Back pain..

Purple Hugs

Loves weight.. training!
grrr have had niggling pains for about 9 years, but had a real problem with my back last year... it's flaired up over the last few days but today is at the point where I can't bear to bend/do anything. :( Hence a million posts on here.. heat pad on my back at the moment.

I'm wondering if the meal/soup at the end of the day is enough to take my tablets with? I have codine and 600mgs of ibuprofen but my CDC warned not to take Ibuprofen as hurts your tummy (which I know already)...

anyone any idea's? should I just take the codine and hope for the best?

Was hoping this wouldn't be an issue. :rolleyes: maybe I shouldn't have helped build that blooming snowman after all! lol

I know you can't take them on a empty stomach, so maybe you can take them after your shake/soup, if that doesnt work out, you might want to think about have a low carb meal for a few days until you get your pain management sorted out.

Hugs

Thanks :) Will try that later.. will wait for dinner time I think and just use external methods for now.
Fingers x'd it goes soon. :)

Coedine shouldn't be taken on an empty stomach either.

Hope you feel better soon PH *Hugs*

Thanks fraggle :) am on ss+ so am planning to combine my food and soup so it's a fair sized meal (as good as it can get).. ;) Fingers x'd..

Hi Purple :D
I'm on pain maintenance too. 400mg Tramadol & 5000mg Paracetamol (max doses a day). I’m waiting for spinal injections and possibly an operation the take away part of my disc so I totally understand your unbendyness! My doctor said codeine based tablets and Paracetamol together are fine taken with a shake.:cool:

You probably know anyway but with NSAID (non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs) I would be very careful. They block production of the enzyme that lines and protects your stomach causing acid damage. This usually results in an ulcerated stomach or upper intestines causing internal bleeding which can be fatal.

The last time I did Cambridge I was on NSAID Diclofenac, after 5 days every time I went for a bowel movement the pan was full of blood. And it wasn't piles! There was so much blood coming from my stomach it was bright red fresh blood. My doctor wanted me to go to A&E to have an emergency endoscopy:eek: but I was petrified so she ran some emergency bloods for Anaemia straight away and gave me a double dose of Proton pump blockers to reduce the acid. I had caught it in time and wasn't Anaemic but my liver function wasn't right. It had inflamed my liver to the point where it was over producing a chemical usually found in hardened alcoholics and I don't drink!:eek:

So I'm now banned from any NSAID including Ibuprofen and Asprin. But luckily I'm ok now!:D

Every doctor I have seen says it's ok to have Codeine, and Paracetamol is easy on the tum. Ask your quack though, don't want you to be struggling in pain:(
XxX

Thanks :) I have increased paracetomol and codeine seperately as can't take codeine and drive.. :rolleyes: Have avoided ibuprofen today - had stomach ache trouble in the past, so have gaviscon - won't be taking that so won't be taking the ibuprofen.

How alarming for you over the blood from your stomach!! :eek: must have been very scary. :( Really hope they get you in for an op soon.

My sister had a disc removed about 4 years ago now but she is almost in as much pain as before now. :(

I've been lucky recently that my pain hasn't been too bad hence my stupidity recently, but had real problems last summer.

You have my sympathy for the back pain. I had spinal injections in November, but the pain has been absolutely horrendous and constant. My Dr has just prescribed Gabapentin alongside the tramadol, diazepam and the diclofenac I am already taking. Unfortunately, she is completely against me doing CD in any way shape or form whilst handling all this medication. I hope your back eases for you soon.

Oh dear, doesn't sound like the treatments work too well. Purple I really feel for your sister too, I'd never had back trouble until I had an accident at work in Nov 07 and slipped a disc. I find it quite frightening as well as very painful:(

DQ how were the injections? I'm literally pooping myself with fear as my surgeon said he won't know if it's in the right place until it hurts! Did it help at all? 2 out of 3 successes didn't sound that great to me:rolleyes:

DQ how were the injections? I'm literally pooping myself with fear as my surgeon said he won't know if it's in the right place until it hurts! Did it help at all? 2 out of 3 successes didn't sound that great to me:rolleyes:

I had sedation cos I am cr@p with needles :eek: TBH because of the sedation I just have a blurred memory of discomfort more than anything. Unfortunately for me, it took me 3 weeks to recover from them (3 children and an ex who wouldn't help :mad: ) and they have made no difference whatsoever :(

I think spinal fusion is under discussion, but because of my weight I think it's a no-no. So rock and hard place - can't do CD because of all the drugs, etc and probably can't have the op because of the weight :sigh: And I know the success rate of spinal fusion isn't high either - tis unendingly frustrating!

DQ would you be allowed to do slimfast? I did it for a week before starting CD (not long I know) but saw good results and used it like CD basically (with a small meal of course).

Might be an do-able if you pretend it's CD in your head! ;) No ketosis though so should shut the dr's up.

Lady H - really hope you are the 2 out of 3 when it comes to the injections. ((Hugs))

I don't think my GP would agree to CD.. just an impression I get, so am hoping beyond all hope I don't have to go to her about this.. don't get me wrong she's great but has point blank refused me help with my dieting and said 'exercise and sensible eating'.. yeah right.. have known that for the last 21 years!! All this and she banned me from riding which WAS my exercise!! (now swim and do karate).

Have been having foot trouble (arch of foot hurting and tendons inflamed) Dr thinks this could be related to my back... so all sounding damning when you think I want to ride my horse this year or next at the latest!! :(

I'm not down in the dumps about all this, it just bugs me! lol hoping weight loss really helps with my back / foot.

DQ would you be allowed to do slimfast? I did it for a week before starting CD (not long I know) but saw good results and used it like CD basically (with a small meal of course).

Nope, not a chance. She is an incredibly supportive Dr (I originally lost just under 7 stone with CD and she cheered me on all the way), but with the amount of tablets I am on, she has told me (and been proven right unfortunately :eek: ) that my body can't cope without food. I tried it and I suffered for it :(

Have been having foot trouble (arch of foot hurting and tendons inflamed) Dr thinks this could be related to my back... so all sounding damning when you think I want to ride my horse this year or next at the latest!! :(

Ouch ouch ouch - I really hope this gets sorted for you soon :hug99:

Oh purpehugs I am feeling your pain. I am overweight and believe that this adds to my back pain as well as an old childhood injury. Hence my need to lose weight so I can avoid this distressing pain. It is so draining and really makes you depressed, then I would turn to food for comfort, vicous circle.
I hope you get the pain relief you require and without compromising your goals. Big hugs........should really be gentle hugs tonight for you :D

Hi DQ, so sorry that you can't do anything, really hope that you are able to get somewhere with your meds. It really is a vicious circle sometimes isn't it. :(

Thanks Busybee - I'm hoping like you that weight loss will help my back ultimately. I really really want to ride again, I miss it so much even if it's just in walk I'd be happy. :) We moved to Wales 18 months ago now and looked forward to hacking out on the beach, in the forest etc and I am gagging to get out again. :) I've yet to ride on the beach. I did ride after my back played up last year, but honestly the horse I was on was a bit loopy and finding myself on a spinning horse I couldn't control who went into a tarmac carpark really gave me a scare.. he'd 'dumped me' about 3 times before and I knew if he threw me then I'd have been headed to hospital for my back at the very least. :( I jumped off and have not mounted a horse since.. :(

So.. weight and riding are two of my life goals for the future.. no idea how long it'll take on the riding front, or if it will ever happen but have my fingers firmly crossed.

Really hope your pain eases with weight loss too :)

Back