Back to CC'ing!

Ended yesterday on around 1200 so I've managed to have a whole week 100%! Very happy with that as I think thats my first time ever!

Gonna try and have another 100% week but also add in more exercise as I've only been to the gym once this week!

How is everyone else getting on? xxx

Today's menu:

Breakfast:
Branflakes and skimmed milk (160)
Cup of tea with sweeteners (20)

Lunch:
Chicken broth soup (63)
Multi seed roll (150)

Snack:
Ryvita minis (103)

Dinner:
2 chicken drumsticks (270)
Piri piri marinade (58)
Light choices creamy Coleslaw (110)
Corn on the cob (166)

Snack:
WW chocolate mouse (106)

Total: 1206

xxx

Just got back from my last personal training session before xmas (having a break to save some money!)

OMG it was hard!! He was actually gonna send me home half way through as I started to feel majorly sick and had gone really pale with white lips!! Had a couple of sips of protein shake and felt abit better though so I carried on.

I managed to deadlift 47kg today!! Can't believe it! I could only mange 10kg when I started at the end of August! Soo happy with that in less than 3 months, and I've not been going to the gym by myself very often at all!

Really motivated to start going to the gym by myself much more often, although I hurt my back abit today so I'll have to see how it feels tomorrow!

My trainer has warned me not to try and get to goal just by calorie counting and to make sure I do plenty of exercise too. Plus he wants me to take on more protein to make sure I don't lose lean muscle mass. So I think I'm gonna allow myself an extra 100 cals a day for a protein shake. If my weight loss slows then I'll reduce it back down but keep the protein shake in!

Anyway, haven't got a menu yet for today so I'll have to update later but I'm planning on it being pretty much the same as usual.

Hope you are all having a good weekend!! xxx

Can I ask what protein shake you use? I've been looking at this stuff for ages but I don't have the foggiest idea what I am looking at. I would like to drink something that is going to support muscle growth and fat loss... I would also like it if it didn't taste like bum!!!

What do you recommend? x

Hey Lindsey!

I've tried a few:

First of all I was using Reflex instant whey (chocolate). Its got no added carbs so was just a protein shake, so really you should have it with a banana or something straight after a work out to replenish your glycogen stores. Each serving was around 25g and had around 20g protein and was about 95 cals (with water). It tasted quite nice actually, esp when mixed with skimmed milk!

The one I'm using at the moment was recommended by my trainer as it's the one he uses. Its called Nutrisport MRP 60:30. It's actually a meal replacement shake but I just use as a protein shake. Its 60% protein and 30% carbs and contains both whey protein and casein. The serving size is supposed to be 3 heaped scoops which is 80g but i just have one level one which is about 25g. For 25g your looking at around 76 cals, 15g protein and 7 or 8g of carbs. However it tastes absolutely rank! The reason why he recommends it though is because it does the job and its mega cheap! I just use as little water with it as possible and chug it down!

Apparently the more expensive ones will taste better as they have more added sugar etc but at the end of the day they all get the job done. I wouldn't chose maximuscle if I were you because I think its ridiculously over priced.

One more thing - whey protein is great for giving you an instant hit of protein whereas casein protein is digested and released slower, so depending on what you are after you may want whey only or a mixture of both.

Protein shakes will definitely help repair and "feed" muscles after a workout so they will be great at helping to build lean muscle mass. Don't worry that you'll end up looking like the hulk - you'll never end up with big bulging muscles unless you eat loads and loads of calories, weight train for an hour a day, 5 days a week, and hit the protein shakes big time. Also as you are female its alot harder to build big muscles. I still dont really have any and I've been weight training and having protein shakes for a while. I'd try and stay clear of ones that look like they have alot of creatine in them. My trainer says that in small amounts its fine but if you consume loads of it then your muscles retain water (hence its good for guys in the gym looking to add bulk because it makes muscles appear bigger)

As for aiding fat loss I wouldn't worry about trying to take any supplements or fat burners for that because as long as you are reducing calories, exercising and building lean muscle mass then you'll be fine. Also, I really don't think any of them make the slightest bit of difference - i think they are all just a gimmick but I could be being cynical!

Sorry for the long post! Hope that helps a little and let me know if you have any questions! xxx

Well done on our 1st week's weight loss, that's so great!! Your menus sound fab, drooling a bit now he he!! Well done on the exercise too, that's one thing I want to improve on, I just do lots of walking (and a bit of running when I'm late taking DS to school he he!!)xx

Hey Rumbletummy, thanks very much! I always think my menu sounds quite boring because there isn't much junk in it - but i'm trying to eat as healthy as possible!

Walking is great for exercise. If I didnt go to the gym I wouldnt get any exercise at all! I am gonna try and do it alot more often. Saying that, my lower back is killing me tonight! I've had a hot water bottle on it and ive had a hot bath to try and ease it off but im pretty sure its gonna be sore for the next couple of days! So i'm gonna wait till its better before training again!

Todays menu:

Breakfast:
Banana (100) and post workout protein shake (80)

Lunch:
Jerk sweet potato soup (184)
Multi seed roll (150)

Snack:
Banana (100)
1/2 cup of tea (10)

Total so far: 624

I have no idea what to make for dinner but I think I might have a light cider later on (100)

xxx

I used to go to the gym about 8 years ago with my brother and I remember that I got to the point where not one part of me wobbled!! Now I do 20 mins walking a day taking DS to school, then twice a week I walk to and from my mums which is 1hr in total (so 2hrs a week). I have noticed that my legs have toned up a bit but it's the mummy tummy which I really want to tone up!!
I really like your food diary, I've just started cooking so it's great for ideas! At the moment it's all curry, stews, bolognese, chillis etc... my friend says she's going to do baking with me but I don't think that's a very good idea lol!!
Enjoy your cider xx

Wow, I'd love to get to that point! But I'm about 30% body fat at the mo so I'd have to drop down by quite alot! How often did you go to the gym and what did you do to get like that?

To be honest I really don't enjoy cooking that much but its so much easier to have control over what goes into your food if you do it yourself. Ive been off work too so I had the time to spend cooking but back to work now so you might be seeing alot of pasta dishes!! Im gonna try and keep it healthy and varied though!

I'm afraid I've had to drop the cider idea - had abit of a naughty dinner of pie, chips and peas (659) bringing my total for today to 1283 so no cals left for the cider! Will have to wait till next weekend!

Hope you have a good week hun and if you do decide to do the baking then maybe be a great friend and let her keep all the naughty things!!! xxx

Thanks so much for the advice and thanks for taking the time to explain it all to me. I'm going to pop into town tomorrow and see if I can get some stuff. I just really don't want to be eating into my muscle now that I am working so hard to develop it. Just fat to disappear please!!! x

No worries lindsey :) If you go into a health food shop you might get lucky and somebody there may be able to help you chose one. If in doubt I would recommed reflex as it is quite cheap, low in cals and had a good amount of protein in, plus it doesnt taste too bad either. My trainer recommends having quite afew protein shakes a day mind - if you like I can pm you a sort of timetable he has given me which details when and how much protein I should have?

As for today, its gone very well, having lots of naughty cravings though but I'm managing to resist so far!

Breakfast:

Snack:
Banana (100)
Tea (20)

Lunch:
Winter veg soup (163)

Snack:
WW yoghurt (49)
Ryvita minis (103)

Dinner:
Wholewheat spaghetti (270)
Meatballs (305)
Tomato sauce (89)

Total: 1259

There really isnt enough protein in there so I might start counting how many grams of protein im eating too.

Back still achey from yesterday so no gym today, but hoping to go tomorrow.

Very tired today so gonna try and stay awake for as long as possible and then have a good night's sleep!

xxx

No worries lindsey :) If you go into a health food shop you might get lucky and somebody there may be able to help you chose one. If in doubt I would recommed reflex as it is quite cheap, low in cals and had a good amount of protein in, plus it doesnt taste too bad either. My trainer recommends having quite afew protein shakes a day mind - if you like I can pm you a sort of timetable he has given me which details when and how much protein I should have?

Thank would be really helpful if you wouldn't mind. x

Got up at 6.30am this morning to go to the gym! Really shouldnt have though because its made my back alot worse and now I dont think im gonna be able to train until next week!! Will def rest it until it gets better!

Todays menu:

Breakfast:
Porridge and skimmed milk (159)

Snack:
Banana (100)
Highlights hot chocolate (40)

Lunch:
Tuna light lunch (247)
Highlights hot chocolate (40)

Snack:
Special K mini breaks (99)

Dinner:
Spinach and ricotta tortellini (est 400)
Tomato, mascapone and basil sauce (est 200)

Total: 1285

Last edited:
I got your PM, thanks so much for that... I don't think I'll be able to afford that much protein powder, but I am going to increase my in take and try to stick to time limits you detailed. x

I got mine from body shapers fitness .com and it was mega cheap - a massive 2.5 kg drum of it for under £25!! Will last all all year probably!!!

I hopped on the scales today for a cheeky mid week weigh in and it showed a gain?!?!?! I have no idea why as I have stuck to 1200 - 1300 cals all week, have been to the gym twice and have only had one naughty meal but kept within my cals! No junk or chocolate or anything! the only thing i can think of its that is totm but ive never really had a problem with that before. although, my stomach does seem to be abit bloated. ive started taking my pill again now so hopefully it will be gone by the weekend because i will be massively annoyed if ive gained when ive been so good!!!

xxx

Hi weigh yourself at the weekend maybe as our bodies does retain water on a daily basis.

But I'd say keep up the good work!!

Yesterday's menu:

Breakfast:
Tea (20)

Lunch:
Tea (20)
Cheese and caramalised onion sandwich (454)

Snack:
WW yoghurt (58)

Dinner:
Bacon (113)
Wholemeal pasta (270)
Cheese sauce (200)
Mushrooms (20)

Total: 1315

Scales still showing a gain :( xxx

Ok so it looks like gain may have gone - now i just need to work on getting a loss! Only got one more day till weigh in so im not too hopeful!!

Yesterday's menu:

Breakfast:
Branflakes with skimmed milk (160)

Snack:
Highlights hot choc (40)
2 satsumas and afew grapes (70)

Lunch:
Tuna light lunch (247)
Highlights hot choc (40)

Snack:
Christmas biscuit from greggs (est 200 to be on the safe side)

Dinner:
Breaded fish (350)
Peas (45)

Total: 1152

Its children in need today so i will be wearing my pjs to work!!
Also there will be a big bake sale so im allowing myself three items and will have them instead of my lunch. At least that way I wont feel left out!

Fingers crossed for even a slight loss tomorrow! xxx

OMG I am in so much pain!! My back is sooo sore! Thinking I may have to go to the doctors about it! Also thinking about cancelling my plans this weekend so I can rest it but I really dont want to! Will have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow because at the moment I am in agony!

Todays Menu:

Breakfast:

Snack:
Tea (20)

Lunch:
Mince pie (260)
2 small caramel shortbread things (100)
4 finger kit kat (235)
Highlights hot choc (40)

Snack:
Large banana (150)

Dinner:

Snack:
Ryvita minis (103)

Total: 1228

What have you done to your back... were you testing out an adventurous dance move? x

Back