Be Kind To Yourself

SunHill

At the start of the year I made a promise to myself, a sort of resolution if you will, that this year I'd start being kind to myself.

In short, this covers everything from actually going to the doctors when something is wrong rather than ignoring it, following up on appointments that I should (like the dentist who I avoid where possible!), stop procrastinating and do stuff as it arrives rather than dreading and dwelling on it and making it worse in my head, treating myself to things that aren't food, giving myself a little pamper & actually using the skin/face things I buy rather than looking at them from shelves/cupboards, going to places and doing things I want to go to rather than 'eh... there will be people there. best not!' and so on and so forth!

It's safe to say I've been more than little rubbish at this so far and so and it needs to change! From people I've spoken to in real life I'm not the only one to be too hard on myself so I'm hoping that this little thread might help inspire some others to do the same like a sort of form of therapy and boost our morale and in turn boost our willpower too!

Please feel free to post little things you've done just for you! They can be as big or as small as you like - for example 'I did my admin that i'd been putting off so it's not hanging over me like it has been for three months', 'I had a lie in until 11 today and did absolutely nothing!' to 'i booked myself onto an evening class for something i've been wanting to learn for years' 'I've booked myself a holiday/weekend away because i deserve it!'

13yik36.png

Today I found two gorgeous dresses at the charity shop, one being a Dorothy Perkins Maxi dress that was brand new (and the ticket said it was £42 new!). I got both of them for £8 all in - bargain! I'm going to make a concerted effort to dress properly rather than jeans and hide! Because of that, I've also given my jewellery (largely costume jewellery cheap from aliexpress haha!) a going over with some warm soapy water and scrubbed and polished it all up too - I am going to blind everyone with the bling as I pass I think :roofles:

Nice thread idea, I like it :).

actually going to the doctors when something is wrong rather than ignoring it, following up on appointments that I should (like the dentist who I avoid where possible!), stop procrastinating and do stuff as it arrives rather than dreading and dwelling on it and making it worse in my head, treating myself to things that aren't food, giving myself a little pamper & actually using the skin/face things I buy rather than looking at them from shelves/cupboards !

Oh my goodness that's me in a teacup! I'm a shocker for buying skincare and not using it - I think it's my way of buying stuff for myself because i don't buy clothes (because nothing fits!). And I buy fab cleaning equipment and then don't use it...

Right, my Me action yesterday - I have two cream sofas and two cats that shed all over them (and occasionally throw up on them, nice). I've bought covers for them but couldn't be a**ed to actually clean the hair off, just kept staring at the sofas thinking "I must do that" - and yesterday I did! I spent an hour with a lint roller getting all the hair off, and then put the covers on, and they look great! Well pleased with myself :).

Lovely thread! I seem to be doing a similar thing this year. So far, I've had an unpleasant routine medical test, heavy dental intervention (after 15 years neglect) and on Tues I get a mopchop....plus 84days of heavy duty dieting. So much more to do. But a start has been made!!

Well done ladies! :) Fabulous to hear! It's so easy to do everything for everyone else (I'm mums carer so everything is about her) and avoid what we need to do for ourselves - we are the only people who can do it! :)

Lady F, have you thought about getting a second set of covers? That way you'll never have to do it again if they're washable - all you have to do is swap every so often and wash the original and the cats won't ever do it again! :)

Today I have changed my bedding (love clean sheet night!) and had a good clean out in my bedroom (not clothes yet as I'm back up to the bigger end of my sizes and I've nothing to clear out there) and it feels so much nicer and relaxing. Whilst doing so I've watched a DVD that I wanted to see for ages but never got the chance to. Now I'm going to make dinner and watch a movie that again I've been wanting to see for ages with ice cream afterwards! :) (recommend the Beyers ice cream ladies - in offer at the mo in Tesco for £2.50 rather than a fiver a tub. Half of the 500ml tub is around 150-190 calories depending on the flavours). WE've tried the mint choc chip so far - couldn't tell the difference from normal ice cream. Going to try the cookies and cream tonight.

Lady F, have you thought about getting a second set of covers? That way you'll never have to do it again if they're washable - all you have to do is swap every so often and wash the original and the cats won't ever do it again! :).

Thanks hun I did consider it but new Ikea fitted covers are quite ££ so I got two dark grey quilted covers that fit along the seat and back and rolls over the arms of each sofa - and they are easy to take off and wash when there are accidents :).

I liked the Breyers too, tried the cookies and cream and it was yummy, and i really love the Halo peanut butter one - but can't have icecream in the house or I eat the whole tub in one go. Instead I'm using a tub of Muller Light, mixing in a teaspoon of xantham gum (to stop it icing up) and whacking in smaller tubs in the freezer.

I must admit I haven't tried the Halo ones yet as I am tight and refuse to pay a fiver for some ice cream (that I might not like - unlikely I know but yeah.. too tight to spend a fiver on it haha!) £2.50 doesn't seem to bad! :) Going to stock up whilst the offer is on and bury it at the bottom of the freezer.

I hadn't heard of the Xanthum gum in the muller light - good idea! :) All I heard was freeze it then keep shaking it. I have to admit I haven't done a muller ice cream - though I did (and still will if I get any more) freeze the areo/rolo/milkybar etc mousses when I did SW and have those like ice cream - I think they were about 4-5 syns each?

Sounds perfect! I bet those covers would be easier to wash and then dry than the fitted ones too! :)

Love this thread! I think as a big girl I have the tendency to not make an effort with myself, preferring to hide away and not be noticed but it makes you feel like crap. So like you I'm trying to make more of an effort and not just chuck on anything that's not dirty! Lol ordered a rockabilly dress from eBay last night. Bright red! Ooooer missus! Question being will i actually have the brass ones to wear it? Also gonna get my hair re-dyed on Friday as i always seem to wait until it looks awful before getting it done. Need to pluck my eyebrows tonight too as they look like warring caterpillars! 😂
20161020173839_11735.jpg

Warring caterpillars LOLOL love it! I'm in my 50s now (ohmygodhowdidthathappen!) and mine are starting to fall out...might have to go the tattoo route at some point!

Love the dress, I say go for it, you will look amazing!

I'm 40 next year. My eldest is off to college on September and have three younger ones. Really want to feel good about myself for my 40th and have the confidence to go somewhere posh and look totally amazing!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Dear lord that dress is GORGEOUS! You definitely have the guts to wear it! It's incredible!

I'm alright doing eyebrows (a bit haha!) until I get to the bits either side of my nose - it always hurts like hell there and makes my eyes water. Not crying, honest ;) :p

My brother bought me a £100 beauty gift voucher for my 33rd uh... extra late twenties birthday back at the start of the year which - I really don't want to sound ungrateful but it is going to sound that way - is a really bad present idea for me. I'm not a girly girl in the slightest, I don't like being touched by strangers, I forget/don't use the skin stuff I already have and I don't wear make up because i've got hyperhidrosis and it would just literally roll down off my face before I get downstairs never mind out the house! I'm on meds for it (third different set of tablets because I became immune to the others and they didn't help) but it only helps sort of 50% of the time and lessened it during the winter. Now we're approaching spring they don't appear to be working again. I don't do my nails, extensions would hinder looking after mum etc and although I don't bite my nails they're short for obvious reasons so nothing to really paint for shellac etc!

BUT I only have about three weeks to use it up as it runs out early May so I'm going to have to go for something!

@Rayven1979 OMG that dress is fab!!!

I really love this thread, I decided I was going to treat myself as I went along the way, losing weight. every 2 stone I am doing something for me.. Usually I would hate spending money on myself (and the funny thing is I used to spend a fortune on food) but spending it on anything I needed, always felt like I didn't deserve to spend that money on me. But I am slowly getting out of that frame of mind.

I'm loving learning to look after myself again. I'm not really a girly girl but have started painting my toe nails, dying my hair...... even have a tattoo planned! I've also started moisturizing! Me?! Lol it feels totally alien loving on myself in this fashion but I'm getting used to it. 😁

Attachments

• Amazing-Wolf-Head-And-Raven-Tattoo-Design.jpg
    Amazing-Wolf-Head-And-Raven-Tattoo-Design.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 7
Managed to tame the caterpillars without too many tears. Now I remember why I don't do it regularly. Ouch!

LOL wait until you're in your 50s like me - where hair stops growing on your legs and sprouts out your nose and chin. Oh the joy of being a woman :classic_roll_eyes:

BUT I only have about three weeks to use it up as it runs out early May so I'm going to have to go for something!

What about selling it on eBay?

Unfortunately with it being a local salon it'd only get say a tenner or so on ebay if anyone even found it in the first place so it's not possible, I did consider it :(

I also asked my friends to see if they'd be interested in it but none wanted to buy it because a) not many of them do beauty things and those that do have their own people/salons they already go to and b) noone had even half the price of it to buy it off me so it didn't work out.

But!!! I'm going to use it as one of my 'be kind to myself' and have a pamper in the next couple of weeks or it will have run out. Got to find a polite way when I next see him (which i have no idea when it will be because the last time I saw him was my mums birthday last Oct) and ask him not to buy any beauty type vouchers again... i don't know what sent him in that direction if i'm honest, he knows I don't do beauty things and his wife doesn't either so I wouldn't think it'd be his automatic 'female' go to!)

Oh god, the chin hair! Why god, why?!

Today I spent the evening doing diamond painting and I'm fully expecting to do a fair bit tomorrow - really calming and chilled me right out... until I dropped the rhinestones at one point and had to pick them off the floor LOL!

Oh no, diamonds everywhere! That's not good :). My cats would be in 7th heaven batting them all over the place - usually under the sofas! :)

everytime the dogs saw the light shone on it and the reflections shooting off onto the wall (like a discoball) they got all over excited and barked at it haha!

Booked to use the voucher with my friend - we're both having an indian head massage (my shoulders are already crying out happily for it!), manicure, pedicure and eyebrow waxing each. Booked it for next week so I can get the big important cleaning done before getting my nails done. You never know, may get a taste for it!

Back