Bars versus Shakes

Alia

Silver Member
I was wondering if weight losses would be greater having 3 shakes/soups/porridge a day rather than 2 and a bar. I'm not looking to lose more a week as my loses are fab but my daughter who is doing Exante aswell made the mistake of having 3 bars a day thinking it was ok and she has lost I think 10lb in 2 weeks. So it got me thinking about bars as they do have a higher calories count etc so surely if you did not have them you would lose faster. Personally I need my bar every day as its the only thing I get to 'chew' on in a day.

I think that because we are on so few calories a day anyway the small amount extra doesnt really make a difference, and also the bars are meant to help you in the pooping department which ultimately will make you weigh less on the scales than you would if you hand been??

Well, it's not so much the calorie content of the bar why it's advised to have only one per day. It's the slightly higher carb content. Having three a day would add up to a fair few more grams of carbs and if someone's quite sensitive to carbs, they might struggle getting into/staying in ketosis.

But having one bar and two packs versus having no bars and only packs shouldn't really make much of a difference. 10lb in 2 weeks is not a bad loss, mind. If the average loss to be expected is a stone (14lb) a month, then she's on track with her loss. Has she got a lot to lose?

You say they're higher in carbs but they're not if you look? I'm comparing a strawberry shake to nut/raisin bar and the carbs in shake is 19.3 but which is sugar is 14.3 whereas the bar is 19.7 but the sugar part is only 7.5 which is nearly half less again.

I've never understood why they limit bars tbh as they have less sugar, more fibre (which helps stop the sugar hit too), more protein and less fat. All good in my opinion, hence why I don't limit them :)

I say this from my perspective and I wouldn't want people thinking they could eat more than one, especially if its recommended to only have 1 a day. I'm sure there's a reason somewhere, but with the exercise I do, I can eat 2 bars a day and my weightloss isn't affected?

No Bee you are right, but its minimal. 19.7 to 19.3. But like you say it could add up if you were to do this every day.

When I used to do Cambridge the lady said I could have 2 bars due to being a bit more active (I used to run) and I know then it didn't affect my weightloss. I just find the bars more convenient too if I'm out and about and running around etc.

Hm yes that's a strange one. So really if I had three bars a day, I'd only have 1.2g more carbs which should not really make that much of a difference. In my case, I do have the occasional chewing gum or mint or every once in a while a splash of milk in my coffee when I can't stomach it black. And it hasn't really affected me.

I have milk all the time and it hasn't affected my weightloss. Again though everyone is different and I guess thats the kind of thing you'd play around with once coming off TS. I'm just know I couldn't have done this diet without my tea/lattes so there was no point setting myself up for failure in the first place :) x

Well, it's not so much the calorie content of the bar why it's advised to have only one per day. It's the slightly higher carb content. Having three a day would add up to a fair few more grams of carbs and if someone's quite sensitive to carbs, they might struggle getting into/staying in ketosis.

But having one bar and two packs versus having no bars and only packs shouldn't really make much of a difference. 10lb in 2 weeks is not a bad loss, mind. If the average loss to be expected is a stone (14lb) a month, then she's on track with her loss. Has she got a lot to lose?

she has about 7 stone to loose I guess so a fair bit. Her loss was over 3 weeks, sorry my mistake. She is happy with that as she had one blip and then the three bars a day. I was just curious thats all as sometimes it is easier to have an extra bar if you are out and about x

You know, at the end of the day, the one bar a day thing is a suggestion, not a win-or-fail rule. So perhaps if she manages to cut down to two bars and a soup or shake, maybe she'll get used to having fewer bars?

2 or 3 bars a day is ok occasionally if you're going to be out and about and have no other choice, but yes they do say only one a day.

The shakes aren't all equal as far as carbs go though so also not sure why it makes a difference. This is what it says on the website:

How many Bars can I have a day?

We only recommend that you have one bar a day. This is because the bars contain slightly more calories and carbohydrates than the Shakes and Soups.

The choc/orange bar has 16.9g carbs and 219 calories
The chocolate shake has 20.1g carbs and 200 calories so far more carbs but less calories. I guess it balances out but I can't see any reason why that extra 19 calories means only 1 a day.

Personally I've had more than 1 occasionally when I've had to go out and it's made no difference to my losses and it also makes no difference if I only have shakes/soups or have bars as well.

I usually have a bar for lunch on work days because it is more convenient and I can make the shakes in the shaker without getting lumps. I can't see what is wrong aith having 2 bars a day sometimes if it is more convenient.

Back