Bad Week :(

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but 8-9 ltrs is too much in 24 hrs (sorry Doctor/Geek type moment :eek: )
You shouldn't need anymore than 6...

Hey Pixie - wondering if you can tell me. I've been trying to find out exactly how much water is too much and roughly how much water causes water intoxication. I just can't find anything definate on the net - the answers range from 4 litres to 14 litres!!

I'd usually advise my chaps to drink 6 litres if they can. I really don't know how much more water than that will cause the electrolites to be washed out......what does it depend on?

thanks,

sorry to pinch your thread tommee:drool: lol

xx

Looking at Wikipedia....it varies depending on a million things but considering we have no way to test the electrolytes in our bodies I don't know how we can know.

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the symptoms :

Initial symptoms typically include light-headedness, sometimes accompanied by nausea, vomiting, headache and/or malaise. Plasma sodium levels below 100 mmol/L (2.3g/L) frequently result in cerebral edema, seizures, coma, and death within a few hours of drinking the excess water. As with alcohol poisoning, the progression from mild to severe symptoms may occur rapidly as the water continues to enter the body from the intestines or intravenously.

Hi Tomee

I really overdid it with the water on my 6th/7th day and it scared me stupid!! The effects were as if I was really realy drunk. I couldn't put a sentance together, my driving and reaction times was dangerous to say the least.. At one point my husband had to put me to bed as I couldn't stand up I was so light headed.. I was drinking about 7/8 litres at that point but steadily throuh out the day.

If you feel a bit lightheaded or vacant, stop with the water for a while..

hope this helps hun and well done on your weight loss so far !!

take it easy xxxx

Hey Pixie - wondering if you can tell me. I've been trying to find out exactly how much water is too much and roughly how much water causes water intoxication. I just can't find anything definate on the net - the answers range from 4 litres to 14 litres!!

I'd usually advise my chaps to drink 6 litres if they can. I really don't know how much more water than that will cause the electrolites to be washed out......what does it depend on?

thanks,

sorry to pinch your thread tommee:drool: lol

xx

Hi Coley,

Hyperhydration-Its difficult TBH, it very much depends on body size, and works very much like alcohol poisoning, everybody is different.
Its caused by too much watering down of sodium in the blood plasma....
Symptoms are a bit vague but are generally similar to alcoholic intoxication: nausea, headaches, spaced out etc...
Its more about the timeframe the water is consumed within than the amount but really no more than 500mls per hour.
The general cause of death for hyperhydration is seen in ectasy users where they try to compensate for rising body temp by drinking copius amounts of water which causes the brain to swell inside the skull.
Its fairly rare in 'normal' people but care is still needed.
6 litres would be an absolute maximum ideally, the kidneys have the capacity to process plenty more, but it does seem to put the body under some strain after 6 ltrs....
Sorry if thats a bit vague but the symptoms and amounts needed to cause the condition vary widely between patients.

OMG :eek:

I had a seizure last night, I think that it was to do with historic surgery.But you have given me som food for thought(scuse the pun)

I will mention it to my neurologist

Sam
x

Sam do you need to get checked out with a doctor? Hope it's a one off and you get sorted quickly.

Cath

Hi Katie

Hope it's a one off but still lose my licence for at least a year
I had brain surgery a couple of times and it was always a possibilty.
I was taken by ambulance to A nd E last night and we told the doctor there bout being on LL, She wasn't worried by it .My blood tests showed a small drop in phosphates.

I only drink about 5 litres a day so am not too concerned
I have actually felt thisty and my LLC keeps telling me I am de hydarated.So I honestly don;t think it is anything to do with the water
Sorry if I scared anyone
Anyway let me tell you its is very hard to eat a bar with a swollen tongue, I bit it on bothes sides,badly,during seizure

I am waiting to go and see my neuro consultant so will let you know what happens

And on a lighter note ha! ha! 5.5 pounds lost this week

Love to all

Sam
x

Sam I'm so glad you went to the hospital and got checked out and am glad that the doctor isn't concerned by you doing LL. It's rotten about your licence I know - my brother in law started having seizures after having had an accident in work where he took a massive bump to the head. He's no licence at the moment but hasn't had a seizure for about 10 or 11 months now since being on new medication so we're hoping that this is him in a land of maintenance say.

And 5.5lbs!!!! Wow - bloody brilliant :)

Cath
x

Hi Sam,

Glad you got sorted!
If you are drinking 5ltrs a day you shouldn't be dehydrated...
I don't wanna undermine your LLC but I doubt she/he's medically trained.
A quick test you can do yourself to see if you are dehydrated is to pinch the skin on the back of your hand for a couple of seconds, if it springs back quickly you are not dehydrated, if however it has a Play-doh like texture and takes longer to spring back then you are likely to be dehydrated, HTH!

Back