Back from fat camp... Put weight on!

Well I'm glad I listened to you all and didn't reach for the toast to carb binge as I weighed myself this morning and dun dun dun... Back to 17:5lbs again so I put on 8lbs in three days and then lost it again over night! Whatever's going on I'm just glad it's going back down! Phew what a relief :D as always thanks again for your support everyone!

WOOHOO!! So happy for you!!!! We told you so!!! You don't eat enough to put on 8lbs of fat!! :D

The gain is/was probably water. If you were SSing then you really shouldn't have been doing so much strenuous exercise. Not only are you taking-in way too few calories for that, you are also taking in too few carbs. We need glycogen to fuel our muscles and on Cambridge and other VLCDs carbs are vastly reduced compared to any 'normal', average daily intake. There are too few carbs in Cambridge to support the muscles through sustained, extreme exercise for one day, let alone five, so you were risking injury.

When the body is underfed and overworked (lol) it will burn as few calories as possible even when exercising. It will also cling to even more water. And since muscle weighs more than fat you may find that you weigh a bit more, or STS, whilst registering smaller measurements.

In this case I'd say the body was clinging onto extra fluid to hydrate you and to try protect your muscles from injury. The surplus will be gone before you know it!

And watch out - too much exercise coupled with too few calories/carbs can make you starving hungry! The body will 'turn-up' your appetite to compensate.

All the best with the rest of your Cambridge journey x

Thank you so much for these explanations! I never really understood the science behind VLCD and exercise. Do you know if daily moderate exercise is OK on 810 (step 2)? I think that Step 2 is not considered a VLCD anyway, but only a LCD... But just wanted to know what you thought?

hope it's off you now. it will most likely be water retention. you've worked your muscles hard they'll retain.

***** MUSLCE DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT!******

1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat weigh the same - 1lb! muscle takes up less space in your body and will give you a sleeker look. fat can swell up to 3 times it's own size therefore taking up more space in your body making clothes not fit as well.

e.g - 2 people can weigh the same.

1 - 5ft 6in female 13st does exercise and has great muscle tone and is a size 12
2 - 5ft 6in female 13st does no exercise and has a poor muscle tone and is a size 16!

female 2 has more body fat % where as female 1 is less body fat %

our bodies are are fantastic machines and do not necessarily need glycogen to feed our bodies. with a lack of carbs it turns to fat burning.

p.s fat burning is a harder process and takes our bodies longer to do. if it's any compensation when i go out running my fingers swell to the a right size... massive sausages. this is classic water retention.

Last edited:
p.s fat burning is a harder process and takes our bodies longer to do. if it's any compensation when i go out running my fingers swell to the a right size... massive sausages. this is classic water retention.

So that's normal then !!!! I thought I had a problem with blood circulation :eek:

Great things I love you! You totally like my encloypedia, my CDC had no clue what was happening to me so when I go for my WI I'm going to show her this thread as she told mr to go all Sherlock Holmes and do research Internet little did I know all it'd take was to come on here to find my answers! I had another cheeky step on the scales and they say 16:13!! I'm only just in the 16's but im in! I'd love to say I'd lost 1 stone 3lbs in 4 days but I know thanks to great things I know it's swelling/ water retention as it's now definitely all of me!!! :D

shazzy_shaz said:
Great things I love you! You totally like my encloypedia, my CDC had no clue what was happening to me so when I go for my WI I'm going to show her this thread as she told mr to go all Sherlock Holmes and do research Internet little did I know all it'd take was to come on here to find my answers! I had another cheeky step on the scales and they say 16:13!! I'm only just in the 16's but im in! I'd love to say I'd lost 1 stone 3lbs in 4 days but I know thanks to great things I know it's swelling/ water retention as it's now definitely all of me!!! :D

:) just love exercise. I run (training for 3rd half marathon right now), teach Zumba, Zumba gold, Zumbatomic can teach Zumba toning but don't)!

Back