Batch cooking

Hi all, I have only been doing SW for a week or so and although I love cooking I am finding it difficult to cook a decent low syn or syn free dinner every night after work as I go to the gym too and not home until 8pm.
I was thinking of batch cooking and freezing dinners this weekend to last me a week or two, was just wondering if people have any favourites which freeze well and don't require cooking extras when reheating.
Thanks in advance.
S

soup, casseroles where you put everything in the pot, curry (cook rice at same time and freeze too), shepherds pie. Do you have a slow cooker? I prepare all veg the night before, throw in meat in the morning and turn on as I walk out the door. Dinner ready and waiting to be served as soon as you walk through the door.

kerry b said:
soup, casseroles where you put everything in the pot, curry (cook rice at same time and freeze too), shepherds pie. Do you have a slow cooker? I prepare all veg the night before, throw in meat in the morning and turn on as I walk out the door. Dinner ready and waiting to be served as soon as you walk through the door.

I do have a slow cooker but as I leave at 8am it is on for 12 hours and even on low it just turns food to mush in that time. I'm looking for some recipes if anyone has them, I've always been a fish/meat and veg girl, never really made casseroles before. Got any faces?
S

Spaghetti sauce is the one that comes to mind first :) I've also made a big batch of taco type filling (shredded chicken, salsa, taco seasoning, rice and beans) and frozen that for quick dinners.

A really good website that I've found for slow cooker recipes is A Year of Slow Cooking

My problem with batch cooking is forgetting to take the stuff out to defrost :rolleyes:

Some of my fave casseroles are

Beef & veg: brown some stewing steak, add any veg you like ( i tend to use carrot onion potatao and turnip then few peas towards end of cooking but im not a big veg fan) add tin chopped tomatoes, bit of beef stock (about 150ml) and cook in low oven (sorry i use slowcooker so not sure of temp, 160* maybe) until meat is tender and veg cooked to personal taste.

Lamb and barley (Irish stew): brown some lamb add to pot with pre boiled barley (according to packet instuctions) carrot potataoes and cover with lamb/veg stock and cook in low oven for 2-3 hrs.

Most of my casseroles are just meat and veg with a bit of stock or tinned tomatoes. If you do a search on here you will find literally hundreds of casserole recipies.

Last week I made chicken curry and bologne that I froze.. It lasted for 4 days and then on Friday I made sw chips with whatever I had left over..

This week I'm making pasta bologne bake to freeze.. Then will be eating sticky chicken which will be marinated over night and will just have o be chucked into the oven when I get in... Again over the 4 days of the week then Friday I'll make something from scratch

I make a lot of soups - have a looks at some of the other threads for recipes. They freeze really well and just need to be warmed in the microwave.

Another favourite is chilli and although I cook my rice fresh each time you could always cook yours and freeze it with the chilli. Either that or have it in a ww wrap for something different!

Back