Baby Engaging

sarahG31

New Mum :)
This may sound like a daft question but bear in mind I'm only on my first baby so never experienced this before!

When I saw my MW on friday she said the baby was upside down but on its side (so slowly turning round to front to back). Of course they just go by the average course of a first pregnancy and said ideally the baby's head should be engaging now.

Now from what I've read and understand about the feeling you get when it's engaging is like carrying a watermelon in your pelvis / between your legs. A couple of people I know who's in this position have said it feels like the baby's just going to 'fall out' (if only!), and one mentioned about feeling the baby's head grinding against her pelvis (sounds a bit painful).

Anyway, my question is once a baby's head engages, can it revert / pop back out again? I'm only measuring at 34 weeks despite being 36, so if it's a little smaller than average could it maybe be going in and out of engagement? Or once it engages does it generally stay there?

I ask because for example last night we popped out to mothercare. I was fine when we got there, was on my feet for about an hour, just wandering around a couple of shops, not fast walking or anything. By the time we were walking back to the car I felt like I had a 10 tonne weight in my pelvis, the water melon between the legs feeling. However, sat in the car for all of 5 minutes and then went into the supermarket and wandered around and felt totally fine again, as if the baby had moved back out into an easier position for me to carry.

I'm not worrying about getting the baby engaged as I know it can happen anytime from now right up until labour, but more just wondering if this is the feeling of it trying to engage.

Yeah baby will usually be engaged by now with a first and once it's in is unlikely to pop back out. Some babies (mostly on the second) don't engage until labour begins, and they can even turn during labour and birth. Baby could be fine and then turn back to back at any point! With my first, baby engaged around 30 weeks but i never had that melon feeling possible because of the spd pain just felt worse!

It's all been going well for you so far, don't worry he will stay down xxx

Thanks :) Yeah I'm not worried as I say, plenty of time! I think DH is more concerned! Was more just wondering what the heavy feeling was as it's like a gradual heaviness coming on but can instantly go. Guess it's just the way the baby's sitting or shuffles about at times and hit's a pressure point!

I'm sure he'll drop in once he's ready!

Hiya, not long to go hope you are well.

Thanks, yeah not long and really hope it doesn't go over (it's a long shot I know!) :) Hope you're good and the little one's behaving herself for you!

Back