BED

Baby_Cakes

Dave's little girl
I have BED and I have no real friends. Part of the recovery is said to be being accountable to another person.

Is anyone else suffering the same thing that would like to support one another in recovery? I really could do with some help!

Hi hon, I've just been reading another thread a few lines down, called 'what's your story? Share here'. There's a few mentions of binges there, so you might find some common ground. Have a good look around, it's a great site with help for everyone and no judgement. Good luck in your journey!

I just binge on fruit. Sounds crazy but I have dropped 80lbs this year. EVERY time I want sweet, i eat fruit. I eat unlimited rice. No oil, no animal products.

We all binge, lets binge on good stuff!!

I have a history of bulimia and I still binge sometimes although a lot less now, it is such a nightmare to overcome isn't it! Keep trying to overcome it, even very gradual changes all add up! I'm afraid binging on fruit just wouldn't work for me.

I've suffered from BED for years, and i've done lots of psych work which has all been aimed at normalising my attitude to food and stopping binging / abusing food.

The problem for me has been that 'normalising' doesn't make me lose weight, and if i want to lose wight, i need to diet, and that used to set off the BED behaviours.

out of desparation, i tried a vlcd - and that has worked in terms of losing weight, because the food packs mean that it's almost like abstaining from eating altogether... like a holiday from the guilt and the food issues.

but i don't kid myself, i'm going to have a whole mess of psych problems to deal with when i get to goal, and who knows what more harm this seven or eight months of ultra-weirdness will have done.

I wouldn't recommend a vlcd, btw - because i think it was a high-risk strategy and it could have made things much worse.

Baby_Cakes said:
I lost 3 stone on a VLCD two years ago - I am now the same weight as when I started it.

They dont work.

No diets work if you overeat when you get to goal. Sadly (depending on which research you look at) 80-95% of dieters will regain weight. Statistically, this is no more likely on a vlcd.

What the stats do tell us is that if you do regain after a vlcd, you'll do it faster, but on the other hand, for the morbidly obese, vlcds have a higher success rate of getting to goal in the first place.

No diet is perfect, and vlcds are far from it - but just because other types of diet haven't worked for me, it doesn't mean the diets themselves don't work. Like every other diet, they work for a small minority of people in the long term.

I am trying to work out the best way for me to loose weight and keep it off. While i would like to vlcd this is not visable due to a very strict husband.

I think i will have to healthy eat and exercise or find a diet that works with normal food (dukan). I think I need to find a plan and stick to it rigidly.

Good luck baby cakes, I'm a binge eater too. I'm going to try a vlcd for the first time, my hubbie was against it too but I promised to stop whinging about losing weight and he has agreed in the short term.
Once I lose the weight I'm hoping I can focus on staying healthy to maintain?

I identify as a compulsive eater, a VLCD was a disaster for me personally. I lasted ten weeks and suddenly got hungry, possibly due to a change in meds. My food obsession has been worse than ever in the last six years and yet I keep on trying to do a VLCD again even though I know I cannot.

My most recent attempt was last month and I lasted six days (usually don't make it past first day and though I was doing well) before caving in and eating a takeaway.

I would also love to low carb as starch and sugar just sets up cravings for choccie and crisps. I can't seem to stick to anything right now. I have been eating a lot less than usual the past week or so but I am still having binge foods, albeit less and that's the trouble.:sigh:

Last edited:
Lynne are you finding slimpod is helping you?

I listened for the 21 days but I didnt complete the booklet as i couldnt print it out. Started listening again last night after a break of a few weeks. I'm not 100% sure it's helping but it's not doing me any harm and I'm gonna wire in my printer and get a good read of booklet.

sounds good. I think i need to start attempting to break the cycle. Things like finding alternatives would be good for me. I am going to try and break the cycle by exercising instead of eating - cant do much harm can it?

My vlcd was a disaster, well I lasted 10 days but I hated it and I'm back in the grip of binging again:( I'm toying with the idea of trying ww again, I tried to just eat healthy but couldnt manage it. I'm sick of myself!

Back