Beating myself up!!

Why don't you write down how you feel now, whether its angry at yourself, upset ect. then next Friday before you start to go off track and everytime you feel like having something look back at how you felt today. It might just remind you it isn't worth it.

Or try using weekly syns, so you can still have bigger treats on weekends but stay on plan... that will only work if you can stick within the new amount of syns though :/

That sounds like a great idea i have a diary on here so i will go and write in it. I havent tried this before so hope it works. I sometimes feel like my life is hold while im dieting!! As i get offers to go out and think to my self oh i cant do that cause i want to lose weight that week. :(

There are lots of on plan choices you can make though, or if you want a treat then save syns.

We went to a Mexican on Saturday and I could have had the chilli but I love mexican and really fancied enchilada's, so I saved some syns over the week, having around 5 a day, according to my book I spent about 58 syns that night (although personally it felt like more :/) but I don't feel guilty about it as even if I was slightly over for the week it won't be much as I've been really good the rest of the week.

Usually when I go out though I will try and stay within the 15 syns by having things like meat and salad or meat and jacket potato, or something which I know the syns of.

Try to avoid feeling like your life is on hold otherwise it will be very hard for you to carry on. Good luck with the diary I hope it helps

I know i need to not feel like my life is on hold Cause I think that is why i have gave up in the past. I suppose its a cause of asking myself what is more important at that moment in time!! I will try to limit my syns in the weeks that i know i am going out!!! Thanks for your help Donna. Things seem a bit clearer now!!! :)

I have been on SW for over 5 years. I have people at my group who have been there over 10 years. Your life cannot be on hold while you follow SW because if you want to reach and stay at target, SW is a life long plan.

The dieting never stops. We make choices every day, the main choice is whether to keep going!

I'm not saying this will work for everyone but it does work for me. When I feel like having a splurge, I rein myself back in by thinking "I would rather lose weight on the scales this week than have that wine/vodka/takeaway". It reminds me in advance of the dread I'd have if I knew I was unlikely to lose weight because of a meaningless splurge, and reminds me that I've already stuffed my face on an uncontrolled and regular basis too many times in the past. Which of course is how I put so much weight on in the first place.

I realise it probably doesn't sound like a particularly remarkable phrase, but it does help me focus on what I really, really want - which is to lose weight, be healthier and look better. That is the most important thing to me. Plus I heard it from Rosemary Conley herself, and if it works for her then it must be worth a try!

The way I manage it, and to be fair I'm fairly new, only seven months in, but in those seven months I have managed to keep to the diet, even if that involves a bit of flexi syning.

When I have gone off the rails, i try to focus on a few different things:

i) You are never in so deep it doesnt matter what you do. What I mean by that, with an example, is that if you have broke the diet, it doesnt mean you might as well break it even more and deal with the consequences later. On Saturday I went to a pub chain The Flaming Grill. I have to say for cheap food, it was superb steak. Anyway, back to the story. I looked at the menu. The steaks were all flame grilled, thus essentially free, no probs there. They had a top up option of beans, bacon and a bit of sausage. I knew that the bacon and sausage wouldnt be lean, but it would be a handful of syns at most, and the beans were free. The choice of sides were salad with mushrooms, chips or baked potato. Chips are pretty much a no no, they can easily be twenty syns. I went for the salad. I forgot to ask for no dressing, but i did ask for no butter on the mushrooms, and i said no to dessert.

I could have taken the attitude, or well, tonight's a night off, had some fries, had a burger, gone over my syns, and thought, sod it, that toffee ice cream waffle looks great, what the hell?

I disciplined myself. I possibly went over the syns as a result of the dressings etc, but well within reason. That sixteen syn max meal, could have turned into a hundred syn meal with very little effort. You are never in too deep that you cant come back, and you are never to deep that you are 'sod it, in for a penny in for a pound'.

That said, whatever you do do, tomorrow is another day, start again.

ii) I have found myself being much more relaxed and less uptight about the diet now. Very occasionally, especially if eating out, I will swap my day for a calorie day. This isnt following the diet properly, but I have got the knack of weighing up precisely what i am eating, as long as I havent hit fifteen hundred calories I am good. I stress, this is very rare, but it helps when eating foods that you dont have control over.

iii) The big lesson I hope i can accommodate into my life forever, is the third superfree. No matter what you are eating, no matter how horrendous, how many syns it has, how much fat and sugar, you always incorporate that third superfree. Do this with *anything*. You really want those Fish and Chips, and nothing is going to stop you, have the fish and chips. Get a small portion of the chips and fill that plate up with some salad or veg. If you are going to have a pizza (shock horror), have the pizza. While you are waiting for it to be delivered, knock up a lovely fruit salad. Eat the fruit salad before the meal gets to your house, or eat it while you are eating the pizza.

You follow that rule, you are eating a third of the meal from things that have pretty much no sugar or fat, but fill you up.

So when you go off plan, think *damage limitation*, not *beating myself up*.

Back