Back from holiday and in need of a morale boost!

Snakes and ladders

Silver Member
Hello!

So I have just come back from a week in Berlin. Berlin is a seriously cool city, with lots of stuff to do. I was on a budget and couldn't afford to eat out properly every day, so I ended up having stuff like this for meals:

- 4 kebabs (they're actually really nice over there, not like the horrid manky ones you get here!)
- 2 sausages with chips
- mountains of toast with breakfast
- a little booze.

On the plus side, I did a lot of walking most days. Still, I can see from my clothes and circumference that I have put some of my weight back on (though I haven't dared venture near the scales yet), so I am NOT PLEASED.

Now I am sitting in front of my laptop trying to convince myself I should go running. But I am really not in the mood for it.

You know how when you've broken your diet for a week or so it is SO DIFFICULT to get back into it? How it's so much easier just to say: "Oh well, sod it, bring on the carbs!"?

Help please!

SL xxx

Weigh yourself, it may not be as bad as you think AND much of the gain is likely to be water weight from extra carbs and sodium...that is also likely to come off pretty fast with plenty of fluids and how good will it feel to see the scales going down?

Thanks catlover!

I will weigh myself in the morning...and you are right, my meals have been very salty and carby...

I feel better already, thanks :)

Oh and I found a gym that does a free weeks membership near me - might give that a go. Running all the time can get so boring.

SL

*Update* (not that it's particularly interesting, but I find it helpful to keep a log).

Well, I dragged myself out for a run and did 6 miles in 62 minutes! And there were lots of steep hills! :eek:

Very pleased with this achievement. It just goes to show that the hardest part is getting back on the wagon, it's fine once you're on it. Plus, obviously all the extra food has provided me with plenty of extra energy for exercise, which makes running much easier.

...and I just had a shake for breakfast and lunch, and I will cook a very healthy dinner tonight. No doner kebabs or sausages.

(Actually, to be honest, I didn't even enjoy the last sausage anymore - I was just eating it because my OH was, and because it was convenient. I am now looking forward to being healthy again).

It was good to realise that fatty actually isn't the thing I always crave: when I couldn't have healthy food (veg, lean meat) because it wasn't available/affordable, I wished for it! So when we are on a diet, maybe we only crave unhealthy food because we feel we "can't" have it?

"Food for thought"....(oh dear!)

SL

There you go! You just need to do it to realise it isn't as bad as it seems. I'm the same with the gym. Didn't go for nearly a week. Kept making excuses. Then got there and thought this really isn't that bad and I feel better for doing it too. Keep going :)

Thanks Bostik!

You are so right, it's all about getting started. I know the feeling about making excuses all the time!

"ooooh, but it's my time of the month, so I'm allowed to be lenient with myself".

"hm, I have a slight twinge in my ankle, so it's probably a terrible idea to exercise - I might do permanent damage and be crippled for the rest of my life".

"oh dear, if I go running I will have to wash my hair, and then dry it, and then I'll be late to meet my friend".

"I have new glasses that are making me feel a bit dizzy, I may slip and fall, and die, so I'd better stay in and read". (This is my latest excuse, it's particularly bad, isn't it? Nearly got me though!)

"I had a good diet day yesterday, so as a reward I can ignore the gym."

"It's really unhealthy to exercise too much". (Not that this would EVER be a problem for me, lol!)

"My favourite sports shorts are in the wash, and the other ones don't have a pocket, so I won't be able to listen to music, so I'd better wait until they're washed and dried tomorrow/day after".

"My mp3 player isn't charged, so I'll get bored and won't find my stride...better stay in".

"I'm too busy!"

You know how it goes!

SL xxx

Back