Barb's Up and Down Diary

Just popping in quick to say Hello! Been a difficult day, my Dad is not coping well in hospital and although the surgery has been ok the after effects of the drugs etc.. have left him very confused. He has limited sight and was in a real panic this morning as he did not know where he was, where my Mum was and got very upset. Staff rang my Mum, she panicked and got very upset and we dashed off to see him. he was making a lttle more sense by the time we left, although he thought he was coming home with us. Off to see him again in a minute, hence only a brief pop in. Diet obviously feels completely irrelevant (probably cos it is)but will soon buckle down when life settles down a bit.

Sorry you've had such a tough day, hope your dad is a bit better tomorrow, must be very difficult for him & your mum too of course.

The diet's bound to go a bit wobbly at times like this, but you'll get back into again soon enough.

Take care

Jan
x

Hi Barb,

Sorry I went awol. Hope your dad is feeling better, and that you and your mum will feel less worried soon. Don't worry about the diet - it's soooo unimportant in the scheme of things!

Love xxx

:grouphugg: :hug99:

Thanks Madam D and Anja, it has been a very rough 48hours. Hoping today will be a bit better as Dad starts to hopefully get out of bed! He had to be sedated last night as he was so upset. I will see him later so will see if he is less confused etc.. Nightmare, never expected these complications.

Sorry to hear your dad is having such a rough time of it Barb. Hope things improve very soon xx

Pleased to report that Dad is much improved and been moved to a nice little room all to himself! Working well with the physios and behaving much better. Thank goodness, it has been really worrying but he has deffo turned the corner. Not much time to think about diet, but no time to eat eitehr, so thats ok!

Thought I should pop in as I have been somewhat 'missing in action'! Been very busy visiting Dad, looking after Mum and generally running round like a headless chicken! Turned into 2 weeks of ID'ing, not really surprised, the only practical way for me to cope with all the stress and odd eating times. 2.25lbs have crept back but I guess it could be a lot worse. :D
I expect to get back to juddding properly on Sunday with a DD and then a weigh in Monday and off I go again. I do miss the structure of it, it's nice to have a break in theory but I like knowing I am chipping away at the weight and now I know I'm not it's a bit depressing really. :cry:

Still Dad's home now and things should get a lot easier, no more 4 hour round trips to the hospital will make a big difference!

So see how the next few weeks go, I know Anja is on her travels so I guess I will be Juddding alone for a bit.:(

Hi Barb
So good to see you back: I was just about to send out a search party!! :)

Glad to hear your dad is a lot better - strange how our parents worried themselves sick about us when we were younger and now we do the same for them! Talk about role reversal ...

You've done really well to only gain a tiny amount under the circumstances and that will probably be gone in a week so a huge pat on the back to you.

Great to have you back on board :D

Hiya Barb, you may be Juddding alone, but we're all rooting for you back here :)

Glad to hear your dad's a bit better and out of hospital now, I always believe that people get better once they're home again and in familiar comforting surroundings.

You've done really well not to pile the weight back on during this stressful and manic couple of weeks, easy to do when you're on the run and don't have time to plan and think about what you're eating, so that in itself is surely an achievement.

That couple of pounds should come off nice and easy too, and then like you say back to chipping away at it, slowly but surely :)

Take care, have a good day
xxxx

Thanks RD and Jan, thats the joy of Minimins, you are never alone.
It is amazing how stress affects you though. Whilst dad has been so poorly I have eaten a lot of rubbish, particularly biscuits and chocolate and wine! Today, his first full day at home I have had my cup of tea with 2 ginger biscs (not 5 like yesterday) and just eaten a lovely dish of melon and cherries, because thats what I fancied. Haven't fancied anything 'healthy' for ten days! Crikey, what a weird thing it is the link to appetite/stress/weight gain/stress....

So true Barb. Accepting that this is the cycle I'm in and that I'm not just plain 'greedy' has been a great revelation to me - that's one 'guilt' I can lay to rest: I eat for a number of reasons but sheer gluttony isn't one of them.

I also have to accept that I'm unlikely to change and I doubt if I'll be able to swap one 'coping mechanism' for another i.e I can't imagine that knitting will never take the place of eating when I'm mega stressed!

However, one thing you and I are succeeding in doing is to recognise what's going on and thats half the battle. It's only if we were to abandon our efforts altogether and throw in the towel that things would spiral horribly out of control. For that, we should award ourselves a pat on the back :)

Hi everyone

just a quickie to say I am going to be AWOL most of the time for a while. My Dad is recovering from knee surgery and my Mum had a heart attack yesterday, so basically i am splitting myself down the middle to look after both. Mum is in hospital and dad is at home and should not be left, so it is pretty tricky.

Catch up when I can.

Oh goodness Barb:eek: Even more of a worrying time for you.

Hope you sort out the parent sitting dilemma okay and your Mum gets better soon.

Lots of love dear friend.

Thanks KD and Claire,

it is a nghtmare of a time. I just seem to rush between the 2 all the time and it is so upsetting. I don't like this role reversal, I want to be the child, not the adult, but there is no choice, they both need me so much. My sister is being great and helping a fair bit but I have always spent way more time with them than her and so more is expected of me. It's ok in that I am one of those awful people who thinks she is the only one who will do what needs doing properly! Very wearing though. Goodness knows how the weight is; I seem to go 8 hours on nothing and then eat whatever is handy, which is nearly always not fruit or veg!

Mum is improving slightly so I hope she is going to be ok, however I do feel that things are never going to be quite the same again.

It is a big shock when you realise that your parents are not going to go on for ever. My Dad had a stroke 10 years ago and is now in a wheelchair, mentally pretty good but can't walk. It rocked me to the core, having always been a Daddy's girl. My mother relies on me, my DH and my sister for a lot of practical advice and help. Like you, I don't want to be the grown-up, even at 49 I don't feel ready.

Even though life won't go back to "normal" completely you will find a new pattern emerging that everyone can live with. The weight is probably pouring off with all that stress and running around, but the diet can wait until life has settled down again.

Oh Barb, sorry to hear your news, hope your mum is better soon & you're not too worn out running around and looking after everyone - don't forget to look after yourself too.

Much love
Jan
xx

Oh Barb

So sorry to hear things are harder now. I'm thinking of you.

Have been awol for 2 weeks & dread to think how much I've put on - I reckon at least half a stone. Moment of truth tomorrow morning!

Better unpack.
Love xxx

Thanks Claire, Jan and Anja (missed you Anja!)

just phoned the hosp, Mum has had a poor night so not expecting any miracles today, disappointed really as she looked a bit better last eve. Dad is in a sorry state, keeps crying and thinks she has died and that we arn't telling him, so we took photos of her to show him, think that helped. Will try to get him to see her today although I am worried that it will thoroughly upset both of them. Don't like now at all, want my life back but I can see that is never really going to happen. My DH has been nothing short of fantastic, so supportive and kind; I am a very lucky person. DD2 bought me a crystal pineapple to cheer me up and all 4 kids have been helping in every way they can, so that is great. Diet is the last thing on my mind but I feel I still want to keep up with my Minimins friends; it's about the only bit of my life that feels 'normal' right now.
Much love to all, hope everyone is getting on OK, I'll try to pop in later,

Back