Beating the Bulge... once and for all

Just_Becca

Hello, and welcome to my (hopefully) weekly diary charting my SW journey. :eek:

My name's Becca and this year I have made myself a promise, not a resolution, to take control of my body. I decided not to make a resolution because for all of my life I have not been able to keepthem, promises on the other hand I've yet to fail at.

I'm currently 22 years old and weighing in at 14stone 5lbs. Not my heaviest, but certainly at my most unhappy with my body.:( This year it's time to focus my mind and really work on becoming the adult I want to be. I have all of the resources at my disposal I am making the concerted effort this time around to stick to my guns and really work hard.

I began the SW EE diet on yesterday. In the past I have done it on my own, no groups, and switched between the Green days and Red days. So it's my first go at this new eating plan and I need to get out of the old habits of panicking that I'm mixing carbs and meat. I've set myself 10 syns a day, before I think I made it about 20 and even then would go over and make excuses. Not this time!! :D

I've put my target weight down at 12st 5lbs because I feel that's a feasible task. All too often I've said I want to lost 4stone in 4months (an impossible feat!) With any luck, I should make this 2 stone weight loss by my birthday in April. The last time I weighed that I was probably around 12 years old, so making the weight loss target my birthday should be quite the incentive!

That's all for now I think, I'll report back next week to let you know how the first week of a new eating plan has gone and whether i make my target of exercising 5 times this week. So far it's 1.

I hope you stick with me through this journey as I know I'll be needing as much help as I can get

Love and peace

Becca x

Hi Becca x

Lovely introduction! I'm sure you'll do really well on SW. Good luck with your first week! Xx

Hi becca,
I'm just turned 24 and joined SW for the first time last Thursday and my initial weight was 14st 10.5lbs, I knew I was over 14, but didn't know that much. I've done all sorts of different diets but this time I've decided this is for good. As far as I can see from this diet it's pretty balanced and kinda what ud like to think a healthy diet would be, so hopefully it will become more of a lifestyle for me than diet.
Its good that you've got a little target. My long term goal is 10.7 but like you I'm realistic that's not going to happen that quickly, so I've set a little target of 12.7 for my holiday to Spain in may.
My hubby's dad and step mum live out there. Step mum is a natural size 6-8, and I always feel judged for my size when there (especially wearing bikini). Not by step mum but by hubby's dad, he always slates hubby's real mum for being fat (she's probably same size as me). Although he's not said anything about me, makes me self conscious.
Anyway, super sorry for my babble!
Good luck with your weight loss this week, I'm sure ull do great! Let us know how you get on!
Xx

Emma, it's all about the realistic targets. It's just too easy to say I'm going to be 9 stone and a size six! As that well known fable says, slow and steady wins the race.

I know how you feel about the being judged thing. My family are alright with it now, but when i was younger my Mum would make 'subtle remarks' about weight gain and stuff. My uncle once told me that if I lost weight he'd buy me a car. That's the closest I've ever been to smacking the man!! The problem was that I was always active, it's just my relationship to food that's the issue. With any luck I'm addressing that head on.

Already I've had debates with myself about the whole syn thigns, yesterday I very nearly overate on the because I'd forgotten I'd had a small christmas choc. So I've now started making a note of what I eat, at least for the first few weeks so I can always check back if I stumble or something.

Best of luck, and I'll report back on Monday with what will hopefully be a loss.

x B

Hi, similar age and weight to me... lets hope your not a slow loser like me haha. EE took me some getting used to, i did red and green for 3 years, but its so easy you kind of forget you can eat practically anything and thats its still a weight loss regime. Anyway, good luck :)

Emma, it's all about the realistic targets. It's just too easy to say I'm going to be 9 stone and a size six! As that well known fable says, slow and steady wins the race.

I know how you feel about the being judged thing. My family are alright with it now, but when i was younger my Mum would make 'subtle remarks' about weight gain and stuff. My uncle once told me that if I lost weight he'd buy me a car. That's the closest I've ever been to smacking the man!! The problem was that I was always active, it's just my relationship to food that's the issue. With any luck I'm addressing that head on.

Already I've had debates with myself about the whole syn thigns, yesterday I very nearly overate on the because I'd forgotten I'd had a small christmas choc. So I've now started making a note of what I eat, at least for the first few weeks so I can always check back if I stumble or something.

Best of luck, and I'll report back on Monday with what will hopefully be a loss.

x B

At group we have to write down what we eat for 4 weeks, so that's a good plan. Think ill use mine as inspiration when I can't think if anything to cook. Lol. I'm useless in evenings, I always crave snacks, so I'm trying my best to save my syns for dinner/ evening snack so I can have a curly wurly if I want one. X

Mid week update!

So I decided today that the only way I would truly keep to the SW EE plan, was to officially sign up. Now because of my crazy work schedule that can change at the drop of a hat, I've only signed up online. But I've found even by paying the 3 month sign up fee I feel like I've taken a step in the right direction. I've also brought a SW 2013 pack off the internet as I felt I needed to update my current haul of menu's and information. They should arrive by midweek next week so I can stick my teeth into them.

The week's gone okay so far, I've been keeping a note of what I'm eating and keeping track of my syns. Today I'm on flexi syns though as we're going out for dinner in town; but I'm going to make a concerted effort to still keep it healthy. I've made sure that I still have me HEX A and B options free so I can use them when I'm out. (that's my way of being canny!) Any tips on flexi syns??

Having spent the week reading through other people's diaries I've also decided to set myself some mini goals to get me through these next three months. As follows:

Get into 13's

Lose 1/2 stone

5% of body weight

Lose 1 stone

Get into 12's

Lose 1 and 1/2 stone

10% of original body weight

BMI to Overweight

Lose 2 stone

On the website i've set my goal weight at 10st 10, which just brings me into the healthy weight section. At the minute I'm sticking with my 12st5 goal, as I want to take it slow and steady and not bite off more than I can chew!

Right, off to do some chores before getting ready for tonight.
:party0049:

x B
ecca

Hi Becca x

Good idea to sign up to SW online...it sounds like its really motivated you! And there's loads of info on there to keep u interested and up to date :)

How did last night go? Tbh I think with flexi syns, you're supposed to set yourself a limit ... Say 50... and then try not to go above it. But regardless of whether u have more or less syns than your limit, the whole point is that u don't have to 'pay them back' by going without for the rest of the week. You simply put it down to having a normal life, draw a line under it and then start again the following day.

So hopefully you had a brilliant time last night and really enjoyed yourself! And today you can just slip back into SW as if you hadn't even been out!

Have a good day xxx

Weigh In - Week One!!
So today I weighed in for the first time and have lost *drumroll* 4 AND A HALF POUNDS! I am over the moon (in case you couldn't tell!)

This first week has gone really well. I managed to fit in exercise nearly every day, with two rugby training sessions, one rugby match and two tag along sessions with my Mum's personal trainer. I even went iceskating with friends. This week I have set a goal for me to walk up and down escalators commuting to and from work and to try and do four 15minute Wii fit sessions on top of going to the gym and training.

As far as the EE plan went, I've found it really easy to find delicious things to eat and have yet to be hungry. Going out for a meal was quite a challenge but I stuck to my guns. I had a beetroot and feta starter (using the cheese as a HEXA) for the main I had roast hake with a risotto (I put this at 12 syns because of the cheese content, but asked for no oil) then as a treat to myself I had a chocolate pudding with pistachio icecream. (I made this 20 syns as it was really scrummy but managed to give at least half away to my parents) I also managed to nurse a gin and diet tonic for the entire meal, so that was 5syns. In total I kept it under 50 syns and even suggested to the family that we walk to the car instead of getting the tube!

My favourite thing so far has been a dinner of smoked salmon and courgette spaghetti. I had a huge portion and it was only 1 syn!! As a pre match breakfast I had the magic pancakes that I found on a thread in the recipe section. My word they were delicious and kept me going until post match teas, where I stuck to my guns and had a jacket potatoe with beans and no cheese; saving my hexA for some milk to drink on the way home (best way to rehydrate!)

Best be off now, loads to do. I'm going to try and have a free extra easy lunch today, using my new syn guide in M&S.

Will probably have another mid week update, as it seems to keep me motivated.

x Becca

Hi Becca, thought I'd have a nose at your diary! Small steps sound like you're on the right track, and well done for restraint on your meal out! It's so easy to just forget it for a night, but I know I'm much more determined this time, in it for the long haul..
I never got a chance to be a maintainer last time I did it pre my children (got pregnant so it piled back on and a bit more!).. Having loosely followed plan since the kids I know I can maintain a consistent weight, I just want to be at a weight I want go maintain! Bring on the small goals :)

Good luck with your goals, shall keep posted with interest!

L x

Quick midweek update:

IT'S SNOWING!!

Had a bit of a wonky start to the week, felt crap, couldnt be bothered to do anything. Ached like hell from rugby. Picked up a lot now, so hopefully a decent loss on Monday will be had.

Just on here mainly to enthuse about my dinner for this evening!! I've made Thai fishcakes, free on EE, ready to be cooked for this evening. They smell incredible already. Having them with noodles and pak choy. Then for pud I made the roulade I found on the SW website - is only going to be 1 and a half syns per slice as I used fresh raspberries. Didn't quite roll up as I would have liked, but I'm hoping it tastes great.

Feeling peckish now so am i going to have my hex A, some babybel's and an apple to curb the hunger pangs until dinner.

Until Monday my loves,

x Becca

Becca that's such a fantastic loss! You should be proud of yourself! Xxx

So I just realised that the reason I couldn't see your diary link before is cos I was on my phone and it doesn't show me people's signatures...so sorry for not popping by sooner!!
Reading through all your entries is making me hungry and inspiring me to get out and find some cool interesting recipes instead of sticking to the same old easy things! Mmmm I LOVE roulade...and raspberries! Also....where can I find the recipe for magic pancakes?!!! THank youuuuu :) xxxx

So I just realised that the reason I couldn't see your diary link before is cos I was on my phone and it doesn't show me people's signatures...so sorry for not popping by sooner!!
Reading through all your entries is making me hungry and inspiring me to get out and find some cool interesting recipes instead of sticking to the same old easy things! Mmmm I LOVE roulade...and raspberries! Also....where can I find the recipe for magic pancakes?!!! THank youuuuu :) xxxx

That's ok! Thanks for popping by. I update on Monday's and if I feel like it a midweek one too. So you haven't missed much.

I found the magic pancakes on several threads.

It's 35g of porridge (hex b) added to a mullerlight yoghurt flavour of your choice. Leave overnight for the oats to soak. Then in the morning, whisk in 2-3 eggs dependent on size and then fry using a little frylight. And voila. Magic pancakes, American style. I like mine with banana and raspberries, using vanilla yoghurt.

x

Humpffff. Just weighed in and I've stayed the same this week. Incredibly annoyed and disappointed. Generally disheartened all round. Was so looking forward to being in the 13 stone bracket.

I was doing great all week, but not 100%. Then had a very greedy weekend. So this is where I went wrong evidently. My syns for the week totalled something like 150, because I had a gluttenous Saturday with a friend. It was an eye opener though, and makes me understand how I gained so much weight. Totting up the syns of that one evening made me feel crap and realise that those foods really don't make me feel great about myself - so why the heck do I eat them?

I guess the one thing I can take from this week is rather make a big mistake like that happen in the early weeks, rather than later and compeltly sabotage everything. This week I shall change my ways, and here is how I am going to do it.

Step 1: Measure all my hex a's and b's and make sure I am eating them. I know I've forgotten my hex a's a few times.

Step 2: Fill up my plate with a 1/3 SF for EVERY meal. There have been meals where it's just been free foods and that's not the EE way

Step 3: Find an excuse to do some exercise everyday, on top of my rugby training. I can't keep falling into the laziness habit. It's not productive for anybody.

Step 4: Use my syns in meals, instead of depriving myself of delicious extras. I don't need to snack on biscuits to fill my syn quota.

Feeling a little better now, I guess. Haven't had breakfast yet - maybe that's making me feel slightly grumpier.

Anyone got any tips on what I can do? It would seem I'm a slow loser. WAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I'll try and log on every day this week to keep my motivation up.

x Becca

Humpffff. Just weighed in and I've stayed the same this week. Incredibly annoyed and disappointed. Generally disheartened all round. Was so looking forward to being in the 13 stone bracket.

I was doing great all week, but not 100%. Then had a very greedy weekend. So this is where I went wrong evidently. My syns for the week totalled something like 150, because I had a gluttenous Saturday with a friend. It was an eye opener though, and makes me understand how I gained so much weight. Totting up the syns of that one evening made me feel crap and realise that those foods really don't make me feel great about myself - so why the heck do I eat them?

I guess the one thing I can take from this week is rather make a big mistake like that happen in the early weeks, rather than later and compeltly sabotage everything. This week I shall change my ways, and here is how I am going to do it.

Step 1: Measure all my hex a's and b's and make sure I am eating them. I know I've forgotten my hex a's a few times.

Step 2: Fill up my plate with a 1/3 SF for EVERY meal. There have been meals where it's just been free foods and that's not the EE way

Step 3: Find an excuse to do some exercise everyday, on top of my rugby training. I can't keep falling into the laziness habit. It's not productive for anybody.

Step 4: Use my syns in meals, instead of depriving myself of delicious extras. I don't need to snack on biscuits to fill my syn quota.

Feeling a little better now, I guess. Haven't had breakfast yet - maybe that's making me feel slightly grumpier.

Anyone got any tips on what I can do? It would seem I'm a slow loser. WAAAAAAAAAAAA.

I'll try and log on every day this week to keep my motivation up.

x Becca

Hey Becca,
Dont be disheartened....you've still lost 4.5lbs over 2 weeks...if youd lost over 2 each week I bet you'd be pleased...so dont be so hard on yourself.

Sounds like you've pin pointed where the blip was this week...and to go over your syns by almost 50% and still STS is pretty good going! Could you also be gaining more muscle with the exericse you're doing, hence not seeing a loss in fat..but you might see a difference in measurements or pics?

Keep going Becca....You'd rather be a slow loser than a gainer!! :)

Xxxx

Hi Becca x

I think you've already listed some areas where you may not be quite 100% but really it could just have been one of those weeks where the scales don't play fair. Try not to worry too much ... Hopefully it will show next week xxx

I suppose you could try to speed things up a bit by doing a couple of Red Days or even SEx days (Success Express)? It seems to be common consensus that these two plans show bigger losses but as with anything, it depends on the individual xxx

Don't get down hunni...you're doing really well xxx

Back