Baseline & advice for newbie

Kat1e

This is for life
Hi everyone, nice to meet you. I am just about to start Atkins and would appreciate some advice.

First some background: 42, mum of 1, was always happily curvy when younger at 90kg, then post baby 100kg but a cuddly mummy, went on the scales today and it's 112kg which is BMI 37.4 (5ft8)

OMG - how did this happen! Being feeling pretty rough after eating & drinking far too much over xmas - read the atkins book 2 days ago and fairly convinced this sounds reasonable. Did a run around my kitchen and can see that carbs are my problem. Have borderline BP problems and pretty convinced that health probs will follow shortly

So.....great I know I need to start. I've tried the odd low calorie diet in the past but I cannot give up enjoying food and wine plus anyway hardly lost any weight. Also recently upped my exercise but just an excuse to eat more pasta.....!

So the advice I need please:

1. target weight - I am thinking of setting 90kg which is still a BMI of 30. reason is that I can remember being happy and healthy at this weight, have some beautiful designer clothes that I refused to throw away plus this seems in reach.
Does this seem reasonable? Should I target a better BMI?

2. short term weight goal & speed - I am going on holiday beginning of april and would be great to have a shorter term goal that is realistic assuming this is a lifestyle change not a crash diet. What would be reasonable as 3 months on atkins lifestyle?

3. I am not a dieter as believe they make you fat - but then look at me. So hoping that you can help me change habits & give me support:)

Thanks all
Katie

Hi Katie and welcome!

I'll try and answer your questions in the order you've listed them.

1- I don't think it is unreasonable to aim for 90kg. It may be worth having that as your goal and then seeing how you feel when you reach it. Then, if you want to lose more you can do or continue with maintenance. I wouldn't put a set date on when you want to lose this weight by or how fast - that's up to individual preference though.

2- This one is a little harder. It depends on how long you stay on induction and other things too. It is different for different people. Some people like to have a number to aim for, some people find that this doesn't work for them - if you don't hit it it might get you down and off the wagon.

3- You'll definitely get all the support you need on this board! The big one is to make sure you drink lots of water. The first three days may be hard going, headaches from the withdrawals. Stick with it though and it'll be worth it. I'm using today as day 1 of phase 2 of Atkins (kind of messed up) too so it'll be nice to start induction with someone else.

Best of luck!

Hi everyone, nice to meet you. I am just about to start Atkins and would appreciate some advice.

First some background: 42, mum of 1, was always happily curvy when younger at 90kg, then post baby 100kg but a cuddly mummy, went on the scales today and it's 112kg which is BMI 37.4 (5ft8)

OMG - how did this happen! Being feeling pretty rough after eating & drinking far too much over xmas - read the atkins book 2 days ago and fairly convinced this sounds reasonable. Did a run around my kitchen and can see that carbs are my problem. Have borderline BP problems and pretty convinced that health probs will follow shortly

So.....great I know I need to start. I've tried the odd low calorie diet in the past but I cannot give up enjoying food and wine plus anyway hardly lost any weight. Also recently upped my exercise but just an excuse to eat more pasta.....!

So the advice I need please:

1. target weight - I am thinking of setting 90kg which is still a BMI of 30. reason is that I can remember being happy and healthy at this weight, have some beautiful designer clothes that I refused to throw away plus this seems in reach.
Does this seem reasonable? Should I target a better BMI?

2. short term weight goal & speed - I am going on holiday beginning of april and would be great to have a shorter term goal that is realistic assuming this is a lifestyle change not a crash diet. What would be reasonable as 3 months on atkins lifestyle?

3. I am not a dieter as believe they make you fat - but then look at me. So hoping that you can help me change habits & give me support:)

Thanks all
Katie

Hi Katie and welcome

Michael is right, it's a bit difficult to answer your questions. As you will see from our stats, we are all heights and weights!

Some people have opted for a weight they were happy at - some, like me, have plumped (sorry :)) for a number and will see how it goes.

Re the speed - as Michael says, it depends on how long you stay on strict Induction. I am still on a loose Induction (Atkins choc sneaks in) after three months and happy with it, and the losses can be hard to predict - but if they stay at about 2lbs a week I'll be happy :)

Re Q3, all I can say is that I have never been healthier, and so happy because I am utterly confident (for the first time ever) that I am going to lose the weight - this is the eating plan for me - for life :)

Susie

Hiya Katie! Welcome aboard!

I think 90kg is a perfectly good target, as you can always re-assess how you feel at that weight and go a little lower if you want to.

It's hard to tell what rate you'll lose at - it's different for everyone. there tends to be a big loss in the first week then it steadies out. My OH did it properly and lost about 2lbs a week, with several periods of plateauing out in the middle for some unknown reason. I faff about and don't lose nearly as much - I was doing OWL and losing about half a pound a week.

I totally agree about low calorie diets making you fat by slowing your metabolism - I would never do them again, and I've done everything in the past!

Good luck. :)

Hi katie and welcome love, have you read the stickies and got the book?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I've actually started this morning which is a day earlier than planned as i have a day off before back to work tomorrow and i thought it would be useful to get going. Nice brekkie of bacon and eggs :)

Ok ive got my targets sorted now, just a couple more questions having read the book
1 Says to use psyllium husks - are these easily available on uk high st.?
2 advice on multivits - has anyone found an appropriate brand that meets these guidlines - all looks a bit complicated in the book and my 6.5 yr old dd is not going to let me spend hours browsing in the shops!

Thank you and looking forward to get to know you all better

1 Says to use psyllium husks - are these easily available on uk high st.?
2 advice on multivits - has anyone found an appropriate brand that meets these guidlines - all looks a bit complicated in the book and my 6.5 yr old dd is not going to let me spend hours browsing in the shops!

Hi Katie

You can get psyllium husks at Holland Barrett - but see what the others say, I bought some and stopped using them after a month - if you drink lots of water, that helps with No 2s (sorry)

Multivitamins - just get a complete one, preferably without citric acid, as that can stall some people.

I also take chromium (Holland and Barrett again), which is a fat burner. I stopped taking them in December and have just started again, so think they do help with weight loss.

Hope this helps :)

Katie, I found flaxmeal on the Geeks, Freaks and weirdo's aisle in tesco

I just took a general purpose multivit on Induction and a Omega 3 capsule which I still take for my joints.
Image000-19.jpg

Thanks jim & susie. Done my holland and barret run to get going today - then will do proper shopping at tesco/waitrose tomorrow to stock up on lots of goodies (new definition of course!) once school restarts.

Also cleared out the kitchen this morning and was HORRIFIED by all the sugar in everything. No wonder i weigh this much! Well at least i know now.....

Yes sugar is EVIL!!

best of luck hon x

LOL, yes you will love. :)

Hi Katie, I'm quite new to Atkins so not really able to give advice, but i will say that having spent 12 mths on slimming world, and desperate for a change, i started Atkins 3 wks before xmas - what a revelation!

it seems like such a big deal to start with, and having to work against the lowfat dogma that we've all absorbed is quite difficult.

But the food is great - my husband is delighted with the tasty meals - doesn't have to sneak out for a kebab anymore to get a flavour hit :eat:

Hello dizzy and wb - nice to meet you :)

Good point about low fat dogma; at breakfast DD asked why are you having bacon, its not low fat, arent you on a diet? I said it was a different sort of diet with no pasta and potatoes and she said oh! What is most scary is that she is only 6.5 and "knows" you should eat low fat to diet! To be worked on once i crack it myself....

Anyhow, need some more advice please. I am at work tomorrow, rush home, have dinner and then out for 2.5 hours dancing. Normally i would have pasta to keep me going. Please can someone suggest a suitable dinner that's quick and easy to cook, wont sit heavily but will provide energy for 2.5 hrs vigourous exercise

Thank you

Salad or veg and a little chicken or fish Katie? Or an egg or two? I struggle with this when I run on Tuesday nights. Always hit home starving and wanting to eat myself out of house and home, but if I eat much it sits in my belly like a lump of lead!

Back