Today was a big success!

B - Biolive yogurt with buckwheat granola and berries, 1 energy bite
L (not a proper lunch per say, more like snacks throughout a very busy day) - Nairns wholewheat cheese crackers, an apple, 2 dark rye ryvita with half an avocado spread, a homemade porridge/granola bar, 3 energy bites
D - Sweet potato, spinach and bean curry with sugar snap peas

I'm really happy with today. I've eaten to fuel my body, when it needs it, and noooooo refined sugars! The energy bite are so nice but quite addictive, so I'm going to try and limit myself to two a day as that seems to be enough for a nice snack/boost. Again, I need to drink a lot more water (not sure if I made it to 2l today :() but apart from that I'm feeling good :)

Another good day :) this all seems to be falling into place at the minute.

B - Scrambled eggs (1 egg 2 whites) with chives and kale with some parmesan
S - Orange, apple
L - Quinoa salad with lettuce, tomatoes, beetroot, pomegranate seeds and celery
S - Porridge bar, 2 dark chocolate covered energy bites
D - (again not really a proper dinner as I went to the gym) 3 squares of dark chocolate, kale & parmesan, some strawberries and frozen grapes

So yeh really happy with today :) I just feel better in myself. And I hope this sticks! I'm in my final month or so of uni going to be prone to quite a lot of stress, but I think organisation will be the key! As long as I 1)have proper breakfast, 2) take a proper lunch to uni with me and 3) take lots of nice-not-boring snacks, I'll be fine. And keep up with the gym as much as possible. And water! I drank my target of 3l today which is great as I think it's the first time I've ever done it! Plus had a cup of tea without any sugar/sweetner - again, another success, as I love a sugary tea. But the willpower is strong today! I wish I could bottle this feeling and use it whenever I'm struggling.. but I'd be a millionaire if I could do that I suppose!

Just wanted to say thank you for this website, and all the lovely people on it who are so supporting. It really really makes a difference :)

You're doing really well - your food sounds lovely! The longer you stick to it the less likely you are to binge! I'm finding that I'm planning nights out meticulously beforehand then I just relax more when I'm actually there! You may also find tea with sugar too sweet soon!!

You're doing really well - your food sounds lovely! The longer you stick to it the less likely you are to binge! I'm finding that I'm planning nights out meticulously beforehand then I just relax more when I'm actually there! You may also find tea with sugar too sweet soon!!

Thanks Els! I totally agree - I think the longer you go, the easier it gets. It's only been 5 days but already I'm finding it easier to say no to cravings/temptations. I also agree with planning nights out, I think as long as I know exactly what I'm doing and keep busy they should be fine. Studying loads for my finals in uni at the minute though so no nights out for a while! Good for the weight loss hehe.

Back