Back in the room...again!

Thanks Tracy, I've had arthritis and knee pain for over ten years but also didn't get my butt into gear despite knowing that my weight was the cause of my problems - why do we keep pushing the self destruct button? How old were you when you had your knee replacement? I'm 61 in a couple of weeks. How did you find the recovery? I know quite a few people who have had the op and said it is life changing, but I'm afraid because it's got so bad before I had it fixed and I've got such poor muscle tone, ligaments etc that I won't see such a dramatic result. I know the one thing everyone emphasises is that you get out what you put into it in terms of doing the exercises etc.

Thanks for the good wishes xx

Hi again! I was 52 when I had mine replaced, so around 18 months ago. I'm still hopeful of a reasonable outcome in time, but it's been a long, painful road. I have no fitness at all, having suffered from ME for almost 30 years, so that's no doubt hampered my progress, as well as the fact that my other knee is shot too. I can tell now that my knee is stronger and more stable than it was before the op, but the pain is worse than it was, and I can't sit with it bent - I had to have my desk at work adapted so I can sit with it straight out on a leg rest! I've been told that's because they didn't replace my kneecap, and that's still arthritic, so I've been re-referred to look at options. So if you're given the option, get your kneecap replaced as well! But as you say, a lot of people do benefit from having it done. Have they given you the option of having a spinal anaesthetic? That's what I had, despite being absolutely adamant beforehand that I wanted a general! :) xx

Delighted you got a date for your op!

I hope you have a lovely sunny warm holiday in Prague...the weather is bound to be better than here:gen125:

Thank you for your good wishes, I had such a perfect few days. The weather was great and having the mobility scooter was the best decision I could have made, it gave me so much freedom to get around and not hold everyone else up. My new little granddaughter is beautiful and the most placid, happy baby I've ever known, mine certainly weren't like that! I didn't diet at all while I was away or even make sensible choices, but strangely I seem to get full much sooner and quite often didn't clear my plate which has never happened before! I did enough damage however to have put on a fair bit of weight (not actually going to admit how much even though some will be water weight/glycogen store :oops:) but have got back on the wagon straight away so hopefully not too much damage done.

It was hilarious yesterday, as I had to go to the hospital for my final ward check/validation before my op next Friday. Having been assured that I wouldn't be weighed again after the pre op assessment before we went to Prague, I'd thought "what the heck" and just eaten what I wanted. When we arrived yesterday the first thing the doctor said was "I'll just weigh you"....panic. Imagine having it called off now cos my BMI's over 35 again when I've been going for the sympathy vote all week :p. I immediately said "oh I had that done last Wednesday, it won't have changed". Luckily he left it so I got away with it. My friend who took me couldn't look at me for giggling, she said I looked mortified. Anyway, by this time next week I might be back from theatre with a bionic knee and a better quality of life to look forward to. In the meantime I just have to keep on keeping on. Although we've two celebration meals out this weekend so that's not going to be easy!

Hi again! I was 52 when I had mine replaced, so around 18 months ago. I'm still hopeful of a reasonable outcome in time, but it's been a long, painful road. I have no fitness at all, having suffered from ME for almost 30 years, so that's no doubt hampered my progress, as well as the fact that my other knee is shot too. I can tell now that my knee is stronger and more stable than it was before the op, but the pain is worse than it was, and I can't sit with it bent - I had to have my desk at work adapted so I can sit with it straight out on a leg rest! I've been told that's because they didn't replace my kneecap, and that's still arthritic, so I've been re-referred to look at options. So if you're given the option, get your kneecap replaced as well! But as you say, a lot of people do benefit from having it done. Have they given you the option of having a spinal anaesthetic? That's what I had, despite being absolutely adamant beforehand that I wanted a general! :) xx

Sorry Tracy that you've not had a good outcome from your knee replacement. My other one is shot too and will need replacing in the future. I'm worried that because I've been like this for so long (basically I should have had it sorted years ago and just sort of compensated for the pain by walking badly) that my muscles are not as strong as they should be and my ligaments are quite badly damaged too. I just have this weird penguin like gait that I don't even realise I'm doing till I see myself in a shop window or on video! Everyone who I know that has had the op says that the key is being really good about doing the exercises, which I will do. The spinal op here seems to be the norm. Initially I thought no way could I be awake through that, but having researched it the risks are so much less I'd be stupid not to. How did you find the spinal? I wondered how much you can feel? My friends who've had c-sections by epidural said they could not feel pain, but did feel sensations. Not sure I fancy feeling the vibration as the surgeon attacks my knee with a drill! Apparently I'll be offered sedation, but I think if I have to be awake I'd rather be properly awake and in control than zonked out. Or maybe a couple-of-glasses-of-wine level of relaxation might be good if they could tailor it like that! ;)

Aww I'm really happy to hear you've had a good time away. It sucks that you have a lot of work to catch up on now, but if anything, it'll keep you busy while you get back on track over the next week. It's a stroke of luck with the doctor forgetting to check up on the scales :p I hope your two meals out this weekend will be sensible, after all you're the master of your own destiny!

I know you can do it! It's just one week. I'll be thinking of you next Friday, I really hope everything goes well and to plan.... and don't forget your piece of coal! ;)

Thanks Minerva. It's more about finishing my current workload before I go off on sick leave next week than catching up, but it's hard to concentrate on work today, a combination of just being back from hols and getting distracted thinking of next week. Hence I'm lurking around here again! Yes, I must try to be sensible this weekend. My elder daughter's baby is due in two weeks and it's her birthday on the 16th, as well as mine on the 25th so we decided to go out for lunch on Sunday to celebrate everything before we both end up in hospital! I play for a pub quiz team in a local league (I knew all the nerdy trivia I've accumulated in my brain over the years would come in handy eventually :)) and we were supposed to be having our end of season meal next weekend but it's been moved forward so I can still go. I've been told to eat healthily next week to help me heal so will come off the VLCD and eat sensibly for a few days, but will have to be good after the op too to improve recovery and the life of the new joint. My aim is still to get another four stone off in the next few months, but I'm going to review exactly how to do that when I feel well enough down the line.

I'm sure my MIL will send a piece of coal home for me....just in case ;)

Sorry Tracy that you've not had a good outcome from your knee replacement. My other one is shot too and will need replacing in the future. I'm worried that because I've been like this for so long (basically I should have had it sorted years ago and just sort of compensated for the pain by walking badly) that my muscles are not as strong as they should be and my ligaments are quite badly damaged too. I just have this weird penguin like gait that I don't even realise I'm doing till I see myself in a shop window or on video! Everyone who I know that has had the op says that the key is being really good about doing the exercises, which I will do. The spinal op here seems to be the norm. Initially I thought no way could I be awake through that, but having researched it the risks are so much less I'd be stupid not to. How did you find the spinal? I wondered how much you can feel? My friends who've had c-sections by epidural said they could not feel pain, but did feel sensations. Not sure I fancy feeling the vibration as the surgeon attacks my knee with a drill! Apparently I'll be offered sedation, but I think if I have to be awake I'd rather be properly awake and in control than zonked out. Or maybe a couple-of-glasses-of-wine level of relaxation might be good if they could tailor it like that! ;)

Hiya! I'm glad you've had a lovely time. :) With the spinal, it's quite strange as you are pretty zonked on the sedation, but can still hear all the hammering and sawing going on. I definitely couldn't feel anything at all though. The anaesthetist told me to let him know if I wanted putting under, which I eventually did, quite near the end of the op. But it was fine, not distressing, just a bit surreal! I've actually been to see the consultant again today to discuss options, as I can't carry on as I am. As I don't want more surgery yet, I'm going to try the cortisone injections. I have to have it done in theatre under local anaesthetic, apparently, because I have the prosthetic, so I'll see how that goes. Ultimately I'll need a left knee replacement and the righ knee cap replacing, but would like to put that off until I'm closer to retirement. If I could just get back to the pre-op pain levels it would be a start, so fingers crossed!

I hope it all goes brilliantly for you next week - I'm sure you'll have a great outcome, most other people I know who've had it done seem to be much improved, it's just useless me that's worse off than I was before, lol. :D xx

Hiya! I'm glad you've had a lovely time. :) With the spinal, it's quite strange as you are pretty zonked on the sedation, but can still hear all the hammering and sawing going on. I definitely couldn't feel anything at all though. The anaesthetist told me to let him know if I wanted putting under, which I eventually did, quite near the end of the op. But it was fine, not distressing, just a bit surreal! I've actually been to see the consultant again today to discuss options, as I can't carry on as I am. As I don't want more surgery yet, I'm going to try the cortisone injections. I have to have it done in theatre under local anaesthetic, apparently, because I have the prosthetic, so I'll see how that goes. Ultimately I'll need a left knee replacement and the righ knee cap replacing, but would like to put that off until I'm closer to retirement. If I could just get back to the pre-op pain levels it would be a start, so fingers crossed!

I hope it all goes brilliantly for you next week - I'm sure you'll have a great outcome, most other people I know who've had it done seem to be much improved, it's just useless me that's worse off than I was before, lol. :D xx

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you didn't feel anything! Apparently I can take my ipod in so I'll be able to drown out the sound of the hammering and sawing hopefully! Why did you ask to be put under towards the end of the op, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad you didn't feel anything! Apparently I can take my ipod in so I'll be able to drown out the sound of the hammering and sawing hopefully! Why did you ask to be put under towards the end of the op, if you don't mind me asking?

It's difficult to remember, really, as it was all a bit of a blur! I think I was just getting a bit fed up of the noise and fancied going to sleep, lol. I remember asking him to do it, and him saying fine but we're nearly done anyway, then that was it until I came to in post-op. It was fine, really - the worst bit was the ice cold spray they put on my back just before they administered the spinal, because I hate being cold! Then I remember seeing my leg suspended up in the air in theatre and wondering what on earth it was doing up there, because I couldn't feel it at all! :D xx

It's difficult to remember, really, as it was all a bit of a blur! I think I was just getting a bit fed up of the noise and fancied going to sleep, lol. I remember asking him to do it, and him saying fine but we're nearly done anyway, then that was it until I came to in post-op. It was fine, really - the worst bit was the ice cold spray they put on my back just before they administered the spinal, because I hate being cold! Then I remember seeing my leg suspended up in the air in theatre and wondering what on earth it was doing up there, because I couldn't feel it at all! :D xx

That's ok then, I was just worried the spinal anaesthetic had worn off which is maybe my greatest fear :eek:

Weighed myself this morning and about 4lb of my holiday weight gain's come off already despite not being as good as I should have been-I'm fine through the day but it all goes a bit Pete Tong sometimes in the evenings, usually when I help myself to a bit of whatever forbidden stuff OH is snacking on. I think a lot of the weight gain is retained fluid as my ankles are huge, they always swell when I fly. Anyway, I had a large vodka with diet lemonade last night as OH was having a beer and I was so down - a combination of missing my son and Ruby and the fear of Friday. I know alcohol's never the answer, especially for fluid retention lol, but I enjoyed it and felt more relaxed so am not going to stress about it. I'm in this for the long haul so what the heck.

Out for dinner tonight and a pub pre op/pre imminent new grandchild/early birthday celebration lunch with the family tomorrow so it's all going to be about damage limitation. Fun though! :)

Well it's all gone a bit pear shaped the last couple of days, could have been worse but could have been a whole lot better. We went out for dinner on Saturday night and I had a starter and a main, I chose sensible options with veg not chips but did have a couple of glasses of wine. We met my family for lunch on Sunday, I avoided alcohol but apart from that really just enjoyed my food including having a pudding, so I really just wrote Sunday off. Neither OH nor I work on Mondays-he's a butcher and doesn't open his shop on Mondays, and I am lucky enough to basically choose which days I do as long as the work gets done, so Mondays are always our days for doing stuff together. I wanted to have a day just us two before I go into hospital, and as the weather was so nice we decided to just have a lazy day at home in the garden and a barbecue. OH brought some nice marinated meat home and I made some different salads and it was lovely just chilling out in the sun. Again it could have been worse but I did just basically eat what I wanted and had a couple of glasses of wine. It was bliss. I think at the moment I'm just so scared and focussed on Friday I just want to make the most of enjoying these few days before, although what's good is that I'm still not blowing the diet completely as I have done in the past and still largely choosing healthy options, and eating smaller portions. Apart from the evil but totally wonderful apple rhubarb and stem ginger crumble on Sunday. Oh my. :)

I'm glad you had a lovely weekend and a nice day off on Monday with the OH :) The weather was kind to us.
I know you're worried about Friday, but you're in good hands. It will be ok. It's good to keep being healthy as that keeps your positivity up too. I'll be thinking of you! It's a scary thing, but it's all for a good cause. Do you know how long the recovery will take?

Hi tickettyboo, thought I would come and say hi on your diary and wish you the best of luck for Friday!

At least you chose the healthier options!

Hi, thank you, the op went well thanks but yesterday was awful,so much more pain than I expected and every time I tried to stand I fainted. Had a better day today, managing to shuffle to the loo on a zimmer frame. Baby steps. The food in here is actually really nice, I'm eating everything I'm offered. Now is not the time to even think about a diet. It all seems like another world at the moment, in hospital the days revolve around their routines and trying to achieve even small milestones feels like running marathons.

Back