Bare with me, I know what I mean :P

Alia

Silver Member
I was thinking today, it can be dangerous at times.

What do you consider to actually be a good day. I'm struggling with something and I'll try to explain. Until now I considered a good day to be where you have your meals, for me lunch and dinner cause I don't eat breakfast, and that's all you would eat - I'm struggling with the idea that as long as it's free food, allowed syns or HEX choices then you can eat as much and as often as you like.

Today I've had a banana and fat free yoghurt for breakfast and half a tin of baked beans as a snack. I then had golden rice with chick pea dhal and another banana and I've just had two hard boiled eggs. Oh and I used my HEX A choice on a milky coffee. I'm sitting here now convincing myself I've had a bad day cause I've eaten between meals anad I feel like I've lost control. I'm sure I sound pretty irrational but these are feelings that I struggle with and felt the need to talk about it.

Any one have ideas of how I can stop myself feeling like this and get onto the path of free food is fine even inbetween meals. :(

I've ALWAYS snacked between meals - I get ridiculously hungry about 2 hours after my breakfast so if I didn't eat anything then I'd either throw up or pass out :)

You are completely right in your thinking that, as long as it's on the plan, then snacking is OK! It keeps your blood sugar steady and means you won't give in to sugary cravings for a quick fix.

Everyone has a 'thing' Yours is that you feel guilty for snacking, for some they feel guilty for using syns, some feel guilty for not eating enough.. my thing is that i feel guilty for not finishing my plate.

its one of those things that youv just got to learn to relax with. your doing well, and your not doing anything wrong.. but you have to ask yourself.. do you want to spend the rest of your life feeling awkward and worried about snacking??

Now that im looking at my eating a bit closer, i see that i eat for the sake of it when im not hungry, its my favourite thing to do.. i lurve food.

now iv stopped eating untill im hungry and im trying to learn to stop when full.. but every now and then i panic because i finished my plate and im not sure i needed the food. . but i dont intend to let this become a habit, its just about finding a balance!

im learning to eat when im hungry, to keep eating if im hungry, to stop when im full.. and to accept that food is for fuel, aswell as enjoyment. I make a choice to use my syns on somthing yummy.. not save them all up for a fear of compensating a binge that i may or may not have at any time.

relax. enjoy the ride... dont get to target and be like me.. still full of emotional demons that im having to deal with now! iv been at target almost a year now, maintaining.. and only now am i really making progress to 'completing' the real journey. Changing inside and out. x

I was thinking today, it can be dangerous at times.

What do you consider to actually be a good day. I'm struggling with something and I'll try to explain. Until now I considered a good day to be where you have your meals, for me lunch and dinner cause I don't eat breakfast, and that's all you would eat - I'm struggling with the idea that as long as it's free food, allowed syns or HEX choices then you can eat as much and as often as you like.

Today I've had a banana and fat free yoghurt for breakfast and half a tin of baked beans as a snack. I then had golden rice with chick pea dhal and another banana and I've just had two hard boiled eggs. Oh and I used my HEX A choice on a milky coffee. I'm sitting here now convincing myself I've had a bad day cause I've eaten between meals anad I feel like I've lost control. I'm sure I sound pretty irrational but these are feelings that I struggle with and felt the need to talk about it.

Any one have ideas of how I can stop myself feeling like this and get onto the path of free food is fine even inbetween meals. :(

Sounds like a perfect day to me! Have you had any syns today? If not, now is the time to have 'em ;) I love Slimming World, it isn't meant to feel like a diet, it's a healthy eating plan for life :) that's why it's not restrictive

Don't worry about it sweetheart :)

What is dangerous is classing a day as 'good' or 'bad'

its not all black and white. Recognise your achievments, dont let them be ignored because you had a little slip up or think you could have done better on somthing else. Note your weak moments, work on them.. recognise your achievements and move onwards and forwards to a fresh new day. x

Everyone has a 'thing' Yours is that you feel guilty for snacking, for some they feel guilty for using syns, some feel guilty for not eating enough.. my thing is that i feel guilty for not finishing my plate.

its one of those things that youv just got to learn to relax with. your doing well, and your not doing anything wrong.. but you have to ask yourself.. do you want to spend the rest of your life feeling awkward and worried about snacking??

Now that im looking at my eating a bit closer, i see that i eat for the sake of it when im not hungry, its my favourite thing to do.. i lurve food.

now iv stopped eating untill im hungry and im trying to learn to stop when full.. but every now and then i panic because i finished my plate and im not sure i needed the food. . but i dont intend to let this become a habit, its just about finding a balance!

im learning to eat when im hungry, to keep eating if im hungry, to stop when im full.. and to accept that food is for fuel, aswell as enjoyment. I make a choice to use my syns on somthing yummy.. not save them all up for a fear of compensating a binge that i may or may not have at any time.

relax. enjoy the ride... dont get to target and be like me.. still full of emotional demons that im having to deal with now! iv been at target almost a year now, maintaining.. and only now am i really making progress to 'completing' the real journey. Changing inside and out. x

Fern thank you for that great post, you've made me think about something and made me realise something. Me feeling guilty about snacking between meals is a control thing, just like generally have as few syns as possible in day, again its a control thing, same about letting go and enjoying as much free food as possible is a control thing - I've realised I'm afraid to let go cause if I do then I feel like everything will fall apart. When I look at all areas of my life, control is something that I need. I think there is a fine line between control and obsession and me getting up at 3am in the morning to clean up when it was already clean is no different to me not wanting to eat between meals or use my syns up. The thought that I could have a chocolate bar every single day and still not have used all my syns up scares the hell out of me - its that common idea that you can't be on a weightloss programme, eat chocolate and still lose. If I was n't so terrified that one chocolate bar would lead to more and more then I'd love to actually see what would happen to my weightloss if I did use my syns on a bar of chocolate every day - I'm just not that brave. :eek:

Sounds like a perfect day to me! Have you had any syns today? If not, now is the time to have 'em ;) I love Slimming World, it isn't meant to feel like a diet, it's a healthy eating plan for life :) that's why it's not restrictive

Don't worry about it sweetheart :)

I've not had any syns today so far which is quite normal for me but then I've not had my HEX B choices yet either so I feel a nice quorn peppered beef slice and salad sandwich coming on and maybe a couple of alpen bars - I'll have extra light mayonnaise on my sandwich so that will be at least one syn lol and before I sleep I'll have a nice options hot chocolate too :)

I've just eaten 4 satumas too - think I could get used to this idea of if its free then eat it idea lol

What is dangerous is classing a day as 'good' or 'bad'

its not all black and white. Recognise your achievments, dont let them be ignored because you had a little slip up or think you could have done better on somthing else. Note your weak moments, work on them.. recognise your achievements and move onwards and forwards to a fresh new day. x

I like this, well said, I always class my days as 'good' or 'bad' food wise and it's not a good thing!

I am going to read this next time I start to decide what kind of day it was x

Thats exactly what it is.
To an extent, you need that control. That sence of calm that your in control of it, thats what makes it work.. but its the same for all of us.. control is somthing in your head.. because as in 'control' as we feel, our control over our syns, our food etc.. is irrational.. a word i wouldnt link with 'control' would you? im not sure how to word what i mean, so i hope you can kinda make sence of what im saying.

Every now and then you have to take a step back and see it for what it is, because if you dont.. you get too tense, and whats supposed to be a life change, cant be.. because your only feeling that moment right then and there when your determined not have any more syns or eat anything else.. or stop eating.. because you can only see that moment.

Some see it as a 'wasted day' a 'bad day' but what about the 'good' days.. the weeks you lost and made the most of every day.. your entire weightloss on a whole will never be ruined in just one week, one day. Were all allowed to slip up, because we have all the time in the world to fix it.. granted we dont want to spend our entire lives getting there.. but your more likley to 'waste' your entire life batteling it if your too hard on yourself, perfectionists only ever self sabotage in the end. I am a perfect example of this, one bad snack that i concider to ruin my day, turns into a week. Every single time, i cant stop. Thats another one of my 'things' as it were lol.

Your doing nothing wrong, even if it feels that way. Take a step back from it, and concentrate on this rather than your food and losses this week. Thats what iv been doing the last 2/3weeks now. Concentrating on identifying the difference between actually being hungry and being emotionally hungry has made me refocus and thus, things i usually stress over like syns.. i have relaxed with.. and you know what? iv had the best losses iv ever had in the last two weeks, and im tackeling my foody demons. Im making progress with myself..

maybe you ought to do the same and concentrate on changing the feeling of guilt.

everytime i head to the fridge subconciously.. i ask myself ' are you hungry' and i give myself a few minutes to listen to my body. . maybe you need to say to youself ' this is okay' every time you eat a free snack. Iv only been trying to 'fix' this for a week or two, but its already making a difference to me and i feel lighter, emotionally. Its made me realise how much pressure i really put on myself, stress i know i dont need. xxxxx

I've just eaten 4 satumas too - think I could get used to this idea of if its free then eat it idea lol

Its a delicate balance, and this is were it gets complicated. I eat because its free all day every day. Sw dont give portion control, they just say 'eat untill your full'. Iv never eaten till im full, i eat till im stuffed.. i ate because i can, not because i need too.

This is were my problems have occured.. yours are just the opposite, your brain is still telling your its not okay to snack on a 'diet'

like you, im not brave enough to eat a mini choc bar a day LOL

i think as Fern said - dont be too limiting to see days as good or bad - there may be a time when its 'okay' - and thats fine....

My own view is that if i eat my HEA and HEB choices, my free food and my syns, then i have had a 'good' day - sometimes i have too many syns (more than 15) but its just the way it is - sometimes i dont have my HEA or HEB choices.

I cant always stick to it 100%, but if i accept I am not perfect but i am trying to keep to the rules - thats good enough for me.

Try to enjoy your free foods, and dont feel guilty for snacking - its allowed and there to keep you on track - by eating the RIGHT foods, and steering clear of the WRONG foods....within reason!

Good luck x

Fern you are so right about the self sabotage thing - the last time I did SW was about 4 years ago and I was doing it with a life long friend, bit of the competition element there although she was no way near as big as I am. In 4 months I lost 6 stone but how did I do it - I did n't follow the SW concept I used it as a cover for what I was really doing - 2 meals a day, jacket potato and beans or mash and beans and 2 fat free yoghurts, same thing day in and day out - I made no allowance for syns at all and I was going to the gym 5 times a week for 3 hours at a time. I went on holiday, came back and had put on obviously, that was the last time I went to group - could n't get back into it and back on went the 6 stone plus an extra 5 :eek: I set myself up for a fall and it happened. I did n't face any of my demons or deal with them and here I am all this time later finally trying to work through them and attempting to have a healthy attitude towards food for the first time in my life.

Thats a perfect example hon.. atl;east you can recognise that this time.

Follow it right and youl do just fine, dont set yourself up for disaster.. you can do this. Blips and all. its part of life, and this is your new life.. so nothing to worry about.

Your gunna do great and this time, youl do it properly.. emotionally and physically xxx

Your doing amazing hun and like you said this time you finally working through your issues with food. I am too. I take each day as it comes and feel if i slipped up then i just get back on the horse and carry on. That's the best thing about this plan is its not a diet its a way of life, A way that works. x

Back