Aversion To Carbs But...

I appreciate this has very probably been discussed to near death but I'm having problems coming to a reasonable decision! I have had no carbs drummed in to me for years and when I cut them out I lose weight very easily so original plan is perfect for me HOWEVER cutting out the carbs results in dreadful stomach upset (constipation :wave_cry:!!) for me if sustained. One would think that having a day a week of green would remedy the problem and I think this would help massively BUT as I have PCOS and a real aversion to carbs (psychologically) I am worried that the one day a week of carbs will reduce my weight loss. So can people give me some feedback plleeeeeasseeee :) who here mixes totally between the two? Who does majority red and occasional green? Help!

how about you eat your carbs at lunch time instead of dinner time... so you have time to excersise after? even if its just housework? you really don't need to with slimming world but after being told one thing for soo long can be hard to get used to 'eat as much pasta as you like' LOL....

i'm still not comfortable eating carbs late in day... as from what i've been told on other diets, but i have done and hasn't ruined my weight loss :)

Traditionally I've been a red girl but for the last couple of weeks have done more green days than normal and I lost 1.5 pounds last week! I sts last night, but that's another story.....

My advice would be to give it a go and see how you feel, I think some of us get 'scared' of carbs when really there's no need xxxx

I've done all plans and I lose exactly the same on them. I've done all red weeks and lost about 1.5lbs and all green with the same loss. EE is The most convenient for me so Thats what I do mostly. If you're uncomfortable with carbs there's no need to force in a green day. You can get a lot of fibre from so many other food sources like veggies! Broccoli, spinach, beetroot, butternut squash, raspberries, pears and mangoes are especially effective in, ahem, moving things along :D
If that fails, a cup of liquorice tea will definitely send you runningto the loo!

If you do decide to try green days you don't necessarily have to load up on carb heavy foods. Focus on things like sweet potatoes, beans (e.g. Chickpea curries, homemade hummus, veggie cassoulet, etc) and eggs! So you don't feel deprived you can have a starchy lunch and something like an omelette and superfree veg for dinner.

It's unfortunate that carbs have gotten such a stigma attached to them but I can honestly say that as long as you're following the SW principles closely, eating a balance of all food groups and doing some light exercise everyday you can't not lose weight. Good luck!

You could have 198grms of new potatoes with skin or 227grms baked potatoe (inc skin) for a hexb. That way your having some carbs but not too much.;)

This was going to be my suggestion too :)

I tend to have new pots with evening meal on my red days - still get my carbs that way :)

Hi, I have PCOS and I'm doing extra easy.

The only "refined" carb I've had has been the odd wholemeal roll, apart from that my carbs are my starchy veggies in the form of potatoes and parsnips.

I can't say its affected my weigh in, as its my first week and so far the scales are looking good.

All your free fruit and veg contain MEGA carbs, as do Mullers (percentage sugar wise very high) but they are still something you would have free on SW, so you're getting loads of carbs there.

Are you worried about carb intake, and it affecting the insulin response/insulin resistance associated with PCOS or are you just worried about ALL carbs?

If all carbs - then the minute you eat fruit and mullers, then thats out the window :)
If sugar - natural sugars in fruits, that too is out the window
If its the wheat/flour based carbs you are worried about like Pasta and breads etc, then try to go for wholegrain varieties, as more likely to have a more stable effect on your blood sugar.

If you are sticking to original plan - you still eat UNLIMITED fruit and veggies, which in addition to your healthy extras (a high fibre cereal) should provide enough fibre for you to go along on.

Thanks everyone! I can't explain it properly but I just don't get on with crabs at all though these tend to be more starchy carbs as opposed to 'natural fruit sugar' ones (if that makes any sense at all!). What I can't fathom is this - if I have six red days and one green will that affect my weight loss? In the past when I have done strict no carbs (no fruit even) the weight falls off me at about 5lb a week, when I introduce a fat free Muller a day and a couple of apples I slow down to 2lb a week BUT find it healthier and very likely more sustainable so am more likely to 'last'! I was just wandering whether anyone else has one green day a week and how their weight loss goes with that? I have spent so many years dieting and now have bad back, bad hip etc and NEED desperately for this to work for me - I've come to the conclusion that it is better to lose 2lb a week and stick with it than 5lb a week blast then give up after a month!

Firstly, congratulations on your weight loss so far :)

As far as the carbs go, the other lovely ladies have already given some great advice :)

But in terms of the tummy issues...I'm really prone to getting a bit constipated, regardless of what I'm eating, which makes me feel nauseous and unwell. I've been taking, for the last couple of weeks, an Aloe Vera oil tablet a day and it has made a MASSIVE difference. It keeps things moving along in a happy way :). Might be worth a try?

Sally have you tried Lactulose direct over the counter from any chemist and really cheap and high recommended? My daughter is a really terrible fussy eater and it really does work. i know it's not very dietie but my youngest has terrible constipation and I give her a teaspoon most night's and it really works, but you need to have it every night without fail otherwise you can get bunged up a bit again and it stops working Also I've been told for her to avoid too many bananas.

I've had great results in the past with Aloe Vera juice! The best 'diet' ever was an anti-Candida one - amazing results BUT sooooooo strict!!! Mine is more a feeling of constipationtrapped wind than ACTUAL constipation - I thought it was associated with endometriosis but it seems not. Carbs aggravate it immensely BUT maintaining red days all the time is too expensive and I also miss sweet potato and rice waaaaaaaay too much :D

Lactulose is like liquid gold - incredible stuff but you do need to take it daily no matter what! However it gives me HORRIFIC stomach gripes so I much prefer Movicol - now that stuff IS bleedin' brilliant and no side effects whatsoever :) (unless you take too much :eek:)

have you tried couscous to see if it aggravate your problem? Because it is really versatile on green days, you don't really needs to have potatoes and rice.

I've would miss rice too much too, that's why 99% of the time I do green.

Lactulose is like liquid gold - incredible stuff but you do need to take it daily no matter what! However it gives me HORRIFIC stomach gripes so I much prefer Movicol - now that stuff IS bleedin' brilliant and no side effects whatsoever :) (unless you take too much :eek:)

I'll have to try this if Lactulose stops working and my daughter's eating gets even worse (which thank god it isn't at the moment!)

I adore couscous but I tend to have the Ainsley HArriot flavoured ones and haven't checked if they're free or not? They're like garlic mushroom or mediterrenean vegetable type things?

I wouldnt recommend cutting carbs out of your diet completely, that can actually be quite unhealthy, we do need some carbs, just as much as we need protein and calcium and fibre etc.

I have PCOS and what I do is incorporate low GI choices into my meals, that means avoiding the white carbs where you can, but wholewheat pastas and rices (long grain) are fine. It also means avoiding potatoes, although new ones in their skins are okay, as are sweet potatoes.

Cous cous actually has a high GI, even wholewheat couscous has a medium GI, so I don't tend to have it anymore, I have switched to bulgar wheat instead which is lovely.

I would definately recommend checking out Rick Gallops - Low GI book.

I have noticed that since I made the little changes to my diet, the horrible bloating I used to experience happens much less now.

I wouldnt recommend cutting carbs out of your diet completely, that can actually be quite unhealthy, we do need some carbs, just as much as we need protein and calcium and fibre etc.

I have PCOS and what I do is incorporate low GI choices into my meals, that means avoiding the white carbs where you can, but wholewheat pastas and rices (long grain) are fine. It also means avoiding potatoes, although new ones in their skins are okay, as are sweet potatoes.

Cous cous actually has a high GI, even wholewheat couscous has a medium GI, so I don't tend to have it anymore, I have switched to bulgar wheat instead which is lovely.

I would definately recommend checking out Rick Gallops - Low GI book.

I have noticed that since I made the little changes to my diet, the horrible bloating I used to experience happens much less now.

Once I spent five months not touching ANY carbs whatsoever - I lost five stone (fab!) but I have never been so ill in my life. I actually ended up in hospital and was told my bowel had stopped working because I hadn't been taking in carbs. The second I cut them out totally I get ill so SW is good because I can have fruit which helps a lot. I find cutting out bread, sugar and mushrooms helps massively with the bloating though it is damn hard maintaining that.

So you think sticking to low GI carbs is OK? To be honest, I will soon be giving up a very well paid job to do something totally different at around £400 a month less coming in and a disabled partner to support also so maintaining red days is going to be nigh on impossible financially :(

Once I spent five months not touching ANY carbs whatsoever - I lost five stone (fab!) but I have never been so ill in my life. I actually ended up in hospital and was told my bowel had stopped working because I hadn't been taking in carbs. The second I cut them out totally I get ill so SW is good because I can have fruit which helps a lot. I find cutting out bread, sugar and mushrooms helps massively with the bloating though it is damn hard maintaining that.

So you think sticking to low GI carbs is OK? To be honest, I will soon be giving up a very well paid job to do something totally different at around £400 a month less coming in and a disabled partner to support also so maintaining red days is going to be nigh on impossible financially :(

Yep definately - low GI is recommended for women with PCOS anyway so it will definately be beneficial to you. As I mentioned earlier I def recommend Rick Gallops book, but you can just as easily find Low GI foods lists online and the great this is, most of SW worlds extra easy free foods are Low GI anyway, the only changes you really need to make, are switching to whole wheat pasta and rices, and avoiding potatoes (have sweet or new potatoes in skins instead, also avoid starchy veg as they are high GI too), it doesnt mean you can't ever have them, but make sure the majority of the time your meals are low GI will make a difference.

Yep definately - low GI is recommended for women with PCOS anyway so it will definately be beneficial to you. As I mentioned earlier I def recommend Rick Gallops book, but you can just as easily find Low GI foods lists online and the great this is, most of SW worlds extra easy free foods are Low GI anyway, the only changes you really need to make, are switching to whole wheat pasta and rices, and avoiding potatoes (have sweet or new potatoes in skins instead, also avoid starchy veg as they are high GI too), it doesnt mean you can't ever have them, but make sure the majority of the time your meals are low GI will make a difference.

I will do some research and give it a whizz! So you've found low GI foods help with the bloating? Mine is AWFUL, at times so bad I cry :(

Back