Avoiding Syns all week to drink at the weekend ?

acidstarz

Hi guys,
I've been reading quite a bit here that you should try and have a couple of Syns a days and that cutting them out completely is a no-go. I avoid all syns (and usually healthy extras) monday - friday so I can drink and eat what I want at the weekend. I am doing the right thing or will a couple of Syns during the week keep me losing weight ? what do you think is best ?

Thanks , Maria

You are not doing the right thing in SW terms. Healthy extras are there to give you vital calcium & fibre which 'eating what you want at the weekend' will not replace.

The plan says have between 5 & 15 syns a day. If you have none you are not following the plan & are likely binging at the weekend. SW is supposed to be a long term change in your diet - not something you just follow during the week. There is no reason why you can't have 5 syns a day, keep the rest for the weekend if you want, & follow plan 7 days a week. Its entirely possible to eat out on plan, without eating a load of syns so not really sure why you feel the need to go completely off plan at the weekend. One meal maybe, but why all of them?

Everyone is so different, I would generally say do what works best for you to keep you sticking to plan in the long run.

However, I personally found when I was at class, if I saved my syns to have a drink at the weekend, I would never lose even if I was within my syns. I went to class on a Tuesday night tho and I did wonder if I may have gotten away with it more if my class was on a Thursday.

Guess what Im trying to say is if youre still losing, do it, but it didnt work for me.xx

Mine is on a thursday :p I've been doing it since I started. It's not to go off plan completely but to drink enough rum to get me drunk on friday and saturday night. It has worked so far but was just wondering if anyone else does this and if it will only work for a while. PLus should I have 5 syns a day even with drinking so much at the weekend ?

acidstarz said:
I'm 21, all my friends go out every friday and saturday, I don't want to stop drinking.

You don't have to stop drinking hun- a vodka shot is 2.5 syns. If you are using 105 syns on drinking at the weekend thats 42 shots - it doesn't matter how you cut it thats just plain bad for your liver.

Well I guess it comes down to priorities, really. You can continue to drink every friday and saturday night, and perhaps not lose weight, or you could cut back and drink on friday OR saturday night, and perhaps lose some. Then again you could cut it out for a little while and see how that goes.

Either way, at the end of the day, you're the one who controls this diet. You're the one who will live with the choices you make, so it really is up to you.

I went out last night and had five pints of bud... over 40 syns, and to be honest with you, today I've decided I'm not going to drink again until I've met my 10% target, and then I'll allow myself a night out as a celebration.

But then again, I'm 28 years old with three kids, and all my friends are in the same boat, so we don't go out all that much anymore, anyway.

Do whatever feels right to you. But if you want to lose the weight, you need to stop drinking so much. Unless you're still losing while you're drinking two nights at the weekend, and if so... well... yay.

Good luck!

acidstarz, how much weight have you lost?

Im 23 and i have stopped drinking until im at target!! If i drink at all i dont loose. Its still fun going out cos i just laugh at everyone drunk! Saving syns is bad and not the sw way.

I'm 21, all my friends go out every friday and saturday, I don't want to stop drinking.

You dont have to stop drinking, just drink within your syns, which may mean drinking differently or slightly less.

Tbh there are somethings I have had to accept I need to give up/cut down to be the weight I wanna be. This includes my fast food addiction, as well as booze. Its all about being realistic and accepting i cant have it all. If youre losing weight and are happy with the rate its coming off then stick with it. But if youre not happy with how its coming off, then do have a look at what you drink.

A lot of the people in my class (including my consultant) do the syn saving thing for booze at the weekends often and they're losing okay on it - my consultant's take is that it's not the reccomended way to work the plan but if it works and means you keep to it, then it's okay.

That said, that amount of booze in one go absolutely counts as binge drinking and is really not good for you, so do have a think about what you're doing to your liver, skin, stomach, brain, etc, etc.

Avoiding the Healthy Extras is bad. You need that calcium - you're still building bone right now and you need it even more with the drinking you're doing because that damages it. You don't want to be hunched over with a degenerating spine and weak bones by the time you're 50! And fibre is neccessary for any healthy diet to avoid digestive tract illness up to and including cancer (which, again, because of your drinking, you're putting yourself at further risk from).

I've been there - I was a student until I was 25 and I definitely made the most of it - so I get that drinking more than is ideal is part of life sometimes, but you should be looking at mitigating your risks at the very least.

Regardless of what the plan recommends what you are doing is not healthy. Binge drinking has serious health implications so I think that is something you need to address. I'm not saying dont have a drink but is a drink really worth depriving yourself of syns all week??

As for the healthy extras they are there for a reason & should be eaten everyday not done without through the week so you can 'eat what you like' at weekends. Maybe try allowing yourself a few extra syns at the weekend so you dont feel as restricted but still more under control.

Last time I was on SW, I saved all my syns for a Friday and Saturday night - and used them all on 3/4 bottles of red wine. Completely stayed clear of beer for 3 months until my birthday - but once having beer on my birthday that was my collapse and all the good work was eventually undone.
Now I am back on SW - and going to go for the same tactic of saving syns for the weekend.
However, I do not skip HEA and HEB - they are important to a rounded diet, and not having them will slow your weight loss I am sure - know if I skip them I do not lose as much.

I was only avoiding HEs to speed weight loss. So I'm better just having them ? That's something I won't be complaining about !! I'm a big milk and cheese lover so that's no problem, just need to find something suitable for the fibre one

I was only avoiding HEs to speed weight loss. So I'm better just having them ? That's something I won't be complaining about !! I'm a big milk and cheese lover so that's no problem, just need to find something suitable for the fibre one

Definitely have them. You don't get enough calcium otherwise, which is not good for your bones at any age, let alone at your age when you are still growing.

You also need the B choice for fibre - it helps keep your digestion working properly.

acidstarz said:

Hey Hun.

I've lost 42lb on SW and got about 7 to target (when I decide what target is!) I save asome syns for a drink on WI night and then a Friday and Saturday BUT I probably only have 3/4 doubles which is 15/20 syns a night which is great but gives me extra for weekly night time treats!

It works different for everyone so sew what works best.

I'm 22 and think soon it's time to cut back the booze lol

Xx

I am pretty sure avoidng HEs slows weightloss. I missed all my HEBs last week, mainly due to being unprepared and very busy. Stuck to everything else perfectly and lost less than I was expecting.
However, never miss my HEA as I like milk too much!

Back